EVO Quater Pounder Bumper finish

BruceyZ06

I'm looking at the EVO 1/4 pounder bumper. For those of you that have them. How's the powder coating on them? I noticed you can order them bare or powder coated?

Also, Should I do with steel or aluminum?

Maybe a 30lbs weight savings I was told at EVO.

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Going aluminum will save you weight for sure and depending on what you're needing, that can be a big help. As far as finish goes, EVO has changed powder coaters and their new one is much better. That said, I typically get their stuff bare and use a local shop to finish it.

BruceyZ06

Going aluminum will save you weight for sure and depending on what you're needing, that can be a big help. As far as finish goes, EVO has changed powder coaters and their new one is much better. That said, I typically get their stuff bare and use a local shop to finish it.
True on the weight savings. But enough to actually notice?
Yeah I’m looking at the one at Northridge4x4. I’m curious how long that quarter pounder had been on the shelf for. If it’s done by their recent powder coaters…

WJCO

Meme King
True on the weight savings. But enough to actually notice?
Yeah I’m looking at the one at Northridge4x4. I’m curious how long that quarter pounder had been on the shelf for. If it’s done by their recent powder coaters…
Northridge blows.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Regarding your question though, while their new powder coater is much better than before, mine is still rusting. Although I live in Hawai’i where there’s lots of salt in the air and acid rain.
B84C00B4-9C19-4422-8D78-CEF46DA6DE54.jpeg
24D4AADD-8311-427C-98C7-43614CCF2542.jpeg

AZVAJKU

Hooked
I have a steel 1/4 Pounder on my JK and an aluminum 1/4 Pounder on the wife’s Gladiator. Both have rattle can finishes. When they get scratched I can easily touch them up and they look nice enough for us.

The aluminum is much lighter which is why I used it on the diesel Gladiator. I wanted less weight up front with that heavy motor. Also the Gladiator does not see hard use. Something to know is that the aluminum bumper is also two pieces. The bumper is aluminum and the winch mounting plate is steel.

The steel bumper is one piece and your winch mounts directly to it.

Both bumpers are awesome and you can’t go wrong with either. Both set ups provide solid winch mounting points.

I would say in deciding between steel and aluminum it’s a matter of how hard you intend to use the bumper. Hard use go with steel as it will resist rock-rash much better.

As far as bare or powdercoat- if you are really about looks I’d get it bare and have it locally finished. If you are not so picky get it bare and paint it yourself. I used self-etching primer and then semi-gloss black. Steel-It also works well. When the bumper gets scratched I just touch it up with fresh paint.

Andy5160

Hooked
I had mine for close to two years now and there is rust all over the bumper. Been touching up by using VHT roll bar and chassis paint. I would buy it unfinished and either paint myself or give it my local powder coater

Thank you all for your responses. I think I'm going to order on raw.
With big heavy parts like a bumper, I would suggest ordering it raw as there’s a good chance it will get damaged during shipping. Another option for coating that has worked out really nice for us is Steel-It. It’s still cheaper that powder coat and it lays really nice and heavy. A plus side is that it touches up really well.

We are a vendor here so happy to help
if we can 👍🏼

I believe I have an older Quarter Pounder and the powder coating has definitely held up to its abuse. I live in Cali, (unfortunately lol) so some slight chipping and rust in a couple corners, but I found a rattle can that matches so touching it up here and there is a breeze. A small price to pay for an absolutely solid bumper in my opinion.

BruceyZ06

I believe I have an older Quarter Pounder and the powder coating has definitely held up to its abuse. I live in Cali, (unfortunately lol) so some slight chipping and rust in a couple corners, but I found a rattle can that matches so touching it up here and there is a breeze. A small price to pay for an absolutely solid bumper in my opinion.

Thanks for the response! I live in New Mexico (very dry out here) and my JT is not my daily. Mainly sits in my garage. Which rattle can do you use for touch ups? I may pull the trigger on the already power coat and take a risk...

JimLee

Hooked
With big heavy parts like a bumper, I would suggest ordering it raw as there’s a good chance it will get damaged during shipping. Another option for coating that has worked out really nice for us is Steel-It. It’s still cheaper that powder coat and it lays really nice and heavy. A plus side is that it touches up really well.

We are a vendor here so happy to help
if we can 👍🏼
I think alot of people are turned off on Steel-it by the price. I tried it myself after having to recently repaint a bunch of frame fab work will never use anything different again, stuffs amazing.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I doubt you have an older one. Their old crappy powdercoat was more an issue like 6+ years ago.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Thanks for the response! I live in New Mexico (very dry out here) and my JT is not my daily. Mainly sits in my garage. Which rattle can do you use for touch ups? I may pull the trigger on the already power coat and take a risk...
I live in New Mexico also. When I had my steel Quarter Pounder on my JK and previous Gladiator the EVO powder coat held up but did show signs of rust in areas. I think you’ll be good with EVO powder coat or rattle can. Just touch it up when you see it.

Top Bottom