Choosing next set of tires.

With all other things being equal, which tire would you choose?

• 15 pounds lighter per tire

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • $70 cheaper per tire

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
I know I'm wasting my time, but what the hell.

The higher the percentage of unsprung weight to sprung weight, the harder it is to get a smooth stable ride. This is because the higher percentage of unsprung weight to sprung weight, the more the unsprung weight pushes the chassis around. At rock crawling speeds, it doesn't matter. Some rock crawling buggies use water in the front tires to help keep the front end down during steep climbs. However at speed, a higher unsprung weight to sprung weight ratio starts working against you. The faster you go, the more the unsprung weight pushes the chassis around until the vehicle goes out of control. This is why (in addition to other advantages) race cars use lightweight tires and rims.

Does it matter to the average Jeep? Maybe. A street driven Jeep will generally ride smoother, handle better, accelerate and brake quicker when unsprung weight is reduced. Reduced unsprung weight might allow a Jeep to go a little faster in the whoops. (Yes, suspension also matters. It doesn't do any good to worry about small changes in unsprung to sprung weight if your suspension isn't up to the task.) It's not worth going to extreme measures to make small changes in the unsprung weight of the average Jeep, but it doesn't do to dismiss unsprung weight as inconsequential.

The higher the percentage of unsprung weight to sprung weight, the harder it is to get a smooth stable ride. This is because the higher percentage of unsprung weight to sprung weight, the more the unsprung weight pushes the chassis around. At rock crawling speeds, it doesn't matter. Some rock crawling buggies use water in the front tires to help keep the front end down during steep climbs. However at speed, a higher unsprung weight to sprung weight ratio starts working against you. The faster you go, the more the unsprung weight pushes the chassis around until the vehicle goes out of control. This is why (in addition to other advantages) race cars use lightweight tires and rims.
LOL - obviously, the only thing I ever do is rock crawl and wouldn't know anything about driving Jeeps hard and fast with big heavy tires and 1-ton axles and whether it be clear across the country and back or out in the desert. Surly, if I did, I would know how much my ride would suck due to all the unsprung weight my Jeeps have 🤪
Does it matter to the average Jeep? Maybe. A street driven Jeep will generally ride smoother, handle better, accelerate and brake quicker when unsprung weight is reduced.
Generally, I find that most average Jeeps ride like shit. Do they accelerate and brake a LITTLE quicker? For sure and does unsprung weight make a difference there? For sure. However, if I needed to daily commute in stop and go traffic in a place like LA, I would buy a Honda.
Reduced unsprung weight might allow a Jeep to go a little faster in the whoops. (Yes, suspension also matters. It doesn't do any good to worry about small changes in unsprung to sprung weight if your suspension isn't up to the task.)
Negative. Suspension is the ONLY thing that matters, especially in the whoops.
It's not worth going to extreme measures to make small changes in the unsprung weight of the average Jeep, but it doesn't do to dismiss unsprung weight as inconsequential.
Clearly, you're not the only one who feels the need to believe that (y)

LOL - obviously, the only thing I ever do is rock crawl and wouldn't know anything about driving Jeeps hard and fast with big heavy tires and 1-ton axles and whether it be clear across the country and back or out in the desert. Surly, if I did, I would know how much my ride would suck due to all the unsprung weight my Jeeps have 🤪
C'mon, Eddie. You know I don't believe that. I saw first hand (off in the distance through a trail of dust) what your Gladiator can do when the hammer is dropped
Generally, I find that most average Jeeps ride like shit. Do they accelerate and brake a LITTLE quicker? For sure and does unsprung weight make a difference there? For sure. However, if I needed to daily commute in stop and go traffic in a place like LA, I would buy a Honda.
Sometimes a little bit better is better. I'd rather have a little bit better than get banished to Honda Hell in LA!
Clearly, you're not the only one who feels the need to believe that (y)
I believe in physics

I am well aware we're discussing First World Problems here

Top Bottom