DEATH WOBBLE : What it is, What it isn't and What You Can Do to Fix it

:cheesy: I see you didn't bother reading ANY of the this thread before posting up. :crazyeyes:

Oh no way dude, on the contrary, the reason I posted this to this thread is because the original post you put up is pretty much the wobble bible. There are some other not so good threads out there that I browsed before coming back to this one.
Over the past four months, I re-torqued track bar bolts, corrected caster, had a shop balance my tires, and replaced my ball joints, all per this thread.
Honestly, it seems the ball joint swap was the real culprit, but while I was pressing them in, I noticed the track bar bracket bolt hole on the axle was slightly sloppy, so I plated it up while I was down there.
Make no mistake, posting to this thread was a very intentional way to bump GOOD information. So thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no way dude, on the contrary, the reason I posted this to this thread is because the original post you put up is pretty much the wobble bible. There are some other not so good threads out there that I browsed before coming back to this one.
Over the past four months, I re-torqued track bar bolts, corrected caster, had a shop balance my tires, and replaced my ball joints, all per this thread.
Honestly, it seems the ball joint swap was the real culprit, but while I was pressing them in, I noticed the track bar bracket bolt hole on the axle was slightly sloppy, so I plated it up while I was down there.
Make no mistake, posting to this thread was a very intentional way to bump GOOD information. So thank you.

Okay, cool. Guess I mistook your post for saying that a wallowed out mounting hole would cause DW. :)

Okay, cool. Guess I mistook your post for saying that a wallowed out mounting hole would cause DW. :)

Yea, I probably should have included more info because really, this thread helped me understand that it is EVERYTHING that you mentioned, not just one little aspect. My little plate was just one small piece of the picture for me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Great I got the Death-Wobble.
My steering started feeling a little flighty or may be loose. Just off. (Had a slight DW episode last week) So last night checking out the front end and decided to check my toe-in. My toe measured equal, so I gave it about 3/16th in. Then swapped the two front tires. Tires are getting pretty worn. Maybe 50% of tread. 37" Cooper SST Pro's. They look like they are wearing pretty evenly. No shimmies or vibrations since install.
Went for a test drive and it felt great. Was really pleased with the way it turned out.
Went to work this morning had no problem on the way up.
Until it was time to head home. I work up on the mountain above town. SR74 from Hemet to Mountain Center is pretty windy road with lots of tight turns. I drive it pretty aggressively along with everyone else.
Anyway, I leave work and start up the highway. First curve I slow up with a lite touch to the brakes and bam DW starts. Not at full force yet I manage to slow down enough to stop it. Happened a few more times while braking and turning to the left seemed to trigger it.
Well, it was a nice foggy afternoon, you could see maybe one car length, I just had Death Wobble and I have to drive 15 miles down this windy ass mountain road to get home! Great!!
Going to get started on the search for Death-Wobble cure.

Top Bottom