Differential cover or skid plate? Pros and cons?

Leho

I can’t decide on a differential cover or a differential skid plate. What have you guys experienced with them?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So long as you make sure that your factory differential cover is sitting above the base of the housing, you really don't need anything more. If you're worried about smashing in your cover, try picking better lines or use a spotter.

That said, IF you have a JL Wrangler, a front glide plate WILL help protect your drain bolt from getting damaged. So, I would recommend one of them for just the front.

Otherwise, diff covers look cool and they don't cost a whole lot and what can I say, I like them for that.

Upvote 0

Leho

So long as you make sure that your factory differential cover is sitting above the base of the housing, you really don't need anything more. If you're worried about smashing in your cover, try picking better lines or use a spotter.

That said, IF you have a JL Wrangler, a front glide plate WILL help protect your drain bolt from getting damaged. So, I would recommend one of them for just the front.

Otherwise, diff covers look cool and they don't cost a whole lot and what can I say, I like them for that.
I have a 2008 jk rubicon. I am still new to this so thank you for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2008 jk rubicon. I am still new to this so thank you for the input, it is greatly appreciated.
LOL - well, with that said, covers would be all that I'd recommend and again, if only because they look cool. I still don't run one on the rear of our JLUR and only run one up front because it's a PR44 and it needs it. Our 2-door sport is still running factory covers.

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
I ran the stock covers on my 17 for a while and they were fine until I started wheeling in bigger rocks.. good lines like Eddie said is what you strive for.. but I hit the diff a few good times and my rear started to leak. The cover was separating from the diff at the bottom. It’s pretty thin metal compared to aftermarket covers... I think its a good upgrade if you plan on keeping the stock axles.. but I’d make sure you get covers with a weep hole so you know when its full. It’s a good opportunity to inspect your gears as well.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ran the stock covers on my 17 for a while and they were fine until I started wheeling in bigger rocks.. good lines like Eddie said is what you strive for.. but I hit the diff a few good times and my rear started to leak. The cover was separating from the diff at the bottom. It’s pretty thin metal compared to aftermarket covers... I think its a good upgrade if you plan on keeping the stock axles.. but I’d make sure you get covers with a weep hole so you know when its full. It’s a good opportunity to inspect your gears as well.
Again, you need to make sure that the base of the cover sits ABOVE the bottom of the housing. This will prevent it from getting peeled back and leak as it did on yours.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom