Coolant and Gas Mixing

So this past week I got in my jeep to head home and everything was fine. I stopped for gas and noticed it started to pour coolant all over. After inspecting it I noticed a small split where it was spraying out so I grabbed sealant and coolant to limp home. I took it into the dealership and they ran a few tests and inspected the motor and told me I have coolant mixing with gas...they want to tear down the motor for a full inspection. I have no codes, warning lights, nothing just happened "out of the blue".

Talk about ruining summer wheeling plans :( but hey if they replace my motor under warranty anyone possibly interested in a new 3.6! Maybe I'll start shopping for a 5.8 :yup:

So this past week I got in my jeep to head home and everything was fine. I stopped for gas and noticed it started to pour coolant all over. After inspecting it I noticed a small split where it was spraying out so I grabbed sealant and coolant to limp home. I took it into the dealership and they ran a few tests and inspected the motor and told me I have coolant mixing with gas...they want to tear down the motor for a full inspection. I have no codes, warning lights, nothing just happened "out of the blue".

Talk about ruining summer wheeling plans :( but hey if they replace my motor under warranty anyone possibly interested in a new 3.6! Maybe I'll start shopping for a 5.8 :yup:

I know how it feels being down and not getting to wheel in the summer. It sucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepFan

Hooked
That is a bummer! Where the leak was coming from? If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like your dealer is saying a blown head gasket or something involving the cylinder heads. :thinking:

Well that sucks. Sounds like you might have a crack in the water jacket?

Possibly...unfortunately I'm not sure yet. I'm out of town and my wife dropped it off and we just got a message. I know there is a split in the radiator since I saw the leak first hand but the gas "mixture" issue was a surprise when we dropped it off :-( hopefully I will know more tomorrow since it's my day off and I can call them. I can only hope it's nothing that has done any real damage yet but it's still unknown. I'm just happy this happened where it did and not a couple weeks prior on the trail :yup:

You have a leak in the radiator... which you saw... and the dealer says you have coolant mixing with the gas? Its odd... you had no warning at all. :thinking: Could you smell the coolant in the exhaust? Normally you can see white smoke and smell the coolant... very odd. :crazyeyes:

dft

Like darknight said, gas in your coolant is typically a leaking had gasket and can be identified by white cloudy exhaust with a somewhat sweet smell to it. First thing to do is an oil change and make sure coolant hasn't also made its way into your oil which will ruin the internals of your engine.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Like darknight said, gas in your coolant is typically a leaking had gasket and can be identified by white cloudy exhaust with a somewhat sweet smell to it. First thing to do is an oil change and make sure coolant hasn't also made its way into your oil which will ruin the internals of your engine.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

There is no cloudy exhaust or sweet smell but I'll make sure they change oil to verify anyway. Thanks guys!!!

There is no cloudy exhaust or sweet smell but I'll make sure they change oil to verify anyway. Thanks guys!!!

Every time... and I mean every time I've seen coolant being burned you always get some white cloudy smoke and a sweet smelling exhaust, like "dft" said. However in all the times I've seen this not once was a leaking radiator ;)

Just make sure you're not getting hosed by the ole' stealership...

Every time... and I mean every time I've seen coolant being burned you always get some white cloudy smoke and a sweet smelling exhaust, like "dft" said. However in all the times I've seen this not once was a leaking radiator ;)

Just make sure you're not getting hosed by the ole' stealership...

I appreciate it!!! At this point I'm in limbo with them. I've left a message but have not heard anything. They have said everything is covered under warranty since I've not touched anything on the motor or cooling system but who knows how they may try to spin it.

I'll keep everyone posted and if anyone has any thoughts please feel free to shoot them in here.

Thanks everyone :yup:

Well at least its under warranty... but its never a good plan to tear down a motor if there's nothing wrong. Dealerships have been known to "create" work for themselves because they can bill the manufacture for it. ;) sneaky bastards

Top Bottom