Don't work on your Jeep in a rush!

AlStew

Well I was trying to redo the seal on my differential cover and I was in a rush and I snapped a bolt :( :( :(

I got a couple extractor bits and I ended up snapping that off in the axle housing as well :( :( :(

Now I started to try to drill out the extractor bit and progress has come to a stand still. All my drill bits are getting ruined against the hard extractor bit.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421466217.888594.jpg

Now I don't really know what to do from here.

Should I seal it with more rtv and maybe take it to Evo on Monday?

Or is there more tools/drill bits I can buy to drill through the broken extractor bit.

Thank so much in advance!

-Alex

ClarksAdventures

There's a couple things you can do.

-lots of lube is never a bad thing.
- if you have access to a left hand drill bit(preferably 135 degree), I would try that. They tend to catch the screw and spin it out.
-a small chisel on the edge of the screw works well. You can slowly work the screw out by rotating it clockwise.
-last resort-have access to a welder? If you're careful you can weld another bolt onto the broken on.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
If you can grid it flat then drill a smaller hole and run new extractor in it. Or start with a small bit working your way up to a bit same as the original size with out ruining the treads then run a tap thru it to clean out the left over metal. I did this on my bmw head when i broke off a valve cover bolt. Hope that make sense.

AlStew

Thanks so much for the reply! I had a buddy at work try weld on another bolt, but it wasn't working.

I still have the broken extractor bit stuck inside the housing. Once I get through the hard steal of the extractor then I think I can get the remnants of the snapped bolt out and re-tap the threads.

I can't get through the hard steel of the extractor bit :( I keep ruining the hardened steel drill bits I just got.

I think a chisel might help to get break apart the stuck extractor bit. Then I think I can get my drill bit to catch and try a new extractor bit. Ugh.

Was supposed to take the jeep out this weekend too!

ClarksAdventures

Thanks so much for the reply! I had a buddy at work try weld on another bolt, but it wasn't working.

I still have the broken extractor bit stuck inside the housing. Once I get through the hard steal of the extractor then I think I can get the remnants of the snapped bolt out and re-tap the threads.

I can't get through the hard steel of the extractor bit :( I keep ruining the hardened steel drill bits I just got.

I think a chisel might help to get break apart the stuck extractor bit. Then I think I can get my drill bit to catch and try a new extractor bit. Ugh.

You can always use a set of chisels/punches to get the extractor bit out.

Don't waste ruining your bits until you you can Resharpen them.

Panda

A high quality cobalt steel drill bit like the ones you get at Napa auto parts with some cutting oil will drill into the extractor, start with a smaller bit and work up to the size you need

SASI4BT

Extractors suck cause they are so hard. This is a trick we use at the shop, try to weld a nut onto it, then un screw it. I have removed many broken bolts that way, good luck.

AlStew

Thanks for everyone's help again! I really appreciate it. All ideas welcome! I enjoy learning from everybody.

I do have a spring loaded center punch. And I have used my center punch so much that the tip is dull :(

I got some cobalt drill bits and have been drilling and have been making very slow progress.

Since the extractor bit is so hard, it makes it difficult to keep a drill bit straight. I've have started a decent hole but the bit still wants to wander (my inexperience probably). When I started to drill into the housing a little that's when I stopped.

-Alex

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Thanks for everyone's help again! I really appreciate it. All ideas welcome! I enjoy learning from everybody.

I do have a spring loaded center punch. And I have used my center punch so much that the tip is dull :(

I got some cobalt drill bits and have been drilling and have been making very slow progress.

Since the extractor bit is so hard, it makes it difficult to keep a drill bit straight. I've have started a decent hole but the bit still wants to wander (my inexperience probably). When I started to drill into the housing a little that's when I stopped.

-Alex

You can apply some (not a lot) of heat to the area and add a dab of beeswax to the broken off bolt before you tty and extract it. I've found that this works a lot better than PB plaster or other penetrating oils for breaking bolts loose.

Mdrobb

I once broke an exhaust stud off in the head of a grand Cherokee and then an extractor as you did. An auto parts store hooked me up with a guy that used a diamond grinding bit and a high speed rotary tool. He ground out extractor and bolt and was able to leave the threads. Not cheap, but he came out to the house.

AlStew

I once broke an exhaust stud off in the head of a grand Cherokee and then an extractor as you did. An auto parts store hooked me up with a guy that used a diamond grinding bit and a high speed rotary tool. He ground out extractor and bolt and was able to leave the threads. Not cheap, but he came out to the house.

I got to keep that in mind as a last resort, thank you.

Haven't touched the jeep all weekend. Still upset with myself for being in a rush and messing up my jeep.

I'm lucky to work with a guy who is skilled and has tools. He's bringing his work truck and we're going to give it a shot after work today.

Clark Collins

Extractors suck cause they are so hard. This is a trick we use at the shop, try to weld a nut onto it, then un screw it. I have removed many broken bolts that way, good luck.

Have used this process many times and it really works. Can't tell by your photo if the extractor end is recessed into the hole or if it is protruding. If anything is sticking out of the hole that you can weld to, that is your best bet. Don't keep drilling at it or you won't have anything to weld to.

Top Bottom