Decorative Hawse fairlead 3D Printed

Spazbyt

Hooked
That's super cool! UV stability will be a bigger problem than durability though. ABS will last slightly longer than PLA but I doubt either will make it more than a few months in direct sunlight. ASA is probably your best option plus it's about the same price as ABS.

Reactions: jal

jal

That's super cool! UV stability will be a bigger problem than durability though. ABS will last slightly longer than PLA but I doubt either will make it more than a few months in direct sunlight. ASA is probably your best option plus it's about the same price as ABS.
Yaaa I have that material as well
ASA
Will update my findings

CalSgt

Hooked
What's the melting point? How's the abrasion resistance? I would think a synthetic line would cut through that like a hot knife through butter. Especially on an off axis pull where you need the hawse most to guide the line back onto the spool and protect it from sharp edges of the bumper.

You might be amazed at the things that can be cut up and dismantled by someone a shoe lace...

ETA: This forum has generally all agreed that a winch is safety equipment and should not be skimped on... I'll add anything involved in winching is safety equipment and your life may depend on it someday. Just buy an aluminum one. Sorry to shit on your idea.

jal

Not at all …let’s try this angle how about it’s a decorative piece for those without a wrench 💁

jal

What's the melting point? How's the abrasion resistance? I would think a synthetic line would cut through that like a hot knife through butter. Especially on an off axis pull where you need the hawse most to guide the line back onto the spool and protect it from sharp edges of the bumper.

You might be amazed at the things that can be cut up and dismantled by someone a shoe lace...

ETA: This forum has generally all agreed that a winch is safety equipment and should not be skimped on... I'll add anything involved in winching is safety equipment and your life may depend on it someday. Just buy an aluminum one. Sorry to shit on your idea.
No worries
My business is in 3d printing so I always try new things

Spazbyt

Hooked

So I take it you won't be interested in my 3D printed snatch blocks then?
1670972345043.png

jal

Guys I’m printing this for a “ decorative “ part on my front bumper since I don’t have a winch yet… yes safety first for sure
The fun part is I can make design changes and print out a new part etc etc

CalSgt

Hooked
changed the thread title to decorative 😎
That checks out.

I was going to make a poser joke of some sort but the reality is the vast majority of Jeep owners or all 4x4 owners have never experienced any off road driving more technical or demanding than an unpaved driveway. The market for parts that "look cool" is undeniably massive and I don't blame you for wanting your Jeep to look cool.

I'd bet you could sell 3D printed winches for a decent chunk of change on Ebay or Etsy to people that just want to fill the ugly gap in their bumper. Upgrade options could include the hawse, and a 3 foot chunk of cable with a 3D printed hook to hang from a 3D printed bow shackle on a recovery point. Most everyone at the mall cant tell the difference anyway. Shit you'd probably be able to sell them to people for their SEMA builds.

jal

That checks out.

I was going to make a poser joke of some sort but the reality is the vast majority of Jeep owners or all 4x4 owners have never experienced any off road driving more technical or demanding than an unpaved driveway. The market for parts that "look cool" is undeniably massive and I don't blame you for wanting your Jeep to look cool.

I'd bet you could sell 3D printed winches for a decent chunk of change on Ebay or Etsy to people that just want to fill the ugly gap in their bumper. Upgrade options could include the hawse, and a 3 foot chunk of cable with a 3D printed hook to hang from a 3D printed bow shackle on a recovery point. Most everyone at the mall cant tell the difference anyway. Shit you'd probably be able to sell them to people for their SEMA builds.
I hear ya - not my thing-
I have had this brand/type bumper on my 2 previous Jeeps- and wanted to keep the tradition alive so to speak with this one-
The reason I printed this to start with is
1. because I can
2. I plan to have one milled out of aluminum and wanted it to be custom to my jeep an my tastes.

I can iterate changes and print for fitment etc etc
My business is a 3D printing service ( Spectra3D Technologies ) and we primarily print patterns for investment/ sand foundries as well as jigs and fixtures for manufactures across the country.

I have no desire to print fake parts for sale etc.

Since I can incorporate what I do for a living into making custom parts etc. for my Jeep , why not ...

Thats what makes Jeep and the Jeep community so great ..

I will update as I go along in this process.

Kenney

I hear ya - not my thing-
I have had this brand/type bumper on my 2 previous Jeeps- and wanted to keep the tradition alive so to speak with this one-
The reason I printed this to start with is
1. because I can
2. I plan to have one milled out of aluminum and wanted it to be custom to my jeep an my tastes.

I can iterate changes and print for fitment etc etc
My business is a 3D printing service ( Spectra3D Technologies ) and we primarily print patterns for investment/ sand foundries as well as jigs and fixtures for manufactures across the country.

I have no desire to print fake parts for sale etc.

Since I can incorporate what I do for a living into making custom parts etc. for my Jeep , why not ...

Thats what makes Jeep and the Jeep community so great ..

I will update as I go along in this process.
You could buy an aluminum or steel Winch plate and print a decorative picture frame like a shim with your custom idea 3d printed on it (like a Dragon Head or Family Name)..

Attachments

• seongryang-ku-dragonhex.jpg
    seongryang-ku-dragonhex.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom