Dynatrac prosteer or Teraflex ball joints.

Colorado4

Going to replace my 08 Jeep JKU ball joints.

Dynatrac prosteer or Teraflex ball joints?

Looking for feed back please.

jeeeep

Hooked
Going to replace my 08 Jeep JKU ball joints.

Dynatrac prosteer or Teraflex ball joints?

Looking for feed back please.
I've run prosteer, would never use teraflex.

With the prosteer, they are not as easily rebuildable as claimed, you have to tear everything down and once you're at that point might as well swap out the ball joint unless you have nothing else to do but spend more time rebuilding it and waiting several hours for the rebuild glue to dry (not included and expensive) before you can drive your Jeep; that's why I switched to Spicer Performance, swapping them out is a lot faster and no need to wait.

On my JKU, prosteer did not las any longer than the other ball joints I've used. The spicer are holding up but I haven't been on the trails much with the JKU since I got the JLU

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
Not familiar with the Dynatrac at all, so no comment.
And I have only had my Teraflex BJs in for about 2k miles. One nice thing I was not expecting was no break in period. Hear complaints of having to wear in the seats a bit for the steering to get back 100%, but not in this case. The 2k miles include a couple wheeling trips with no issues. So far looking good.

Previous set was Synergy. No issues there either, lasted about 18k miles, with lots of abuse. The only reason for the switch was availability.

Scott

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run prosteer, would never use teraflex.
Yup, not a fan of TeraFlex products and this is coming from someone who's run a lot of their stuff in the past.
With the prosteer, they are not as easily rebuildable as claimed, you have to tear everything down and once you're at that point might as well swap out the ball joint unless you have nothing else to do but spend more time rebuilding it and waiting several hours for the rebuild glue to dry (not included and expensive) before you can drive your Jeep; that's why I switched to Spicer Performance, swapping them out is a lot faster and no need to wait.
100% accurate. They are good joints but really, far from "rebuildable" or at least, in the sense that it's easier to do that just swapping in a new set of joints. I've been hearing good things about Spicer and might give them a try next time around. I've run Moog and Synergy and have found them to be good replacements too.

JimLee

Hooked
Yup, not a fan of TeraFlex products and this is coming from someone who's run a lot of their stuff in the past.

100% accurate. They are good joints but really, far from "rebuildable" or at least, in the sense that it's easier to do that just swapping in a new set of joints. I've been hearing good things about Spicer and might give them a try next time around. I've run Moog and Synergy and have found them to be good replacements too.
Hey Eddie, how about the Dynatrac Pro steer BJ's on the 60's? ProSteer Ball Joint Kit, XD60-1550LT Series. Any easier to rebuild or same story?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie, how about the Dynatrac Pro steer BJ's on the 60's? ProSteer Ball Joint Kit, XD60-1550LT Series. Any easier to rebuild or same story?
Same thing, no easier. By the time you get the knuckles off, it's a whole lot faster and easier to just install a new set of joints. And yes, I've done it both ways.

JimLee

Hooked
Same thing, no easier. By the time you get the knuckles off, it's a whole lot faster and easier to just install a new set of joints. And yes, I've done it both ways.
Thanks, trying to figure out what I'm in for ahead of time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, trying to figure out what I'm in for ahead of time.
Honestly, the worst of it is having to take apart the entire hub assembly, just to get started. On a PR60 that is. By the time you get the knuckles off, the last thing you want to do is dick around with taking apart the ProSteers and rebuild them too. You can literally press out and press in new ball joints in a fraction of the time.

JimLee

Hooked
Honestly, the worst of it is having to take apart the entire hub assembly, just to get started. On a PR60 that is. By the time you get the knuckles off, the last thing you want to do is dick around with taking apart the ProSteers and rebuild them too. You can literally press out and press in new ball joints in a fraction of the time.
Yea, I looked up the rebuild instructions and I can see what you are saying, looks easier to just throw in some new ones and be done with it. I'm thinking I could rebuild the pro steers after a BJ swap during garage fuck off time and have them ready as a spare set for the next change. Reality says they'll probably sit on a bench staring at me until I do a clean up and toss them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, I looked up the rebuild instructions and I can see what you are saying, looks easier to just throw in some new ones and be done with it. I'm thinking I could rebuild the pro steers after a BJ swap during garage fuck off time and have them ready as a spare set for the next change. Reality says they'll probably sit on a bench staring at me until I do a clean up and toss them.
LOL - no lie, I did just that after the last swap. And, my old prosteers are still sitting on my "things to do" shelf 🤪

Top Bottom