Do you trailer or drive your Jeep to the big runs?

trailraider

just wonder how many people trailer or drive their rigs on the big trips

ie: if you live in Michigan and are headed to Moab etc.

and if you drive/drove what was the overall experience, liked ? didnt like , what would you change to make it better?

and the rig set up, stock i can see driving but someone running 37 or 40's in Eddie's case is it really practical to drive the distance? fuel mileage etc.

interested to hear the stories

I trailered to Moab this year and thought after the trip i may try to drive when we go down again. but i think it will be impossable to fit it all in the Jeep.(family of 4)

seanb123

Some guys feel driving there and back feels more of a pure jeeping trip but I personally would trailer if it's an option. Nothing like the piece of mind knowing you only have to get back to the trailhead.

BlackHawk08jk

It is an awesome feeling wheeling it and driving it home. But if I had a way to trailer it, I might trailer it... Maybe

Ddays

Hooked
I have a trip to Moab planned for 4th of July, '16 and I'm torn on what to do. Even looked into shipping it to save 4 days driving time
that I can spend wheeling & sightseeing. :idontknow:

BlackHawk08jk

I have a trip to Moab planned for 4th of July, '16 and I'm torn on what to do. Even looked into shipping it to save 4 days driving time

That does seem like a good idea, but at the same time the journey to and from is half the adventure.

bsimon187

I used to drive to and from all the time. After a few breaks that left me getting the rig towed home, I ended up getting a truck and trailer. Plus with my wife and son coming out even more I feel better knowing I will get them home.

Grubbicon

I always trailer mine if im going somewhere hard to wheel. Ive been known to not give up till its too late, but then again if I didnt have the option to put it on the trailer I probably wouldnt be that way.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
In my opinion you should build a rig that is every bit road worthy as it is trail capable. What the sense of trailering your rig, half the fun is enjoying the trip there.

Ddays

Hooked
In my opinion you should build a rig that is every bit road worthy as it is trail capable. What the sense of trailering your rig, half the fun is enjoying the trip there.

That does seem like a good idea, but at the same time the journey to and from is half the adventure.

I agree with you both 100%. I'd feel perfectly comfortable driving mine from Pa to Utah. But no offense to the wonderful states I'd be driving through, those 4 days spent driving back and forth could be 4 days I spend in Yellowstone or going through Colorado, as well as 3 days in Moab.

Apologies to the OP since this is off topic. In my case I have grown kids with a limited amount of vacation time that are making this trip with the wife & I, thats why I'm thinking that I'd rather maximize my time out wheeling. This is one of those last chance 'adventures' that we won't have the opportunity to do together again. Seriously, If someone told me a year ago that I'd be contemplating shipping my Jeep out West I'd have laughed my ass off at them. If it was the wife & I I'd be driving.

Sudz

I've done both from PA. I prefer to drive the jeep.

Last trip out was me and my son. All our gear stowed in the ZJ.

Trailering is a pain in the ass. Tow rigs & trailers breakdown too. I agree driving out gobbles up time you could be spending on the trail, but isn't the journey part of the adventure?

100_1721.jpg

100_5656.jpg

100_1644.jpg

100_1742.jpg

100_5674.jpg

wells

I prefer to drive my clean, quite, comfortable Ram to and from the trails if I'm beating on my JK all day and or weekend. I've driven the JK over 3k miles to wheel and back home. Its built to take abuse. I just like the change in ride.

Evil

If your looking to ship, I can help you with that.

