Expensive bumpers worth it?

aTX427

I am all about weight savings. That 1/4 Pounder is really nice. Expensive, but nice. I like how they were able to make it entirely out of aluminum by strengthening the webs under the winch mount. Most other manufacturers use a steel plate that bolts to the frame and surround it with an aluminum shell. The result tends to save weight, but are typically heavier than simple stubby bumpers. I did a front frame chop on this one, which shaved off another pound or two. I think this bumper weighs in at 23lbs.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
This conversation reminds me of my motocross days. When I bought my 1990 YZ 250, back in the day, it came with steel handle bars which got badly bent the first time I dumped it. Shortly thereafter I bought after market aluminum bars and never bent them. The point is that any material will bend and stay deformed if taken past the yield point.

Some aluminum has 1/2 the strength of some steels and approximately 1/3the weight. Using that as a guild shows that aluminum that is 3 times thicker, but the same weight as steel, should have an increased yield by 50% in theory, if the application allows.

In the case of my handle bars, the steel ones had a tube thickness of around 1/16" or so. The aluminum bars were around 3/16" thick and about the same weight, but were probably around 50% stronger.

A disadvantage of aluminum is that once the material is pushed past yield, it loses a lot more strength when brought back. Steel is more forgiving in this respect.

As far as the aluminum core tie rod; sounds like bs to me, but I would be interested in seeing some testing on it compared to others.

LOL, I put aluminum bars on my 78 Maico and they looked like droopy dog ears after I dumped it off of a big jump I had no business trying back in my dumber days :rolleyes2:
Point taken above because there are so many factors behind how materials can be made stronger. I just wonder how an aluminum bumper will take repeated hits with the full weight of a Jeep coming down on it. I'm not saying it won't but it seems likely that it wouldn't hold up over the long run as well as a steel one would.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
LOL, I put aluminum bars on my 78 Maico and they looked like droopy dog ears after I dumped it off of a big jump I had no business trying back in my dumber days :rolleyes2:
Point taken above because there are so many factors behind how materials can be made stronger. I just wonder how an aluminum bumper will take repeated hits with the full weight of a Jeep coming down on it. I'm not saying it won't but it seems likely that it wouldn't hold up over the long run as well as a steel one would.

I agree that an aluminum bumper might not be the best thing, but that's because of the thicknesses of materials that are typically used. Take the Genright - Ultra Clearance JK Lo-Pro Winch Guard Front Bumper; made from 3/16" thick 6061 Aluminum ($800). This mall rated beauty is thinner than most top tier steel bumpers! Doesn't make sense to me. Using the guidelines mentioned above, they should make it from 3/4" aluminum which would make it about the same weight as if it were made from 1/4" steel and have increased strength. Unfortunately, the added thickness in this case is probably not conducive to making a suitable design due to space constraints. This is an application where steel excels.

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

Ps: cool bike for the day!

IMG_4606.jpg

Draconianwinter

I will just say if you're looking for something that will take hit after hit on something like a bumper which in some instances is used to ramp the jeep up into an ledge or other obstacle I would go with steel as the aluminum while nice looking will likely be destroyed over time. I get they make pats under the jeep like control arms and such out of aluminum, but those are specifically made to react a certain way like flexing instead of bending or breaking.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I will just say if you're looking for something that will take hit after hit on something like a bumper which in some instances is used to ramp the jeep up into an ledge or other obstacle I would go with steel as the aluminum while nice looking will likely be destroyed over time. I get they make pats under the jeep like control arms and such out of aluminum, but those are specifically made to react a certain way like flexing instead of bending or breaking.

Kudos to that. My rear bumper was aluminum and dented when I looked at it. My front bumper/grill guard has run into trees, been used to pull trees down, and has accidentally ripped the side of a shed (I blame bad hand signals on this one, the pipe edge caught on some flashing and off the wall went). The worst it's done is pop a weld in the aforementioned wall but other than that it's been the sturdiest thing on my Jeep.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gadget

Caught the Bug

78 Maico, wow you've been around awhile, reminds me of the days of Danny Chandler.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app IMG_0982.JPG

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
There's quite a price difference between bumpers out there, even among quality brands.

EVO Quarter Pounder - $400 powdercoat included
View attachment 259288

LoD Destroyer - $600 bare steel
View attachment 259286

GenRight - $935 bare aluminum
View attachment 259287

I'd love to have the GenRight bumper. But would I be happier with a quarter pounder and an ARB Compressor for the same amount?

This is meant as a general question but I have looked at those 3 specific bumpers.

To get back on track, I see a lot of cheap bumpers where I live, but out west, I've seen some quality brands. The fit, finish, and construction of EVO, LoD, RockHard, and the Poison Spyder stuff, is far above some of the rest, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

PHX JK

This is a good thread for me right now. Thanks guys.
I'm torn between the LOD signature stubby with the stinger and the EVO 1/4 pounder with stinger,
I like the way both of them fit the winch nice and low. Like one of the other posters said I like every
thing I've seen EVO make. I have the Enforcer 4in kit and the rear tire carrier (Door Hinge type)
Between the EVO and the LOD to me
EVO Pros
1) I have other EVO Stuff
2) the EVO looks to have better clearence
3) the EVO Looks stronger
LOD Pros
1) A Bigger Stinger
2) Less Work to Install
3) It's setup for Fog Lights
It's a Tough Call
PHX

Draconianwinter

This is a good thread for me right now. Thanks guys.
I'm torn between the LOD signature stubby with the stinger and the EVO 1/4 pounder with stinger,
I like the way both of them fit the winch nice and low. Like one of the other posters said I like every
thing I've seen EVO make. I have the Enforcer 4in kit and the rear tire carrier (Door Hinge type)
Between the EVO and the LOD to me
EVO Pros
1) I have other EVO Stuff
2) the EVO looks to have better clearence
3) the EVO Looks stronger
LOD Pros
1) A Bigger Stinger
2) Less Work to Install
3) It's setup for Fog Lights
It's a Tough Call
PHX
I am sure no matter which one you decide you well be happy with it. However I don't run either of them so can't say anything other than not heard a complaint about either company so far

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I've also been looking around for a front bumper for good few weeks now. I seem to be changing my mind every week lol. I like poison spyder, evo, lod and my newest choice Full Metal Fabworks. Also made in USA, smaller company so you don't hear or see them that much. I came across this digging through some older threads on here. Thanks Ddays for sharing this one with me
IMG_4626.JPG
IMG_4628.JPG

This week I am leaning towards this one, but this might change next week again

Draconianwinter

I've also been looking around for a front bumper for good few weeks now. I seem to be changing my mind every week lol. I like poison spyder, evo, lod and my newest choice Full Metal Fabworks. Also made in USA, smaller company so you don't hear or see them that much. I came across this digging through some older threads on here. Thanks Ddays for sharing this one with me
View attachment 259503
View attachment 259504

This week I am leaning towards this one, but this might change next week again

Not heard anything bad about that company, but like you said smaller company not as well known. The PSC bumper I can tell you that it looks great on my jk and it is well built. I have the brawler lite front and brawler II rear. Only problem I have with the rear is it is not designed to mount a 35 inch tire to the stock tire carrier so I had to get a spare tire relocation bracket to raise it up a little bit.

Top Bottom