Can anyone figure this one out ? My WARN winch is busted!

CJ has a JK

Howdy Folks, I unwound my winch to tow my 150 pound bass boat up a slight hill, and did't even get a chance to hook up, when I did a test spool, it started 'clicking' and then cut power. Not sure why this is making a clicking sound and cutting out. I checked my terminals at the battery and the fuse box too. Any idea's ? Its A 9.5 CTI-S model. I would appreciate any knowledge you can share, thanks so much & happy Jeepin' ! :giggle:

Attachments

• 34ccc.jpg
    34ccc.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 18

TonyT

Caught the Bug
How's your winch controller? After similar issues I contacted Warn and there was a recall on my 9.5ti winch controller. This was about a decade ago and I haven't had any issues since.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Had something like that happen with an old PowerPlant I used to have. Turned out to be the thermal switch. For some reason, way back then, WARN was using nickel contacts instead of copper back then and they went bad. WARN did replace it for free and gave me the upgrade. Never had another problem for so long as I was still running it.

Upvote 0

Breer

Caught the Bug
Similar thing happened to me while pulling a project jeep onto a trailer with my Zeon 10-s. Took a few times of trying to get the winch to spool where it was clicking but it worked enough to get the Jeep on the trailer.

Then out on a trail soon after it stopped spooling all together. Contacted warn and they were very helpful and easy to work with, told me where to take the winch for service. Ended up that the entire inside of the winch was rusted and the connections inside the winch were compromised. I'm sure there were other problems but it's been many years and I can't remember what all I was told.

I guess I'd say call warn and get the winch in for repair or inspection. Like I said it was an easy process and I haven't had another problem with the winch since.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CJ has a JK

Similar thing happened to me while pulling a project jeep onto a trailer with my Zeon 10-s. Took a few times of trying to get the winch to spool where it was clicking but it worked enough to get the Jeep on the trailer.

Then out on a trail soon after it stopped spooling all together. Contacted warn and they were very helpful and easy to work with, told me where to take the winch for service. Ended up that the entire inside of the winch was rusted and the connections inside the winch were compromised. I'm sure there were other problems but it's been many years and I can't remember what all I was told.

I guess I'd say call warn and get the winch in for repair or inspection. Like I said it was an easy process and I haven't had another problem with the winch since.
Thanks so much, I'm gonna get it serviced & see what's up.....

Upvote 0

CJ has a JK

Had something like that happen with an old PowerPlant I used to have. Turned out to be the thermal switch. For some reason, way back then, WARN was using nickel contacts instead of copper back then and they went bad. WARN did replace it for free and gave me the upgrade. Never had another problem for so long as I was still running it.
Thank you - yeah, I'm gonna have to check with Warn and see what they say! It's nice to hear they stand by their products.

Upvote 0

CJ has a JK

Howdy Folks, I unwound my winch to tow my 150 pound bass boat up a slight hill, and did't even get a chance to hook up, when I did a test spool, it started 'clicking' and then cut power. Not sure why this is making a clicking sound and cutting out. I checked my terminals at the battery and the fuse box too. Any idea's ? Its A 9.5 CTI-S model. I would appreciate any knowledge you can share, thanks so much & happy Jeepin' ! :giggle:
FIXED IT ! Thanks everyone ! So it turns out I had corrosion on my terminals (how embarrassing :oops:) and my battery was bouncing around without a proper (secured) strap. So I cleaned my terminals, tightened my connections and the battery strap - and now it works like new !!

Attachments

• 34aa.jpg
    34aa.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0

benatc1

Hooked
Happens to the best of us, a couple summers ago I forgot that I disconnected my winch wires for some reason, and was trying to pull a bush out of my yard and spent 30 minutes messing around with the winch before even looking at the power cables lol.

Upvote 0

CJ has a JK

Happens to the best of us, a couple summers ago I forgot that I disconnected my winch wires for some reason, and was trying to pull a bush out of my yard and spent 30 minutes messing around with the winch before even looking at the power cables lol.
That's awesome, yeah it could be such a small thing that gets in the way! Happy Trails !!

Upvote 0

CJ has a JK

Glad to hear you figured it out on your own.
Actually I can't take the credit - the folks at Warn asked me to check the terminals, because I asked if they think I blew a fuse - and Warn Customer Service said there is no fuse (which surprised me) and said it was a direct 12v connection to the battery. They said any loose connections or corrosion will weaken the connection and cause the 'clicking' sounds I heard when using the remote....thanks again for having this great site, and for all your awesome videos - we all appreciate it so much! Take care! - CJ :giggle:

Upvote 0
Top Bottom