Fatty lumps on our dog

rinkishjk

I'm hoping some of you have experience with lumps/fatty cysts on dogs.
Our dog who is lab/chow mix has had a lump which we think is fatty on the back of her right leg for some time. I believe at one point we had it, along with a few others checked and they were fatty.
Now this one on her leg is about the size of a golf ball, and seems to be making her limp a bit, and I think it gets In the way when she goes bathroom..
We are taking her in tomorrow to find out exactly what it is, and hopefully it's fatty and gets removed. She is 12 years old, and we love her dearly.
Has anyone had experience with this issue? Share your story.

Attachments

• 1365447755189.jpg
    1365447755189.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 1365447775037.jpg
    1365447775037.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 127

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It is mostly likely a non cancerous tumor. I had a chow/lab mix and when he got older he started to get them all over. Take him to the vet and see what they say.

rinkishjk

It is mostly likely a non cancerous tumor. I had a chow/lab mix and when he got older he started to get them all over. Take him to the vet and see what they say.

Thanks for the quick answer and a good one! I'm trying so hard to think positive and not the "c" word...
We are taking her in tomorrow for a check and I'm guessing a biopsy. I have done some reading and labs, and older female dogs are prone to lumps.

Our dog is prob the most expensive dog ever. Her body doesn't make the right ph level in her urine, so she has been on a special food diet her whole life. She has kushings, which is at bay now with meds.. She can't have any meat products due to allergys. She eats wellness dry whitefish dry food..
So Yea she almost lives up to the jeep motto.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for the quick answer and a good one! I'm trying so hard to think positive and not the "c" word...
We are taking her in tomorrow for a check and I'm guessing a biopsy. I have done some reading and labs, and older female dogs are prone to lumps.

We had a male and we put him down when he was 11 I think due to a lot of different medical issues. He started getting them when he was probably around 9 or so. They didn't get in his way and he was happy as could be even the day we put him down. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Its normally on that breed. Best of luck to you and your girl!

Our dog is prob the most expensive dog ever. Her body doesn't make the right ph level in her urine, so she has been on a special food diet her whole life. She has kushings, which is at bay now with meds.. She can't have any meat products due to allergys. She eats wellness dry whitefish dry food..
So Yea she almost lives up to the jeep motto.

:cheesy: My old dog had health issues as well. He had to take 3 or 4 pills twice a day. More then me and my brother when we were growing up. :cheesy:

rinkishjk

We had a male and we put him down when he was 11 I think due to a lot of different medical issues. He started getting them when he was probably around 9 or so. They didn't get in his way and he was happy as could be even the day we put him down. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Its normally on that breed. Best of luck to you and your girl!

:cheesy: My old dog had health issues as well. He had to take 3 or 4 pills twice a day. More then me and my brother when we were growing up. :cheesy:

Dam well I guess she isn't alone.
We got her for free from someone giving puppies away, and she has made up for the cost 10 times over already.
I'm totally thinking positive, but my wife isn't.. She had a friend who's dog had to have the leg amputated due to it wrapping around all the muscles and tissues..
It's definitely a hard place to be in.

billybob990

I had a lab that got one on his side it wasn't attached to anything but the skin and the vet said it was a non cancerous tumor like noted before, he had it for about six years and the vet said he was to old to operate on and said it would be fine. Well my dog, be the stubborn little shit he was, got tired of it and began to bite at it a lot and one day we came home and he had ripped it all the way open and wouldn't stop bleeding so we had to put him down. As long as the dog doesn't mind it I would leave it be. But ours was about the size of a hamburger bun so you can imagine how annoying that would be.

rinkishjk

I had a lab that got one on his side it wasn't attached to anything but the skin and the vet said it was a non cancerous tumor like noted before, he had it for about six years and the vet said he was to old to operate on and said it would be fine. Well my dog, be the stubborn little shit he was, got tired of it and began to bite at it a lot and one day we came home and he had ripped it all the way open and wouldn't stop bleeding so we had to put him down. As long as the dog doesn't mind it I would leave it be. But ours was about the size of a hamburger bun so you can imagine how annoying that would be.

Yea hers is about a golf ball size... I can't imagine one hamburger size.. That's big! I saw some people online who had ones basketball size. Wow! That's a sad story about your pup, and I don't think our dog would mess with it. She hasn't in the few years she has had it.
Was your lab pure lab, or a mut?

billybob990

He was pure lab, smartest dog I've ever seen. His mom and dad were in a lot of duck magazine's. He got the lump at 8 and died at 14.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Our dog is a lab/hound mixmut. She dog has a few fatty lumps and then some other strange bumps. We take her to the vet regularly and they have always said there just non-cancerous tumors. She has a fatty lump on here eyelid that was growing and the vet rubber-banded it off. He said it would grow back and they couldn't cut it out because its root is on her eyelid. It's about the size of a shelled peanut. It doesn't seem to bother her, but she sometimes hits it on something and it bleeds a little. She is 11-12, she was a pound rescue so we could only guess here age.

We have some friends with a greyhound mix that has a fatty lump the size of an egg on it's chest. It looks like the dog got an implant. :cheesy:

Wish you and her the best!

Last edited:

rinkishjk

Our dog is a lab/hound mixmut. She dog has a few fatty lumps and then some other strange bumps. We take her to the vet regularly and they have always said there just non-cancerous tumors. She has a fatty lump on here eyelid that was growing and the vet rubber-banded it off. He said it would grow back and they couldn't cut it out because its root is on her eyelid. It's about the size of a shelled peanut. It doesn't seem to bother her, but she sometimes hits it on something and it bleeds a little. She is 11-12, she was a pound rescue so we could only guess here age.

We have some friends with a greyhound mix that has a fatty lump the size of an egg on it's chest. It looks like the dog got an implant. :cheesy:

I read about the ones on the eyelid.. They have a name, but I don't recall. My dog has one behind her right front leg also that's about marble size, and another on the side of her chest which both definitely are fatty. Don't greyhounds also have hip issues like rotties and Shepards?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
We found a lump on our huskys breast last year. We had it cut out. It turned out to cancer. They wanted to give her chemo and all kinds of shit. We declined anything.
They gave her 6 months to live, it's been close to a year. Good luck ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365454810.669281.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365454794.618308.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365454794.618308.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 80

rinkishjk

We found a lump on our huskys breast last year. We had it cut out. It turned out to cancer. They wanted to give her chemo and all kinds of shit. We declined anything.
They gave her 6 months to live, it's been close to a year. Good luck View attachment 23616

Yea we would definitely decline any chemo or anything like that. At this point we want her to have a nice comfortable life for her remainder. I hope your dog has a great long life Chris. She looks happy in the pics!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
That was yesterday at the dog park. She's just like she has always been. She's 12 anyhow. It doesn't make sense to put them though chemo.

Hell it would have killed her quicker than letting nature take its course

Good luck, I hope they find nothing on your dog.

MTG

Caught the Bug
FYI--Animal chemo and human chemo is not the same thing. Namely, they do not take them to the brink of death in an attempt to erradicate all cancer cells from the body and your dog's hair will not fall out. In fact, with the medicines they have today the animals often don't even get sick from treatment. :thumb:

Good looking dog pig.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm hoping some of you have experience with lumps/fatty cysts on dogs.
Our dog who is lab/chow mix has had a lump which we think is fatty on the back of her right leg for some time. I believe at one point we had it, along with a few others checked and they were fatty.
Now this one on her leg is about the size of a golf ball, and seems to be making her limp a bit, and I think it gets In the way when she goes bathroom..
We are taking her in tomorrow to find out exactly what it is, and hopefully it's fatty and gets removed. She is 12 years old, and we love her dearly.
Has anyone had experience with this issue? Share your story.

I read page 2 first. Hopefully it's just a fatty tumor and you are on your way quickly. :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Our dog is prob the most expensive dog ever.

I hear that. We call our dog the "million dollar dog."

Expensive to buy: Check
Special food: Check
Senior citizen list of drugs: Check
Crazy unexplained health issues her whole life: Check
Cancer: Check

I don't even like to think about it, but I'd estimate she costs us around $400/month. :eek:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
FYI--Animal chemo and human chemo is not the same thing. Namely, they do not take them to the brink of death in an attempt to erradicate all cancer cells from the body and your dog's hair will not fall out. In fact, with the medicines they have today the animals often don't even get sick from treatment. :thumb:

Good looking dog pig.

Good to know!

rinkishjk

I hear that. We call our dog the "million dollar dog."

Expensive to buy: Check
Special food: Check
Senior citizen list of drugs: Check
Crazy unexplained health issues her whole life: Check
Cancer: Check

I don't even like to think about it, but I'd estimate she costs us around $400/month. :eek:

Wow that's alot of money. They become a huge part of the family, and the money thing after awhile doesn't seem to matter.
Well she is gonna get checked out later on today and I will share what happens.

Top Bottom