End of Summer - East Coast Uwharrie Run

croge17

Don't understand why it's so important that everyone in the hard group run the hardest lines possible. I'm just gonna let you know right now I'll be doing lines I feel comfortable doing and if you have a problem with that then I'm sorry you can put me in the back for all I care. And as for the the tire situation...leave me on the trail for all I care I'd rather have you go on anyways so I don't hear you complaining about me having a flat.

Whoa killer, The point of dividing into groups is to get the most out of the trip for each level of comfort. If you have never been to Uwharrie every trail is doable by a stock jeep depending on line and driver skill. The reason for trying to keep everyone running the same or similar lines is to make spotting, photo ops, and recovery as simple as possible. If you feel comfortable wheeling with no spare then more power to you. I am operating from personal experience and a trail flat is no fun if you cant fix it even more so if you are a long drive from home. I had a 2 flats in one trip at windrock (7 hours from home ) and trying to find a tire shop that is open and has a 35" tire for a 17" rim in stock is almost impossible on a saturday afternoon. I wont tell you how to live your life but I would seriously consider investing in a spare tire before making a 6 hour trek to go 4wheeling.

It sounds to me like hopping in an intermediate group would be best for you so you can run the hard lines and bypass any lines you think are beyond what your willing to do. I know your always guessing at what you can and cant do until you try and wont hold anyone back from bypassing an obstacle. Just would rather have that be the exception more than the rule for the hard group, otherwise we might as well just all stay as one group and plod along at whatever pace we can.

didnt mean to get your all in an uproar man.:rock:

Hes just saying with a group this size we need to be as prepared and organized as can be. A spare is a great idea but, if you dont have one, im sure we can get by one way or another. Lets not mud this thread up.

croge17

Thank you! It'll get me off the trail if I need to but I'm hoping nobody has to use a spare

I am hoping nobody NEEDS to either... I am hoping we all run all weekend and push the limits of what our jeeps can do and noone gets a scratch ding dent or breakage. I just dont want something silly to happen and ruin a trip for you or anyone else. I was getting ready to suggest that you see if anyone has a spare that you could borrow just for the trip. Just for peace of mind for yourself.

Watch me cut down another MT/R this trip now... lol;)

hhunter050

Whoa killer, The point of dividing into groups is to get the most out of the trip for each level of comfort. If you have never been to Uwharrie every trail is doable by a stock jeep depending on line and driver skill. The reason for trying to keep everyone running the same or similar lines is to make spotting, photo ops, and recovery as simple as possible. If you feel comfortable wheeling with no spare then more power to you. I am operating from personal experience and a trail flat is no fun if you cant fix it even more so if you are a long drive from home. I had a 2 flats in one trip at windrock (7 hours from home ) and trying to find a tire shop that is open and has a 35" tire for a 17" rim in stock is almost impossible on a saturday afternoon. I wont tell you how to live your life but I would seriously consider investing in a spare tire before making a 6 hour trek to go 4wheeling.

It sounds to me like hopping in an intermediate group would be best for you so you can run the hard lines and bypass any lines you think are beyond what your willing to do. I know your always guessing at what you can and cant do until you try and wont hold anyone back from bypassing an obstacle. Just would rather have that be the exception more than the rule for the hard group, otherwise we might as well just all stay as one group and plod along at whatever pace we can.

didnt mean to get your all in an uproar man.:rock:

It's fine but I'm a 19 year old that has a jk on 37s and have paid for every bit of it. So I don't try to cut corners but doing without a full size spare at the moment was one thing I was willing to do but I will let you know that it is in the future plans.

croge17

completly understand... I was in your shoes once.

I had a 1997 eddie bauer explorer that I bought when i was 18 and I paid for a solid axle swap on one tons and had 38" tires but couldnt swing a spare at the time. I was always scared to death about a puncture putting me out of comission and it scared me away from trying some of the harder stuff. Its an expensive hobby and everyone has to get in somewhere. Now I am 30 year sold and have to worry about being able to tow my camper back home after each trip with my wife and dog. There is always a worry about your trail truck until it becomes a truck you load on a trailer to take wheeling. then you just worry about how good your winch is to drag you back to the trailer.

MRGeep

Not sure if this was mentioned already or not, but a fire extinguisher should be a necessity as well. I've heard of 2 rigs already this year that were dragged out as burnt out carcasses from Uwharrie.

thardy

Banned
croge17, I appreciate your enthusiasm about running the hard group, but it is my opinion that you are taking this a little more serious than most of the participants are looking for. We are simply out here to have a good time. Mr.Ty is putting the routes together and those are the routes we are going to follow. If we have time to do more great, if not, no big deal. I understand your reasoning for wanting everyone to have a full size spare, but it is not a requirement and I don't plan on making it one. This trip is about relaxing and getting out on the trail with like minded people. It's not about hitting every possible trail, if we get to great, if not, it's not a big deal.

I apologize if my response is taken the wrong way, but I feel like it was something that needed to be said.

croge17

I didnt mean to come across as serious. stupid internet. Just want to make sure that the group looking to hit the hard stuff doesnt get to the first obstacle and spend the whole day there. I have ridden in large groups that we only ran one trail and at uwharrie that might mean only hitting one difficult climb or obstacle. I just want to make sure that people dont drive 4+ hours to run one trail and spend the rest of the day trying to fix a jeep.

Knock on wood I have never had a group go out with me at uwharrie that had to limp someone off a trail but I have been in groups where it happens. The more we can do to prevent these situations the better. Most the time with uwharrie having the level of difficulty it does a "hard" group is out to make the most of the weekend becasue every trail is doable in every rig.

I belong to a local group called daily driver offroaders and most of the guys are running fj cruisers, ifs 4 runners, or jk's and we have navigated the hard lines on every trail with as little as a stock 4 runner or fj cruiser and the most damage to date was scuffing fener on a tree or a little rock rash on a wheel. I am good with running however the group wants to I am just basing on prior experience.

thardy

Banned
I didnt mean to come across as serious. stupid internet. Just want to make sure that the group looking to hit the hard stuff doesnt get to the first obstacle and spend the whole day there. I have ridden in large groups that we only ran one trail and at uwharrie that might mean only hitting one difficult climb or obstacle. I just want to make sure that people dont drive 4+ hours to run one trail and spend the rest of the day trying to fix a jeep.

Knock on wood I have never had a group go out with me at uwharrie that had to limp someone off a trail but I have been in groups where it happens. The more we can do to prevent these situations the better. Most the time with uwharrie having the level of difficulty it does a "hard" group is out to make the most of the weekend becasue every trail is doable in every rig.

I belong to a local group called daily driver offroaders and most of the guys are running fj cruisers, ifs 4 runners, or jk's and we have navigated the hard lines on every trail with as little as a stock 4 runner or fj cruiser and the most damage to date was scuffing fener on a tree or a little rock rash on a wheel. I am good with running however the group wants to I am just basing on prior experience.

I appreciate your understanding and I definitely appreciate your insight and assistance with this trip. I know we all need to be as prepared as possible and the people that I know that are in the "hard" group will be prepared. If you say a stock FJ can make it through the hard lines without any issues, there shouldn't be any problems with this group.

longarmwj

I've got a full size spare. And the WJ shares the JKs 5x5 bolt pattern so if my spare needs to be used it can be. I'll make sure to swing by discount and get it rebalanced before the ride.

hhunter050

Who doesn't love coming home to jeep parts! I know there is a brown Santa thread bit I figured might as well post some of the things we are getting before this trip!

Attachments

• 1433275851269.jpg
    1433275851269.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 62

Grubbicon

Just make sure you got your trailer. Too far for me to pull that monster of yours home. Lol

Haha yeah im not going that far without a trailer. I would never go 5 hours without it. I dont have much faith in my jeep making it there. Getting home now thats just wishful thinking lol.

jkwebbie

Haha yeah im not going that far without a trailer. I would never go 5 hours without it. I dont have much faith in my jeep making it there. Getting home now thats just wishful thinking lol.

Haha well I hope you don't need it! But you never know with dana 44s and 40" mud tires lol

Grubbicon

Haha well I hope you don't need it! But you never know with dana 44s and 40" mud tires lol

Haha yeah ill be amazed if they make the summer. Im kinda wishing they would just go already so it would light the fire under my ass to start the 1ton project.

Top Bottom