We had 25 guys from the east cast ship their quads out west for a dune trip and it was awesome to say the least to spend time with everyone and just smash it on the dunes. I get what your saying on the limited time too.

jeeeep

Hooked
just wonder how many people trailer or drive their rigs on the big trips

ie: if you live in Michigan and are headed to Moab etc.

and if you drive/drove what was the overall experience, liked ? didnt like , what would you change to make it better?

and the rig set up, stock i can see driving but someone running 37 or 40's in Eddie's case is it really practical to drive the distance? fuel mileage etc.

interested to hear the stories

I trailered to Moab this year and thought after the trip i may try to drive when we go down again. but i think it will be impossable to fit it all in the Jeep.(family of 4)

I have a 2010, 37's and drive to Moab from Texas often. it's ok when it's myself or myself and my daughter but personally I wouldn't do it if anyone had to ride in the back seat unless they were under the age of 9, the rear seats are just uncomfortable for the long trips and no way to move your legs around.

the drive with the 3.8 is a beating! it's feels like work having to stay on the gas all the time, but I enjoy the drive and allows some quiet time (great excuse to turn off the phone and be out of range). the 3.6 power and much better transmission it's a nice trip all around. I hope to get an LS with a better transmission soon, nothing like cruising power/transmission to make road trips better.

Gas usage isn't so bad unless the wind is head on. I try to fill up at non-ethanol stations when I find them or use Exxon/Chevron. I've found filling from the cheapest stations kills the performance. I also use my Superchips tuner and have it programmed for towing, make the shift points in the automatic firmer and has actually helped with mileage. I still drive at 70mph and use cruise control on the flats but always use my foot on the pedal for inclines.

if it was just 2 I'd say make the drive, with 4 I'd recommend tow it if you can.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Not just road worthy but comfortable as well. Granted, I'm just a mall crawler but I would NEVER dream of trailering my Jeeps and haven't regardless if it's to play in my backyard or spend almost a month driving clear across the country and back and wheeling along the way. As you've said, half the fun is getting there and really, that more than anything is the reason why we own a Jeep. If all we wanted to do was drive over stuff, I would probably get a side-by-side. Of course, that's just me.

jeeeep

Hooked
I agree with you both 100%. I'd feel perfectly comfortable driving mine from Pa to Utah. But no offense to the wonderful states I'd be driving through, those 4 days spent driving back and forth could be 4 days I spend in Yellowstone or going through Colorado, as well as 3 days in Moab.

Apologies to the OP since this is off topic. In my case I have grown kids with a limited amount of vacation time that are making this trip with the wife & I, thats why I'm thinking that I'd rather maximize my time out wheeling. This is one of those last chance 'adventures' that we won't have the opportunity to do together again. Seriously, If someone told me a year ago that I'd be contemplating shipping my Jeep out West I'd have laughed my ass off at them. If it was the wife & I I'd be driving.

If you can ship and fly, and due to the limited time you have, that's what I would do. have the Jeep shipped to your landing destination and make the most out of your available time :thumb:

flying into SLC is probably your best option and only about 4.5 hours to Moab

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
While I havent done alot of stuff across the country, the one time we went to Colorado we drove the jeep. We enjoyed driving it there and back, on the way back though we drove straight through instead of breaking it up into two days like we did on the way out there. By the time we got home, I was more than ready to get out of the jeep. I would say mostly that is because I am a big guy, it just wasn't comfortable for that length of time. If we would have broke it up into two days or took longer by stopping and sightseeing then it would have been better. We were just ready to get home. Some friends of mine go to Colorado all the time and they flat tow theirs or trailer them. They have slide in campers in their pick ups so they stay in those instead of tents or motels. I wouldn't mind doing that either.

I used to trailer my YJs to the local places all the time, mostly because I knew I was gonna break. That was mostly due to my driving style and the fact that I really should have been running better parts but was beyond broke so I couldnt afford it really. Stock parts were cheap if not free. LOL. I also changed my driving style and quit breaking as much stuff, it got old fixing stuff all the time.

Speeddmn

If you can ship and fly, and due to the limited time you have, that's what I would do. have the Jeep shipped to your landing destination and make the most out of your available time :thumb:

flying into SLC is probably your best option and only about 4.5 hours to Moab

4.5 hrs if heavy crappy traffic and you drive like Miss Daisy! I usually get there in just under 4 and I live 45 mins north of the airport. Cant wait to get back down there and hit the trails again.

Top Bottom