Fender Flares

JOHN73738

Good Evening,

Quick question, what are recommendations for steel fender flares? Been looking and am thinking about DV8 with inner liners. Also kinda like the look of Iron Cross.

Anyone have suggestions?

Stay Safe,

Bear

fiend

Caught the Bug
There are lots of options. A lot of it is aesthetics: do you like they way they look? Finish quality is another consideration. A lot of the cheaper/no name brands have poor quality control and poor powder coating. That can lead to rust issues if you are in a place with a lot of rain/snow. Generally you get what you pay for. Poison Spider, Nemesis, etc are good quality but pricy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Metal flares look great (I think Poison Spyder’s look and fit the best by far). Just know that if you actually hit any metal flares on something, you will screw up your tub.

jdofmemi

Personally, I feel that everything I have seen from DV-8 is a foreign made knock off of a quality part made by someone else.

I don't want to support that practice, so I tend to stick to American made products, when I can.

Plenty of quality parts available without breaking the bank.

JJ151

Metal flares look great (I think Poison Spyder’s look and fit the best by far). Just know that if you actually hit any metal flares on something, you will screw up your tub.

Doesn’t Poison Spyder crusher flares tie into the sub structure behind the sheet metal thereby providing actual armor protection or is that just hype?

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Good Evening,

Quick question, what are recommendations for steel fender flares? Been looking and am thinking about DV8 with inner liners. Also kinda like the look of Iron Cross.

Anyone have suggestions?

Stay Safe,

Bear
Get what makes you happy. As Jerry said DV8 always seems to be a knock-off of something else. I'm partial to Nemesis. Great quality and perfect fit.

Just know that if you actually hit any metal flares on something, you will screw up your tub.

Pretty bold statement. Just a quick google search doesn't support that. I guess it really depends on how hard you actually hit something. Yes it happens, but plastic fenders being ripped off can and have damaged sheet metal.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Pretty bold statement. Just a quick google search doesn't support that. I guess it really depends on how hard you actually hit something. Yes it happens, but plastic fenders being ripped off can and have damaged sheet metal.

Well, I have personally watched it happen on the Rubicon with PS flares, and with a hit that would not have done body damage with factory flares. I have yet to see someone cause significant body damage pulling off a factory fender.

Can you prove me wrong by finding some google pic of someone, somewhere, saying the opposite? Maybe. But it’s pretty simple to see that if you bolt something more rigid than the factory sheet metal to the factory sheet metal, it’s going to survive a hit better than the factory sheet metal.

I run something similar to the DV8’s on my 2015. No fucking way they AREN’T crushing in my body if they take a hit. You can’t hit a steel tube against tin foil and expect the tube to bend instead of the foil.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Well, I have personally watched it happen on the Rubicon with PS flares, and with a hit that would not have done body damage with factory flares. I have yet to see someone cause significant body damage pulling off a factory fender.

Can you prove me wrong by finding some google pic of someone, somewhere, saying the opposite? Maybe. But it’s pretty simple to see that if you bolt something more rigid than the factory sheet metal to the factory sheet metal, it’s going to survive a hit better than the factory sheet metal.

I run something similar to the DV8’s on my 2015. No fucking way they AREN’T crushing in my body if they take a hit. You can’t hit a steel tube against tin foil and expect the tube to bend instead of the foil.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE[/QUOT
Not that I have to prove anything to you , but yes there are plenty postings of people saying they had no damage after hitting or bumping trees, rocks and even deer.
I do agree that chance of body damage is more likely to happen with metal fenders, but it's not going to fucking happen 100% of the time.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve taken a good hit/drag in my passenger rear nemesis fender with no damage to the sheet metal. I think it all depends on the angle snd severity. I think any short of a cut factory flare that will bend relatively easily, could cause body damage, but it all depends on the hit

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I’ve taken a good hit/drag in my passenger rear nemesis fender with no damage to the sheet metal. I think it all depends on the angle snd severity. I think any short of a cut factory flare that will bend relatively easily, could cause body damage, but it all depends on the hit

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That's is good here.
I was thinking after posting that I had probably doomed myself to a crushed quarter panel. And i agree you hit it hard enough and it's going to give.
I often see people post photos of their kids or someone sitting on the hood and I think damn how does that not dent the hood. Hell when I wash the damn thing it flexes.:crazyeyes:

wjtstudios

Hooked
That's is good here.
I was thinking after posting that I had probably doomed myself to a crushed quarter panel. And i agree you hit it hard enough and it's going to give.
I often see people post photos of their kids or someone sitting on the hood and I think damn how does that not dent the hood. Hell when I wash the damn thing it flexes.:crazyeyes:

I agree, get hit by a hard enough gust of wind while driving and you can see the hood flex. But I do think the steel they are using now has a better memory and comes back to shape better than it used too as well. Same could be said of the quarters behind the fenders.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

JOHN73738

Thanks all for the replies, decided on Fishbone for both flairs and inner liners. When I get them I will post pics of the finished product, also doing the rocker guard to replace the stock Rubicon guard.

JOHN73738

So change of plans, ordered the Iron Cross fender flares with Ace fender liners as I really like to support American made. Anyone have experience with these? I have a full width LOD Destroyer front bumper and am a little afraid that they may be too narrow and will look odd.

Guess a bit late now lol.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
So change of plans, ordered the Iron Cross fender flares with Ace fender liners as I really like to support American made. Anyone have experience with these? I have a full width LOD Destroyer front bumper and am a little afraid that they may be too narrow and will look odd.

Guess a bit late now lol.
I have the LOD mid-width bumper and was concerned about how it would look with narrow fenders.
20190614_162951.jpg

I can live with it for now but I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a FMF Apex Pinnacle. https://www.fullmetalfabworks.com/apex-2-front
Snap41.png
Full width not a chance..
Oh and If you or anyone else is interested I have LOD Destroyer Midth-Width w/bottom armor front bumper for sale.. Not a mark on it.

Last edited:

JOHN73738

Thanks, going to have to live with it for now. Saw a pic with them with a stock bumper and did not look too off.

Top Bottom