El Paso Mountains December 2014

**bare with me, doing this via iphone*

So this morning the wife and I loaded up our daughter and we were headed to Ventura for Chopperfest. Well we got to the 14 and said screw that lets go do Last Chance Canyon instead.

So we headed north a few miles and before long we were at the trail head.
The recent storm turned the entire canyon into a smooth wash. Quite a bit of water still running and all the low spots were filled with sand and rocks. Seemed as if it was grated or dragged it was so smooth. Just imagine how much water must've flowed through the last few days.

Anyway here are a few pics from the day.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418623221.841490.jpg .
Pictures don't do it justice. The wet stone and rock were a deep red.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418623342.589560.jpg .
This was about how much water was trickling through the entire way up to Cudahay Camp. Not much but enough to make everything squishy beneath you.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418623883.812248.jpg .
Cudahay Camp all fenced off. This was new to me. Haven't been up there in a few months.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418623512.030414.jpg .
Went up and down Graduation Hill a few times just cause.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418623609.290595.jpg .
Not so dry dry lake bed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418623726.046739.jpg .
She woke up as we pulled up to Burro Shmidt tunnel so we got out and stretched. Went to other side and back. It was nice on the other side. (No wind)
When we got back to the Jeep a group of Razr's and motorcycles pulled up. They all started cracking beers so we split and I was reminded why I don't like going up there on weekends.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418623978.352362.jpg .

We entered Last Chance at 11am and didn't get back onto pavement till 5pm.
Tried to hit all the little fun stuff in the El Pasos.
Hobb's Wash, Guler Gulch, BS tunnel and a ton of just cruising getting lost but not lost. Had a blast.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418624262.468264.jpg
Ended the night with a bit to much whiskey and a huge steak. The wife drove home and here I am half lit pecking away at my iPhone. Enjoy!

Last edited:

cbetts

Last Chance Canyon is always a favorite. It can be as technical as you want it to be. Thanks for sharing the pics!

jeff_in_rc

Too funny Highway Trout, we were there the day before and right after we did the Ridgecrest Christmas Parade. Had 7 jeeps and ZERO tracks in front of us the entire way. Finished off by doing the Red Buttes Trail and Bickle Camp before heading out Mesquite canyon.

Top Bottom