Coil spacer install

NickarendPDX

I'm going to be installing a 1 inch Teraflex spacer to the front and rear passenger side to correct a 1" lean. I'm looking for confirmation from some of you who are much more experienced.

I've watched several videos of people installing front and rear coil spacers. Most people who I see doing this in their garage are simply unbolting the sway bar and shocks, then lowering the axle to release tension of the spring, installing the spacer and putting back together. When I watch videos of shops doing it, they are disconnecting the trackbar as well.

Is it necessary to disconnect the trackbar in order to install the spacer? Or can I just take out the bolts to the sway bar and shock and lower? It sounds like it is recommended to get an alignment if the trackbar is disconnected.

Depends on how much lift you have on your Jeep now. If you have tall coils, you may find it still tough to get the coil out even with the track bar disconnected.

And I don't know where you're getting your recommendations from but an alignment is NOT needed just because your track bar gets disconnected.

Depends on how much lift you have on your Jeep now. If you have tall coils, you may find it still tough to get the coil out even with the track bar disconnected.

And I don't know where you're getting your recommendations from but an alignment is NOT needed just because your track bar gets disconnected.
Ok good to know. I heard it mentioned a couple times from watching Youtube videos. I've got a 3.5" lift on it right now. Good to know about trackbar

Ok good to know. I heard it mentioned a couple times from watching Youtube videos. I've got a 3.5" lift on it right now. Good to know about trackbar
Well, I would never pretend to know more than what can be heard on YouTube but someone would need to explain WHY it would be needed and in specific detail.

BTW, you really have a 1" lean??

I had a 1" lean on the passenger side of my old CJ-5 jeep. It happened a few times, and oddly the lean went away as soon as the passenger got out.

And the brackets on the passenger seat got destroyed.

I've found that my Jeep has the "JK lean" in which it leans slightly to the right when the gas tank is full. This also causes both tires on the right side to wear slightly faster than the left. I don't care about it enough, really hard to notice. I know my trackbars are dialed.

Unrelated but if I remember correctly, the JL even implemented slightly taller springs on just the passenger side to correct this.

Well, I would never pretend to know more than what can be heard on YouTube but someone would need to explain WHY it would be needed and in specific detail.

BTW, you really have a 1" lean??
I know well enough that youtube is filled with misinformation. That's why I came here to ask people who have more expertise or first hand experience in what I'm tackling.

Yes I've even had a suspension shop confirm my measurements. Both front and back passenger are exactly 1 inch shorter than driver side.

I know well enough that youtube is filled with misinformation. That's why I came here to ask people who have more expertise or first hand experience in what I'm tackling.

Yes I've even had a suspension shop confirm my measurements. Both front and back passenger are exactly 1 inch shorter than driver side.
Well that's a bummer. All JK's lean, even from the factory but 1" is a LOT and can only assume it's from the coils you're running. There are other ways to help reduce that lean other than installing spacers but hope they do the trick for you.

My JK had a slight lean also in factory form. I don’t know if it was that much, I never measured it. The lean was still there when I put on my leveling kit from EVO (2 front spacers which I used for the sake of lifting it not lean correction) , it was maybe about 1/4”-1/2” of lean max. Like Eddie said, I would look at different ways to correct this other than spacers on the passenger side and you can probably nearly solve this with some new springs. In my experience, the better quality parts like EVO plush ride springs COULD fix this.

I'll try the spacer first, simply because they've already been ordered. Once they are installed, will I need to adjust the length of this sway arm?
53729758223_bdc7dd934e_c.jpg

I'll try the spacer first, simply because they've already been ordered. Once they are installed, will I need to adjust the length of this sway arm?
53729758223_bdc7dd934e_c.jpg
So long as the sway bar arm sits at about 5° above horizontal or still has an angle between it and the link at a full droop, no. The only reason to adjust your link is to prevent it from over extending at a full droop.

My ‘12 JKUR on 4” EVO plush ride springs had about 1” of lean also and was able to get rid of most of it by installing a terraflex 1” spacer on top of the rear passenger side spring. It’s still leaning slightly but I’m too lazy to tear apart the whole front end to install a spacer on top of the front passenger spring.

I did try to adjust the sway bar end links on front and rear before installing the rear spacer but didn’t do much so I put them back to neutral position.

My ‘12 JKUR on 4” EVO plush ride springs had about 1” of lean also and was able to get rid of most of it by installing a terraflex 1” spacer on top of the rear passenger side spring. It’s still leaning slightly but I’m too lazy to tear apart the whole front end to install a spacer on top of the front passenger spring.

I did try to adjust the sway bar end links on front and rear before installing the rear spacer but didn’t do much so I put them back to neutral position.

Good to know! The front looks way easier and faster to install than the rear. I'm looking to install next week when the spacers arrive.

Cheers!

Good to know! The front looks way easier and faster to install than the rear. I'm looking to install next week when the spacers arrive.

Cheers!
Good luck!!
The front is more involved IMO. Have to disconnect the drive shaft and track bar, whereas the rear didn’t require it.

Top Bottom