Evo hd sway bar links install question

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I have a craftsman torque wrench and I use it all the time. I can only hope it works right but at this point I don't know.

So I spoke with Evo Mfg directly just now and the tech informed me they torque all their bolts to 80 foot pounds even though they are not grade 8. He said I can do whatever but that's what they do all the time with no issues. He also said the bolt cannot be removed once its torqued down and must be cut off? Sounds sketchy to me but I was unable to back off the nut so maybe he's correct. He informed that once the joints need replacing after one or two years the bolts must be cut off. Then you purchase a maintenance kit that includes new joints and nuts. Wish I had known that before I ordered a second set of hd links today. Lol. Learning as I go along is all I can do.

Thanks again guys. Appreciate this forum and the quick responses. Nice to know I can always reach out when shit goes topsy.

Well, am glad I didn't tighten them too much. I took them on and off like 3 or 4 since the install. I always make some marks on my bolts so I can see if it moved, i did it when I originally put them on and every time I put them back on they stay where they should. I just went as I could with some box wrenches.

tharb5111

Ummm, how on earth is that even possible? You use a 16mm and hold the opposite side while you take off the 19mm nut. Sounds like complete BS.

So if I need to take my links off to do maintenance I have to cut them? I highly disbelieve this and will do it tonight just to make a point.

That would be great. Please do. At this point I'm totally unsure what the hell is going on. I am just going to tighten them snug when they get in tomorrow and hope for the best. I will say though that the nut would not come off after I torqued and stripped of out! Lol. I thought it was super odd thing to hear from them too. Seems really sketchy. The same thing crossed my mind too. What if I need to remove them to drop the axle and swap springx? Let me know if you get it off okay. At this point I do not want to mess with mine one bit. My new parts arrive tomorrow and I'm just ready to get this instAll behind me. Way more issues than there should have been on something so simple.

tharb5111

Well, am glad I didn't tighten them too much. I took them on and off like 3 or 4 since the install. I always make some marks on my bolts so I can see if it moved, i did it when I originally put them on and every time I put them back on they stay where they should. I just went as I could with some box wrenches.

That's a relief to read. I'm sure I just got a bad bolt or nut or I screwed up the install and cross threaded or something. Who knows. I got 3 of The 4 bolts on okay The links look beefy and I'm sure they will work great. I just need to get them snug and not worry about getting them to 80 foot pounds. I'm thinking snug is around 60 foot pounds which is fine on a grade 5 bolt from what I read. Just wonder if evo said 80 foot pounds by mistake on a grade 5 bolt this seems extreme. I'm going snug and done like you did. Seems good enough. Especially if it allows me to get them off again without stripping them out.

tharb5111

Just found this: the jks rear swaybar connects are very similar in design to the evo hd connects in that both seem to use grade 5, 1\2 inch bolts and nuts. however The jks install instructions say to tighten their nut to 40 foot pounds where evo says 80 foot pounds. My wife just said I need to let this go. I'm like a man possessed in search of the answer to this mystery. Snug and done when the new parts arrive tomorrow.

aermotor

They are lock nuts so they aren't really going to move. Tighten them by hand as hard as you want and leave them alone and they will be fine. This is not an excuse against regular maintenance and checking up on your rig. I'm sure you will be fine.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ummm, how on earth is that even possible? You use a 16mm and hold the opposite side while you take off the 19mm nut. Sounds like complete BS.

So if I need to take my links off to do maintenance I have to cut them? I highly disbelieve this and will do it tonight just to make a point.

Well it's standard not metric.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tgoss

Just found this: the jks rear swaybar connects are very similar in design to the evo hd connects in that both seem to use grade 5, 1\2 inch bolts and nuts. however The jks install instructions say to tighten their nut to 40 foot pounds where evo says 80 foot pounds. My wife just said I need to let this go. I'm like a man possessed in search of the answer to this mystery. Snug and done when the new parts arrive tomorrow.

...... they are fvcking sway bar end links...... your wife and the main asset to your happiness has very solid advice.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

I did a leveling kit on my buddies Ram1500 about a month ago. It's a little different sway bar setup in the front then jeep but sway bar is a sway bar. Anyway the torque spec for his links called for 25ft lbs, no joke lol, I think I went 30 when I did it.

tharb5111

I did a leveling kit on my buddies Ram1500 about a month ago. It's a little different sway bar setup in the front then jeep but sway bar is a sway bar. Anyway the torque spec for his links called for 25ft lbs, no joke lol, I think I went 30 when I did it.

Wow that's like finger tight. Lol

tharb5111

Has anyone bought the evo maintenance kit for these? They told me about it on the phone yesterday. Said the links will last a year or two then the joints may need to be replaced. that's where the kit comes in. Will these joint squeak a lot? Do they need silicone spray to maintain them and the life of the joint? Or are they self lubricated?

tharb5111

Evo customer service is elite!

So I stripped my bolt yesterday. And just now, I had a surprise visit from mister delivery man! Evo surprised me with an overnight priority delivery of my new joint and bolt! All I can say is that is incredible service. They originally told me it would be standard delivery. I told them I needed it asap and wham. Like magic it's here in my hand.

Can't say enough how much I appreciate their service. Top notch. Now I can get my baby back on the road again . Don't you love happy endings? I know I do.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Has anyone bought the evo maintenance kit for these? They told me about it on the phone yesterday. Said the links will last a year or two then the joints may need to be replaced. that's where the kit comes in. Will these joint squeak a lot? Do they need silicone spray to maintain them and the life of the joint? Or are they self lubricated?
I think they are teflon impregnated, or something along those lines, like an oil impregnated bronze bushing. Don't think they require maintenance, it's just a wear part.

Top Bottom