Continuing to T/S Steering Vibration

fiend

Caught the Bug
Maybe I missed it in the thread, but have you ruled out unit bearings and ball joints? Pitman arm tight? Nothing loose in the steering connection from steering wheel to steering box?

MDK210

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but have you ruled out unit bearings and ball joints? Pitman arm tight? Nothing loose in the steering connection from steering wheel to steering box?

Supposedly everyone I had look at it checked those and I checked the unit bearings a few times and didn’t notice much. I just re-torqued all the front end suspension so I’ll check the ride later.

MDK210

In your profile you only mention adjustable rear upper control arms. What did you do in the front? Have you considered that your caster is out?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Unknown to me they Installed cam washers in the front lower control arms so we’re at +4-4.5 on caster so we’re good there. Only thing that was out of spec was front left camber (-1) but I had the Jeep dealer and the other shops check ball joints/unit bearing and nothing stood out to them.

MDK210

*Update*
Swapped my front rims and tires out with my buddies and still had the same issues between 50-60mph.
At this point I’ve either replaced or inspected every part of the front end on a vehicle with only 16K miles. The only thing I have not replaced is the tie rod. What else can cause a steering vibration at 50-60mph?

JBF

I have the same problem. The entire front end of mine is brand new. Axle assembly, tie rod, drag link, unit bearings, wheels, and tires. Still have a shimmy. Nothing is bent or out of whack, either. Thankfully my rig isn't a daily driver or else I'd lose my fucking mind.

jdofmemi

I have the same problem. The entire front end of mine is brand new. Axle assembly, tie rod, drag link, unit bearings, wheels, and tires. Still have a shimmy. Nothing is bent or out of whack, either. Thankfully my rig isn't a daily driver or else I'd lose my fucking mind.

Could it be the tires?
What are they?

rl206

I have somewhat of the same problem. I checked over stuff. I zip tied my GoPro to watch it and realized my track bar was flexing bad. You said you changed that, as well as I. No more wobble for me but still a shimmy that is reliable 45-50mph. The only thing I haven’t checked is the wheels themselves, and my brake rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MDK210

I feel everyone who has 35” and bigger has this issue but they either have the smoothest roads in the world or chalk up to “it’s a Jeep”. Before I lifted and added wheels/tires the Jeep drove great and then after that it was game over. 16K miles and can’t drive between 50-60mph what a joke.

JBF

Could it be the tires?
What are they?

It could be. They would literally be the last thing to replace to try and stop the problem. But, that's an expensive "maybe"...

37x12.50 17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on KMC machete beadlocks. I have 10oz of dynabeads in each tire, as well. FWIW, I had these tires on a different set of wheels with stick on weights and still had the problem.

I did notice today that after driving for some time, I could feel the jeep kinda lift up and down at very low speeds. Maybe the tires have been out of round since the beginning and I'm way out of a worthwhile warranty exchange with Nitto.

MDK210

*Update*
Took the steering stabilizer off to isolate the problem and drove it down a road I don’t normally drive that has some pretty juicy pot holes/sewer covers. Got death wobble twice for the first time ever. Everything on the front suspension has less that 200miles except for the tire rod so I said screw it and bought a beefier one while re-torquing everything for the billionth time. Reconnected my stabilizer cause I wasn’t about to chance death wobble again and the tie rod seemed to have helped a tad but still have steering wheel wobble around 55mph although now it seems to be intermittent as opposed to consistent or just a placebo effect.
I performed a DIY toe alignment but Mon I have an appointment at the dealer for a legit one and to check my ball joints...again. The only thing I haven’t replaced in the front now is the ball joints and 16K miles on the Jeep I find it hard to believe if I did replace them it would do anything.
Anybody think my caster might affect it? Currently it’s within spec (4*) but some people seem to run 5-7*. If the ball joints are good I might just sell this fucker for blue book and eat the $$$$ I’ve spent thus far.

WJCO

Meme King
Caster won't cause death wobble. I just reread the whole thread. I bet either a track bar hole is elongated or upper track bar bracket is cracked OR you have worn out ball joints. Something has to be loose for death wobble to occur.

Top Bottom