EVO Bolt-on Coilovers question

deezus

Check out post#188 in this thread:

Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

This is were I found the issue with the tub and shock mount making contact. There’s also several pictures of the rubber placement.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks I installed rubber between tub and shock mounts. I'm still getting loud sounds from rear, either the sliders or upper shock mounting bolts. How tight should the upper shock mounting bolts be? Should coilover move back and forth?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Gobicon2017

Thanks I installed rubber between tub and shock mounts. I'm still getting loud sounds from rear, either the sliders or upper shock mounting bolts. How tight should the upper shock mounting bolts be? Should coilover move back and forth?

When you pull up or down on the bumper are you hearing the coils, I could prior to the AGM Sliders. As far as movement on the shocks. My fronts are stiff no movement under load. The rears have very little play in them. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

When you pull up or down on the bumper are you hearing the coils, I could prior to the AGM Sliders. As far as movement on the shocks. My fronts are stiff no movement under load. The rears have very little play in them. Hope that helps.

Yes I can hear them especially in the rear. Hear is a pic of my upper shock mounts. Instructions said to have washers both sides but I couldn't find in all the bolt packages more washers. What do you think? 20180216_185639.jpg

Gobicon2017

Yes I can hear them especially in the rear. Hear is a pic of my upper shock mounts. Instructions said to have washers both sides but I couldn't find in all the bolt packages more washers. What do you think? View attachment 293437

Here’s mine IMG_0579.JPG

You have a lot of preload. I’m only running about an inch in the rear. You can see my washers in the posted pic.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

If you double up the washers on the outside of the upper shock bolt, it will make it easier to get an Allen head tool on the nut side when you mount it up to the plates.

deezus

If you double up the washers on the outside of the upper shock bolt, it will make it easier to get an Allen head tool on the nut side when you mount it up to the plates.

Can you post a pic of your rear upper coilover at the mounting bolt so I can compare?? [emoji106]

aTX427

I used 5/8" saw grade 8 washers on the inside as spacers. They fit around the misalignment spacers. You can also see how I doubled up washers on the outside of the 1/2" mounting bolt. This enabled me to thread the Allen bolts up to the plate mount without needing to go back and forth. Not needed, but it makes the installation easier.

IMG_1821.JPG

deezus

I used 5/8" saw grade 8 washers on the inside as spacers. They fit around the misalignment spacers. You can also see how I doubled up washers on the outside of the 1/2" mounting bolt. This enabled me to thread the Allen bolts up to the plate mount without needing to go back and forth. Not needed, but it makes the installation easier.

View attachment 293530

Ty what size inner misaligned spacers did you use?

deezus

Also the upper shock bolt is smaller than the shock to eye or bearing it goes through. At least on mine. The shock bracket holes are smaller as well.

Last edited:

aTX427

I recall some of the spacers not fitting correctly and needing to make some, but I think it was only on the bottom mounts.

deezus

I recall some of the spacers not fitting correctly and needing to make some, but I think it was only on the bottom mounts.
The shocks come with smaller spacers Zip tied to the shocks and wider spacers in the hardware packs that's why I asked. I used the smaller ones today in order to put in washers inside of brackets. It's definitely not a deal breaker but in the instructions, which are vague, one pic shows the bolt you used and the other shows a black allen head bolt. I was hearing a cracking sound and it turned out to be not installing those washers which weren't fully explained, at least in a way I could comprehend the purpose fully.
Because the ride and look is so intoxicating, lol, I can forgive these things. I wish Evo would make clearer instructions or a video and label hardware packs clearer. When I first saw kit awhile back I thought it was too advanced to do, now that I've done it I can say it definitely is doable for the average wrench turner especially if instructions were clearer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom