Factory Rubicon Skids

jamesrw30

So when I bought my jeep it does not have any of the factory skids. I know it had some collision damage before so I'm assuming they just never got out back on. What I'm curious about is it worth getting aftermarket to go on or hit some junk yards and pull factory stuff? Also, what all should it have come with factory?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So when I bought my jeep it does not have any of the factory skids. I know it had some collision damage before so I'm assuming they just never got out back on. What I'm curious about is it worth getting aftermarket to go on or hit some junk yards and pull factory stuff? Also, what all should it have come with factory?
Like nothing? No gas tank skid either? If it’s auto and 12 or newer I would get synergy gas tank and trans skid and someone’s oil pan skid but that’s it. If you don’t really wheel, you could get a junkyard gas tank but they are a pain in the ass to remove it’s almost easier to order a new one.

jamesrw30

I'd have to look for the gas tank skid. It probably has that. I know there's nothing when you're looking from the front. I'll look into the other stuff. I wasn't completely sure what all it should have. It's a 16 auto. I won't be wheeling hard core and haven't even gotten to take it out yet. But I want to be doing some planning and pricing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The gas tank is held in place with a factory skid plate. Your transfer case should have something protecting it too. Do you really not have either? If not, what's holding your gas tank in place?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to look for the gas tank skid. It probably has that. I know there's nothing when you're looking from the front. I'll look into the other stuff. I wasn't completely sure what all it should have. It's a 16 auto. I won't be wheeling hard core and haven't even gotten to take it out yet. But I want to be doing some planning and pricing.
Take a pic of what your Jeep looks like from underneath and post it up.

jamesrw30

The gas tank skid is likely there. Like I said, I'm also educating as what all it should have. This is my first Rubicon. I'll take some pictures and post up. Thank you gusy

jamesrw30

Went and had a look see. Gas tank, evap canister and transfer case are present. Nothing on oil pan or trans. I know there's supposed to be something up front that is missing. The cross member in the front is obviously bent I'm assuming due to whatever impact. So am I just missing trans and oil pan?

Attachments

• PXL_20230802_235714182.jpg
    PXL_20230802_235714182.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20230802_235708457.jpg
    PXL_20230802_235708457.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 27

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Went and had a look see. Gas tank, evap canister and transfer case are present. Nothing on oil pan or trans. I know there's supposed to be something up front that is missing. The cross member in the front is obviously bent I'm assuming due to whatever impact. So am I just missing trans and oil pan?
The front air dam is missing. It’s not a skid. That crash bar is cut off with a lot of aftermarket bumpers anyway. Not a big deal.

the trans “skid” is hardly that. Get aftermarket. Oil pan has no skid from factory.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Everything that should have come on your Jeep from the factory is all there. I believe after 2009, there was no more transmission skid. By 2011, a flimsy bar was added to protect things but that's it. You really don't need anything else.

jamesrw30

Well fantastic. I've been obsessing over this since I got it, now I know I'm just being an idiot. Which, let's be honest, I'm really used to. Just ask my wife. Thank you gents. You are scholars and gentlemen of the highest caliber, or something like that.

jamesrw30

I do plan on wheeling but it will be quite a while before I can do any serious mods or beating on it. I have a feeling it will stay stock for some time. Unless I win the lottery that I have to go to a different state to play.

Top Bottom