Drive Shafts

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I was messing around under the Jeep today and noticed my front drive shaft looked twisted. I haven't been doing any major wheeling and cant understand what would cause this. I also noticed the rear boot looks like it has some damage on it as well. I'm assuming this is from a tree limb as I was roaming through the woods one day.

So I've been looking on the web for information about drive shafts so I could get a better understanding of how they work and what is actually under the Boot on the shaft. I haven't been very successful. I searched the forum and only found a few threads related to torn boots but nothing very technical about drive shafts in general.

If anyone has any good information about drive shaft construction, and how they work, whats under the boots and can the boots be replaced/repaired, and potential drive shaft hazards, please post up.

Edit: I'll try to snap a pic of the boot that looks twisted.

Thanks,

JT/Doknoker

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Twisted? Pics?

Stock boots on the JK cannot be repaired.

Yeah it's odd. It seems very well secured to the shaft.

I didn't have a chance to snap a pic today but I'll post it up on the morn.

Edit: By twisted I mean it looks as if you grabbed both ends and rotated them opposite directions. Maybe only a 1/4 - 1/2 an inch. Enough to crinkle the corrugations on the boot.

WAYALIFE APP 

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Oh, the boot is twisted not the driveshaft! :whew:

Did you try twisting it back? You can drive with a torn up boot for quite a while (or so I've heard). I replaced my rear DS with a torn boot after a few thousand miles and carry it as a spare.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug

Did you try twisting it back? You can drive with a torn up boot for quite a while (or so I've heard). I replaced my rear DS with a torn boot after a few thousand miles and carry it as a spare.

Yeah It's really on there, it wouldn't budge with just my hands. I'm thinking I the same tree limb that tore the back boot must have somehow rotated the metal ring on the front boot. If you look at the pic of the front boot, just to the right of it there is a hole in the heat shield material there.

That website had some really good advice for drive shaft maintenance. You should check it out.

Every shaft should be well maintained! :cheesy:

Thanks for the info MTG!

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug

If you need another one I have one with 1500 miles on it that is still new.... Just say'n.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
If you need another one I have one with 1500 miles on it that is still new.... Just say'n.

Thanks

I'm going to hold out since I will hopefully be putting and Enforcer lift on in a few months. In the mean time I'll see if I can untwist this boot but it will take more than just my bare hands for sure!

If I need one though I'll let you know! :thumb:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I've had a tore front drive shaft boot for 2 years. :eek:

Well that's good to know. It would appear that the boot is simply a dust cover for the slip joint so I may just apply some black duct tape to cover the hole and keep the crap out of it as best I can.

Top Bottom