DYNATRAC SAFETY RECALL on 1550 Steering Knuckles

bhaner

It's crazy that when they were made out of aluminum, they were 8 lbs lighter than the much smaller Pro60 knuckles but now that they're made out of iron, it makes total sense that they're so heavy.
For sure!

At least the weight is down low... I already have a bit of a complex over how much this thing weighs. You should hear the sounds wooden bridges make when I cross... People make me go last! LOL!

Brute

Hooked
For sure!

At least the weight is down low... I already have a bit of a complex over how much this thing weighs. You should hear the sounds wooden bridges make when I cross... People make me go last! LOL!
Do you know what your rig weighs?...Brute is at 6300 lbs unloaded and only 1/4 tank of gas, no gas in the auxiliary tank

bhaner

Do you know what your rig weighs?...Brute is at 6300 lbs unloaded and only 1/4 tank of gas, no gas in the auxiliary tank
When I had extra tools and fuel for the Mojave trip I was about 7500 without me in it...

Without extra tools and fuel... No doors... No subs... No spare... I think I am about 6000.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For sure!

LOL - too funny!!

Hey, how long would you say it took you to take apart your Dynaloc hub and then reassemble it?

bhaner

LOL - too funny!!

Hey, how long would you say it took you to take apart your Dynaloc hub and then reassemble it?
Just the locking hub itself? Not long at all if you don't count the time cleaning and adding grease... R&R would be about 5 minutes. There isn't much there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just the locking hub itself? Not long at all if you don't count the time cleaning and adding grease... R&R would be about 5 minutes. There isn't much there.
No. I mean to pull the whole thing apart so that you can remove the rotor and so that you can separate the knuckle from the end forging. Then, clean and re-grease it. Of course, this is to say nothing about removing your drag link and tie rod or disconnecting your ram or anything else that might need to be done to do this swap. I'm asking more to get your opinion on whether or not $245 in labor sounds right to you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dynatrac is only covering the $245.00 labor credit for this exchange. And as for the recall, we only started calling customers last Friday to gauge the feedback before we released the official recall. Someone shared the email they received on the forums before we have had a chance to officially announce the recall. This has caused an influx of customer to call in before the rest of the team was prepped so I am singlehandedly handling the recall, so I thank you for being patient. Dynatrac will release the recall next week.
Also, was this explanation of "gauging feedback" before releasing an official recall acceptable to you?

bhaner

No. I mean to pull the whole thing apart so that you can remove the rotor and so that you can separate the knuckle from the end forging. Then, clean and re-grease it. Of course, this is to say nothing about removing your drag link and tie rod or disconnecting your ram or anything else that might need to be done to do this swap. I'm asking more to get your opinion on whether or not $245 in labor sounds right to you.
I will let you know how long it takes. But to answer your question... No. I don't think it is enough. I think a shop would charge 4x that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will let you know how long it takes. But to answer your question... No. I don't think it is enough. I think a shop would charge 4x that.
Okay, I was kind of thinking that too. I have done the work plenty of times and figured that maybe I just suck and work way too slow.

bhaner

Also, was this explanation of "gauging feedback" before releasing an official recall acceptable to you?
Nope. They should have sent out notification to as many as they could as soon as possible. When it comes to something like this where it could cause an accident that you could prevent by informing people... Get it out there ASAP.

MericaMade

Nope. They should have sent out notification to as many as they could as soon as possible. When it comes to something like this where it could cause an accident that you could prevent by informing people... Get it out there ASAP.
Agree. So it sounds like they were sending emails out to who they believe are more important first and waiting to receive feedback before they put it out to the rest of their customers. Even though it doesn't effect me directly I am glad to see Eddie posted it for everyone. At least a few here got a head start on the replacement. With all the shortage of products now days I would hate to find out late and be on a back order status.

Brute

Hooked
I think it’s bs...if there is a safety issue that could potentially end in a death, it needs to be released asap...I’m not familiar with the actual protocol the federal govt requires prior to engaging in a recall, but most manufacturers try to fight these things due to the exorbitant cost to the business...which is why they have insurance...

Brute

Hooked
I’m sure many shops are going to have a problem with Dynatrac due to insufficient funding to accomplish the work...and Not much incentive For them to do the job

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
$245 is a joke. My shop charges $160 an hour so an hour and a halfish to do both sides isn’t gonna cut it. Would be lucky is one side got done

WJCO

Meme King
$245 is a joke. My shop charges $160 an hour so an hour and a halfish to do both sides isn’t gonna cut it. Would be lucky is one side got done
Flat rate guys be JB-Welding the shit out them cracks if they don't get paid properly.

f3afcdd6bf79f5bff9f56446071fbd8e.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So, these are the knuckles that allowed a tighter turning radius? I assume you’ll still have that, but with the weight of a 32” TV from the year 2000?

Top Bottom