jeeeep

Hooked
This may be old news
But this would be the way to go if you wanted a diesel

Edited

I’ve had a 4BT in my old power wagon that I loved/hated

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

if you have a 1999 or older model Jeep:

The pilot sales will be 50-State legal, California (C.A.R.B.) E.O. certified crate engines for models through 1999, including the Jeep® CJ, YJ and TJ Wrangler plus the XJ Cherokee

BlackKnight

if you have a 1999 or older model Jeep:

The pilot sales will be 50-State legal, California (C.A.R.B.) E.O. certified crate engines for models through 1999, including the Jeep® CJ, YJ and TJ Wrangler plus the XJ Cherokee

I've been considering getting some old metal and building an EMP proof Crawler/vehicle, 4BT, old school trany etc (No Computers:thumb: ). though the new crate engine is computer controlled. Of course the State of MA are a bunch of A$$Hats and will probably never let me register it... :naw:

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think my gas engine performs just fine :idontknow:

I just can't see any benefit in a diesel over a gas engine, at least in my Jeep.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think my gas engine performs just fine :idontknow:

I just can't see any benefit in a diesel over a gas engine, at least in my Jeep.

Don't you have the 2.5? You may very well be alone in that then. :p ;)
My main interest with the diesel is street driving, better mileage better torque longer service intervals.

Plus it's cool and makes turbo noises.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L2fTJo9Ku0A

2Cross

Caught the Bug

I don’t see a benefit in converting to a 4BT after having done one. A good gas motor is easy to maintain and quieter

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Don't you have the 2.5? You may very well be alone in that then. :p ;)
My main interest with the diesel is street driving, better mileage better torque longer service intervals.

Plus it's cool and makes turbo noises.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L2fTJo9Ku0A

Excuse me... I have the 2.4 ;)

Lol but really, better mileage is about the only plus I can see. That being said, I'm not concerned with mileage as my little 4cyl is pretty efficient :)

I don’t see a benefit in converting to a 4BT after having done one. A good gas motor is easy to maintain and quieter

The 4BT doesn't belong in a TJ, in my opinion. It's a great motor no doubt, but it's a heavy SOB.

Excuse me... I have the 2.4 ;)

Lol but really, better mileage is about the only plus I can see.
Ha. My apologies.
Do you ever drive highway? The torque of a turbo diesel would be a welcome addition to my daily drive. However a price tag of 9k for the r2.8 swap kit is just not realistic for a jeep worth half of that which makes me wonder why they did so much testing in the tj platform. You can do v8 swaps for much more reasonable prices with junkyard parts.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Ha. My apologies.
Do you ever drive highway? The torque of a turbo diesel would be a welcome addition to my daily drive. However a price tag of 9k for the r2.8 swap kit is just not realistic for a jeep worth half of that which makes me wonder why they did so much testing in the tj platform. You can do v8 swaps for much more reasonable prices with junkyard parts.
All 260 peak ft lbs? Any modern v8 makes that off idle. And the testing they did they got like 1 mpg better than a 4L and 2 better than an ls all in TJs. I really don't see point off that engine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom