EDGE of PIZEN

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A few weeks back, we had a big winter storm blow in and with it, really big winds. Before heading out to the Whiskey Wanderlust, Cindy and I decided we should check on things here and sure enough, a big dead cottonwood along the ditch/fence line had blown over onto our side of the property and almost took out an old power pole. Fortunately, the pole had been bypassed years ago otherwise, we probably would have had bigger problems to deal with. Anyway, the tree exploded on impact and I moved what I could to the side and decided to deal with everything else after our trip.

Well, I finally got around to installing a new chain on the chainsaw, tuned it up and went to work. It's a bit hard to tell scale on this pic but here's what I was up against.
20240412163511-4bc377a1.jpg

There were three main trunks branching out from a central one and they measured about 16" in diameter. They're about all I've been able to take on so far.
20240412163509-b02fd046.jpg

The closer to the main trunk, the wider each of the branching ones got and it took a lot more work to cut through than I thought. The dried up hardwood was tough on the chain and I burned through a lot of gas and bar oil. Literally spent hours at it and still have more to go.
20240412163515-2e7b4089.jpg

The upside is that this stuff does burn well and we'll definitely be adding it to the wood pile.
20240412163513-9df427a8.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
BTW, is it safe to assume that is a mulching implement on that skidsteer?
Yeah, its a drum mulcher. Most people call them forestry mulchers. The disc mulchers are awesome too but you don't want to have rocks in your area if you have one of those.

Not sure anyone would rent these either due to liability. They need ballistics glass on the front and things could go south fast if you didn't know what you were doing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, its a drum mulcher. Most people call them forestry mulchers. The disc mulchers are awesome too but you don't want to have rocks in your area if you have one of those.

Not sure anyone would rent these either due to liability. They need ballistics glass on the front and things could go south fast if you didn't know what you were doing.
Got it and thanks for the info (y)

Top Bottom