Drive shaft replacement

Gibbo

I have a 4.5" OME lift and want to replace my drive shafts with JE Reel 1350's. I'll have to replace the off set washers the lift uses to correct caster with adjustable control arms so the diff can be adjusted straight in line with the new drive shaft. Does anyone know if I can do this with just front lower arms and rear upper arms, or do I ( or should I ) use a complete set of uppers and lowers. I didn't realise this until after I bought the drive shafts and read the instructions. The JK runs solid with no vibrations at all now, thought I could just swap them over.:crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 4.5" OME lift and want to replace my drive shafts with JE Reel 1350's. I'll have to replace the off set washers the lift uses to correct caster with adjustable control arms so the diff can be adjusted straight in line with the new drive shaft. Does anyone know if I can do this with just front lower arms and rear upper arms, or do I ( or should I ) use a complete set of uppers and lowers. I didn't realise this until after I bought the drive shafts and read the instructions. The JK runs solid with no vibrations at all now, thought I could just swap them over.:crazyeyes:

your understanding of things is incorrect. you ONLY need to set your REAR pinion, NOT your front. adjustable rear uppers arms are what you will need to do this. up front, caster angle needs to take precedence so you'll want to leave well enough alone there. if you haven't already installed the cam bolts or what you call off set washers, i wouldn't. i would install adjustable front lower arms instead as they will not require you to notch your mounts on the axle. if you've already done it, oh well, just leave it as is.

Gibbo

your understanding of things is incorrect. you ONLY need to set your REAR pinion, NOT your front. adjustable rear uppers arms are what you will need to do this. up front, caster angle needs to take precedence so you'll want to leave well enough alone there. if you haven't already installed the cam bolts or what you call off set washers, i wouldn't. i would install adjustable front lower arms instead as they will not require you to notch your mounts on the axle. if you've already done it, oh well, just leave it as is.

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to say the deed has been done. Metal had to be removed from the control arm brackets to get the washers to work. Lower front and upper rear brackets. What I'm going to do is weld in some synergy cam bolt elimination washers in there place, and go to adjustable control arms front and rear. The kit was suppose to lift my 2 door JK 4" but its sitting 5" above stock, so the diff has to rotate a bit to line up the cv drive shaft properly. I'll probably have to use those wedged coil spacers at the base of the rear coils to sit them flat back on the rear axle. How's that for a plan.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to say the deed has been done. Metal had to be removed from the control arm brackets to get the washers to work. Lower front and upper rear brackets. What I'm going to do is weld in some synergy cam bolt elimination washers in there place, and go to adjustable control arms front and rear. The kit was suppose to lift my 2 door JK 4" but its sitting 5" above stock, so the diff has to rotate a bit to line up the cv drive shaft properly. I'll probably have to use those wedged coil spacers at the base of the rear coils to sit them flat back on the rear axle. How's that for a plan.

bummer. yes, welding in washers will do the trick. you can practically weld in what you have now and just install new adjustable control arm.

Top Bottom