CB Radio

BDSJEEP

Alright all is ordered and on its way. Thank you for the help!!

No problem! Glad I could help. :thumb:

When it comes to install, it's pretty easy to keep it clean and hidden all the way to the center console/passenger seat with the 18' variety of coax.

I used only 4 zip-ties. One on each end of the tailgate hinge strap and two on the mount to keep tucked.

newjkjeeper

No problem! Glad I could help. :thumb:

When it comes to install, it's pretty easy to keep it clean and hidden all the way to the center console/passenger seat with the 18' variety of coax.

I used only 4 zip-ties. One on each end of the tailgate hinge strap and two on the mount to keep tucked.

Ok I'll have to try that same thing. Might be asking for more help later on haha

CarolinaDozer

The uniden 510 being small as it is ticks into the center consol. I have mine mounted there with the same set up as you are doing and it works great.

BDSJEEP

I'll definitely have to look into the built in hand mic cb. I've never used one, so hopefully it's a quick learn

I'd say the learning curve is very minimal, if any...

This Midland is my first micro radio, so I can't actually give a solid recommendation until I've owned it for awhile longer.
But even with that said, would I buy this Midland 75-822 over again? In a heartbeat!

Look at what you get:

MDCB-822.jpg

PROS:

- Additional 10 NOAA weather channels
- Can be used inside your rig or outside if spotting or in an emergency
- No wiring or switches to worry about (plugs into either cigarette lighter dash or console)
- Does not require a permanent mounting location
- Can use of stock Jeep head unit 730N's AUX port as external speaker with 1/8 headphone jack
- Hand held uses 6x AA Batteries and/or 8x Rechargeable AA batteries
- only 75 bucks

CONS:

- Tiny controls, small numbers, small print on buttons
- Hand held has short range probably under or about a mile (but that's more than any other CB since they cant do that at all - so is that a con?)
...I'll let you know more when I figure them out after owning it longer.

But all-in-all, so far so very darn good.

But as always, your mileage may vary. ...and last but not least, this is all just my humble opinion.

09blackruby

I'd say the learning curve is very minimal, if any...

This Midland is my first micro radio, so I can't actually give a solid recommendation until I've owned it for awhile longer.
But even with that said, would I buy this Midland 75-822 over again? In a heartbeat!

Look at what you get:

View attachment 165776

PROS:

- Additional 10 NOAA weather channels
- Can be used inside your rig or outside if spotting or in an emergency
- No wiring or switches to worry about (plugs into either cigarette lighter dash or console)
- Does not require a permanent mounting location
- Can use of stock Jeep head unit 730N's AUX port as external speaker with 1/8 headphone jack
- Hand held uses 6x AA Batteries and/or 8x Rechargeable AA batteries
- only 75 bucks

CONS:

- Tiny controls, small numbers, small print on buttons
- Hand held has short range probably under or about a mile (but that's more than any other CB since they cant do that at all - so is that a con?)
...I'll let you know more when I figure them out after owning it longer.

But all-in-all, so far so very darn good.

But as always, your mileage may vary. ...and last but not least, this is all just my humble opinion.

I just purchased this cb with18ft coax and a 3ft fire stick for my JKU. I won't be able to really test it wheeling for a couple weeks. Did you need to do any tuning or was it a plug and play for the most part? Just curious what I should expect. I don't have any local friends with a cb to test. Thanks

BDSJEEP

I just purchased this cb with18ft coax and a 3ft fire stick for my JKU. I won't be able to really test it wheeling for a couple weeks. Did you need to do any tuning or was it a plug and play for the most part? Just curious what I should expect. I don't have any local friends with a cb to test. Thanks

All CB radios require tuning (lengthening or shortening of the antenna) as part of the setup process, so you will need to do that too.

To do that, you'll need an SWR meter (20 bucks) or a friend that has one.

GOOGLE LINKS ON HOW TO TUNE A CB

p.s. (its plug and play if you use the very limited range BNC rubber-ducky antenna, but with your coax and firestik, you'll need to tune)

...also, if your SWRs do happen to be way off, you can easily damage your radio gear, so I wouldn't use it at all until you test it with an SWR meter.

Last edited:

09blackruby

All CB radios require tuning (lengthening or shortening of the antenna) as part of the setup process, so you will need to do that too.

To do that, you'll need an SWR meter (20 bucks) or a friend that has one.

GOOGLE LINKS ON HOW TO TUNE A CB

p.s. (its plug and play if you use the very limited range BNC rubber-ducky antenna, but with your coax and firestik, you'll need to tune)

...also, if your SWRs do happen to be way off, you can easily damage your radio gear, so I wouldn't use it at all until you test it with an SWR meter.

Very good to know, I didn't realize I could damage the radio just trying to use it. I'll find an SWR meter.

Top Bottom