Dual battery options

RCC

Now that I own a JL and JT I have decided I do not like the factory dual battery set up from a maintenance stand point.

My thought or fear is that when the small battery decides to go out that it will leave us stranded out in BFE. I do have jump boxes in both vehicles.

I have been looking at the Genesis set up and was wondering if anyone here had experience with it? The genesis system still looks somewhat complicated but at least both batteries are readily acceptable.

RCC

Isn’t the small battery just for the auto start/shut off feature?
It’s my understanding that it powers the accessories when the vehicle turns off for auto start/stop.

My issue is if the small battery goes bad the jeep will not start and it’s a pain in the ass to get to.

I haven’t looked at the batt kits, but why not just run a good size battery cable from positive to positive with a relay to a switch, flip the switch to jump the little batt

RCC

Ive tried searching forums and YouTube. I was hoping that doing away with the aux battery was an option but I can’t find anyone that’s made it work.

Dale72

Hooked
My old boss had the small auxiliary battery replaced by the dealer, he said that they replaced it from underneath. There's a panel that you can get to it. You have to take the wheel and the fender liner off

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ive tried searching forums and YouTube. I was hoping that doing away with the aux battery was an option but I can’t find anyone that’s made it work.
You do NOT want to do it. The starting of the engine put a significant hit to your computer and will ruin it over time. The auxiliary battery is there to help prevent this from happening. And, this information came directly from a Jeep engineer.

That said, I think you're way over freaking out about the auxiliary battery. I spend a tremendous amount of time out in BFE and IF it were really a concern, I would have done a dual battery a long time ago. Fact of the matter is, it is nowhere near as big of a deal as the internet will lead you to believe. A simple jump starter will get you going again and for cheap. Also, you can buy a LOT of new batteries for the cost of a dual battery setup.

But, if you have a hole burning away in your pocket, the Genesis setup will help that along.

wjtstudios

Hooked
The only advantage I see of running dual battery setups is maintaining a frig or constant draw accessories that can deplete the primary battery and then leave you stranded if you don’t drive it every day. Other than that, they look really cool when you open up the hood!

RCC

You do NOT want to do it. The starting of the engine put a significant hit to your computer and will ruin it over time. The auxiliary battery is there to help prevent this from happening. And, this information came directly from a Jeep engineer.

That said, I think you're way over freaking out about the auxiliary battery. I spend a tremendous amount of time out in BFE and IF it were really a concern, I would have done a dual battery a long time ago. Fact of the matter is, it is nowhere near as big of a deal as the internet will lead you to believe. A simple jump starter will get you going again and for cheap. Also, you can buy a LOT of new batteries for the cost of a dual battery setup.

But, if you have a hole burning away in your pocket, the Genesis setup will help that along.

Thank you for the info. Like most things I have probably overthought this and made it a bigger problem than it actually is.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only advantage I see of running dual battery setups is maintaining a frig or constant draw accessories that can deplete the primary battery and then leave you stranded if you don’t drive it every day. Other than that, they look really cool when you open up the hood!
Yup. I've run dual batteries on multiple Jeeps in the past but mainly before LED lights became a thing. The big halogen lights and my fridge really sucked juice. Now a days, everything is so energy efficient and fridges come with a means to cut out before killing the battery and these new jump starters are nothing short of amazing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the info. Like most things I have probably overthought this and made it a bigger problem than it actually is.
LOL - it's all good. Just trying to save you from buying something you really don't need.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yup. I've run dual batteries on multiple Jeeps in the past but mainly before LED lights became a thing. The big halogen lights and my fridge really sucked juice. Now a days, everything is so energy efficient and fridges come with a means to cut out before killing the battery and these new jump starters are nothing short of amazing.
But then your drinks get warm when the battery monitor kicks in 🤣

I agree with those jump starters, those things are amazing for their size

WJCO

Meme King
I know it may be overkill, but since carrying a mobile welder on the trail, I always carry a spare battery anyways. Even on road trips in a different Jeep, I still bring a spare battery just as part of my "tool kit." I've only had to use it once to jump start another person but imo, it's worth just keeping in the back. Heavy but doesn't take much room.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I installed a Genesis dual battery setup on a friend’s JKUR. Honestly, I think the thing has more problems than benefits.
Like I said before, there was definitely a time and place for dual batteries. Fortunately, that time has come and gone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know it may be overkill, but since carrying a mobile welder on the trail, I always carry a spare battery anyways. Even on road trips in a different Jeep, I still bring a spare battery just as part of my "tool kit." I've only had to use it once to jump start another person but imo, it's worth just keeping in the back. Heavy but doesn't take much room.
So, that is one of the few benefits of dual batteries that I can vouch for. Back when I used to run a Premier Ready Welder II, having that setup was helpful for sure. Also, there have been a few occasions where someone had a battery die on them on the trail and I was able to provide a donor.

Top Bottom