Evo double throw down rear suspension

Gecko13

I’ve been looking around at different suspension setups and I’ve seen a lot about the dtd system. Lots love it lots don’t. The main thing I hear from people is it has massive rear steer. For those of you with this setup how bad is it? Does it really make the difference of how the vehicle tracks over obstacles or not? Will it work with the standard evo long arm and front bolt on coilovers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What bhaner said, I've been running an EVO Lever for well over 10 years. I haven't noticed any rear steer. Sounds to me like you've been talking to people who don't have any actual experience running it.

bhaner

Will it work with the standard evo long arm and front bolt on coilovers?
I have the Evo long arms with high clearance brackets. I see no reason it wouldn't work with the front bolt on system.

Also, Many will do the DTD in the front and only run the coilovers to start. Saves a bit of $$$ if you plan to get the tripple bypasses in the future. The brackets are already there.

bhaner

I know the rear steer feeling you are talking about. I got it on my TJ that had a triangulated rear setup with no track bar.

My JKU feels NOTHING like that.

bhaner

I can tell you this... If I had it to do over again... I would ditch the fuel tank, go with a triangulated 4 link, chop the frame, and do 16" coilovers into the tub.

That is about the only way you are going to beat the EvoLever.

I wasn't ready to go to that level at the time.

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I can tell you this... If I had it to do over again... I would ditch the fuel tank, go with a triangulated 4 link, chop the frame, and do 16" coilovers into the tub.

That is about the only way you are going to beat the EvoLever.

I wasn't ready to go to that level at the time.
This. Regret not doing this. I don’t run the Evo lever but I can tell you I would love to have gone double triangulated and will continue on that path.

bhaner

This. Regret not doing this. I don’t run the Evo lever but I can tell you I would love to have gone double triangulated and will continue on that path.
I feel like I just left a single cookie on a plate just for you... LOL!

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I would say there is a “rear steer” or “bump steer” effect but only because the cantilever offers I think the most down travel of any factory style still using a track bar. However it is nothing that is technically wrong, it just takes a bit to get used to what it wants to do on lines with big articulation.

For those suggesting they wish they would have gone with triangulated, aftermarket fuel tanks and giant coilovers through the body, there is a ton of negatives that go along with those changes that you simply do not have to deal with on the Evo cantilever, yet still get to go as fast if not faster, have similar usable travel, can bet setup with lower stances without other issues, etc., etc.

If you want the cool factor, sure, triangulated shows off your pretty shocks and the whole nine yards.

I know and have wheeled with quite a few guys with the cantilevers, and for all the other crap wrong with modified Jeep’s, I don’t think I’ve personally heard any of them say they wish they wouldn’t have done it. They usually only talk about going far more custom, ie, trailing arms, etc.

Attachments

• 296FEC8C-3425-4B14-81DD-55E2CF58C707.jpeg
    296FEC8C-3425-4B14-81DD-55E2CF58C707.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom