EATON 60 Locker Problems?

FOR FAILURES, What year did you purchase your Locker? Which Axle Manufacturer?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Dynatrac

• Currie

• Other Axle manufacturer

• Total voters
Let me start by saying EATON makes a great locker and overall products that have been manufactured and used for a very long time. This post isn't to say they are a poor product or you shouldn't buy them but more of an inquiry into an issue that has seemed to pop up, or at least that we have seen and heard of, over the last maybe 9-12 months.

With that, I'm curious to see if anyone else has heard or experienced this as well in the hopes of maybe identifying a time frame of purchased lockers that may have been affected. I should note this is only pertaining to EATON 60 lockers and those that would be installed in a Dynatrac, Currie, Fusion etc. It is my understanding that UD60's use a slightly different locker in their axle kits.

The issue that has been, I guess you can say "identified", relates to the area of the locking ring to the side gear while locked where the locker breaks free making a very loud popping noise that you can also feel. Here are some pictures showing this;

Photo Sep 22 2023, 9 31 37 AM.jpg
Photo Sep 22 2023, 9 31 31 AM.jpg
Photo Sep 22 2023, 9 31 25 AM.jpg

Here is some context to how we became aware of it;

I had a customer come in with two brand new Currie 60s and from the start on his first trip, noticed them constantly popping free when locked up and could hear it. I test drove the vehicle and both lockers would lock and unlock with no problems. While locked, any turning on asphalt would immediately cause a very loud "bang" front and/or rear that you could also feel resulting in the locker now being unlocked.

I called a friend who works with and builds axles who said he has had this issue with several recent 60 EATONS as well and was attempting to get information from EATON or at least replacement parts with no luck.

While placing an order with Dynatrac during this time period for an axle with a 60 EATON, I was told they had also experienced issues but were still installing them at this time but to advise the customer he would have to go through EATON directly for any warranties. Fast-forward to 9/22, I received an email for this order stating, "At first we were able to offer EATON's but all warranties were to be handled directly with EATON. But as of now, we are no longer offering or installing EATON 60 Lockers".

I have been told as of today from friends that the "Issues have been fixed" and all is good NOW. I never heard of or received any official notice from EATON regarding a recall or problem but based on what I have seen and heard, I can only assume there was.

So with that, I'm curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what time frame you purchased yours. Maybe a bad run and another result of poor manufacturing or material quality during COVID-19?

IF YOU HAD A FAILURE specific to this issue, please complete the survey above to see if we can get an idea of how many and specifics to time frames and axle manufacturers.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Crazy to see the issues you've been seeing with the 60 e-locker and really glad you posted this poll up. I'd be real interested to see and hear what, if anything, others have experienced.

For the record, we got our UD60 back in 2019 and with e-lockers and since that time, we haven't had any problems with them and in spite of all the punishment we've put them through. I personally know a lot of other people with UD60's and none have experienced this problem but like you mentioned, it is my understanding that the e-locker that it uses is different than what is available for Dynatrac, Currie and other aftermarket applications.

kingsize

Ooooof, how many surveys can I fill out? :unsure:

I will say that Fusion Axle's customer service is outstanding!

Last edited:

kingsize

Are you able to elaborate more on what you experienced? Sounds like an EATON was replaced under warranty? Were you having the same issue or something unrelated?
All the issues I have delt with are front lockers. Two sets of fusions and 1 Currie. Same exact issue you have run into above. Loud popping and side gear unloading. I have a feeling Eaton had a bad batch of machined side gears that wasn't quit deep enough. These axles are from mid 2022 to early 2023. If you give a call to Fusion, they may have a bit more insight to this subject. I know they had a half pallet full of problem Eaton locker they where trying to warranty in that time frame.

TheGrendel

UD60s for me. Not sure what year they were manufactured (bought locally from a guy that never installed them) but it was certainly pre-COVID. however, i don't have as much offroad time as a many on here.

can anyone expound on the difference between the UD60 E-locker and the standard Eaton E-Locker?

Lperdue

So did some digging and talked to someone at Currie. Apparently about 1-2 years ago Currie switched to auburn select-a-lock Lockers (probably why I haven’t ran into the mentioned issues).

Top Bottom