ESC control light stuck on

ChiliDawg

So this has been a problem ever since my drive back from the Rubicon the other week. ESC light just came on while driving down the highway and stayed on. Trying to pass smog so I can renew registration and I think this is the culprit behind one of two codes that are causing check engine to flash right now. Anyone ever have this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Maybe you accidentally did the steering wheel dance :idontknow: LOL :cheesy:

Have you checked/cleaned your wheel speed sensors?

No, how does one do that?

Take the wheel and brakes off and it is screwed into the hub here:
speedSensor.jpg

If one of those is damaged or dirty it could cause the jeep to think one wheel is spinning at a different speed as if you were loosing traction.

Take the wheel and brakes off and it is screwed into the hub here:
View attachment 275577

If one of those is damaged or dirty it could cause the jeep to think one wheel is spinning at a different speed as if you were loosing traction.

The one thing that makes me think it's not the issue is that the ESC doesn't seem to actually be engaging, just the light on the dash stuck on. But given that it came on right after getting off the Rubicon, that explanation might make sense.

Yep, that could do it too.

You'd probably notice if you had to have the steering wheel turned to drive in a straight line though...

My Jeep actually started to have a similar problem. We were driving back from a trip to the beach and my ABS, traction and brake lights started to light up and chime. My lift was on since April 2015 and I had centered the steering wheel at that time with no problems. It started acting up again last weekend but isn't staying on just comes on every now and then. I checked to see if the cables were rubbing any wheels and all looks good. I was thinking it may be a bad sensor. It hasn't been on since last weekend and it seems to come on when traveling paved back roads at speeds around 50 to 55 mph.

I could just flake out and take it to the dealer since it's still under an extended warranty but I'm pressed for time and they'll probably tell me they won't warranty anything on it because of the mods.

I could just flake out and take it to the dealer since it's still under an extended warranty but I'm pressed for time and they'll probably tell me they won't warranty anything on it because of the mods.

You'd be surprised what they will do actually, lithia has always taken care of my multiple issues with many mods on the jeep. but recenter the wheel is likely your issue. Maybe bent your tie-rod a bit on the trip too. Eddie had a nice write up for DIY front end alignment, if scope that out and see if it can fix your issues. Let me know if you need a hand- done it plenty of times.

Edit- good to easy to check sensors like mentioned above as well

Just to update - I've been messing around with the drag link and driving around using a little trial and error to get it centered, ESC light went off when I got it close to centered. So I guess that's that.

Replaced my gas cap again for the 2nd time in a year because I'm getting the small evap leak code again too, hopefully that keeps the code from popping up long enough to smog it but I'm perplexed why it would be the gas cap again causing that.

Just to update - I've been messing around with the drag link and driving around using a little trial and error to get it centered, ESC light went off when I got it close to centered. So I guess that's that.

Glad you seem to have figured it out! And a simple fix too [emoji106]
Replaced my gas cap again for the 2nd time in a year because I'm getting the small evap leak code again too, hopefully that keeps the code from popping up long enough to smog it but I'm perplexed why it would be the gas cap again causing that.

That is odd. I got that code once too a few months ago and replaced the gas cap. Hopefully mine doesn't sneak back up on me. I guess if it were to fail again I'd try a different brand replacement cap.

Glad you seem to have figured it out! And a simple fix too [emoji106]

That is odd. I got that code once too a few months ago and replaced the gas cap. Hopefully mine doesn't sneak back up on me. I guess if it were to fail again I'd try a different brand replacement cap.

Presumably there are other issues that could be causing it, but I think the gas cap is the usual culprit. That said, if it starts throwing the code again within the next 100 miles, I'll know it's something else.

I get that code about once a year and haven't had to replace the gas cap.

I take an alcohol wipe and run it around the metal filler neck to clean up the cap O-ring contact surface and then another wipe to clean up the O-ring.

Put some lip balm on the O-ring then wait for the light to go off (usually about 5-6 start cycles) or clear the codes.

I get that code about once a year and haven't had to replace the gas cap.

I take an alcohol wipe and run it around the metal filler neck to clean up the cap O-ring contact surface and then another wipe to clean up the O-ring.

Put some lip balm on the O-ring then wait for the light to go off (usually about 5-6 start cycles) or clear the codes.

Wow, simple fix! Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom