DIY Spod- Waytekwire

If I only want my switches powered when the ignition is on, then I'm going to need to tap a power source (probably the outlet in the center dash) with an inline fuse and use that to power the switches, is that correct?

I'm also planning to tap the power window wire for switch illumination, which shouldn't need an inline fuse. Can anyone confirm that for me?

pvanweelden

Yes- the wire normally going from fuse 6 to the switches, should be changed to go to the driver side cig lighter + wire. Then all of the switches will only work when the ignition is on. Use a 10 amp fuse inline.

The illumination- would not need an inline fuse.

Wiring up my switches and thinking that I'll tap the power from the windows switches to get the dim-able circuit... Will I need to pull the ground from that circuit as well for #7?

Basically, am I good with just a steady ground on pin #8, or do I need that and the dim-able ground on #7?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400277285.098003.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have always piggybacked the grounds for 7 and 8 together when using the dimmer. So, I pulled power for the dimmer from the center stack (from the dimmer for the heater controls), the power for the switch from the 12 volt outlet, and then piggybacked the 7 and 8 grounds together across all switches and then to the ground bolt on the inside of the cab on the driver's side. (the bolt is pretty close to the disconnect for the door harness)

Last edited:

Capita

Help! I messed up a terminal, how do I remove it from the slot in the Bussman?

Sent from my SGH-I717R using WAYALIFE mobile app

You can use this open circuit to grab the that ignition/acc (I found this picture on another site... I have not tried this yet myself but I will be this weekend or next):

Use one of these to plug into it to grab the power:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You can use this open circuit to grab the that ignition/acc (I found this picture on another site... I have not tried this yet myself but I will be this weekend or next):

Use one of these to plug into it to grab the power:

This solution requires making a hole in the stock electrical box. If you go that route, make sure you do a good job sealing it. Personally, I'd rather grab power from inside the cab and leave the stock box alone.

This solution requires making a hole in the stock electrical box. If you go that route, make sure you do a good job sealing it. Personally, I'd rather grab power from inside the cab and leave the stock box alone.

Yes very true, make sure you install this correctly and seal it up if you go this route. Its just an another option, which honestly depends on where you are installing the fuse box.

I'll be using this to trigger a relay to turn the fuse block on and off. If you're installing your secondary fuse/relay box in the cab then grabbing the power from inside the cab is the way to go. Just make sure to solder you connections... do not use t-taps... those things cause fires ;)

Capita

Got at the tab with a pick. Finally got it finished. Thanks Pvanweelden for the initial write-up and all contributors!!! Saved some cash. 1400302009283.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I717R using WAYALIFE mobile app

CZEBJKU

Finally finished my sPod project. Just wanted to thank pvanweelden for the great write up and everyone else for their help and contributions! :thumbup:
1401141155362.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom