CALAMITY JANE : 1974 Jeep CJ5 Renegade

Wow, awesome purchase!:clap2: Congratulations, have a lot of fun building it up! Can't wait to see the process... ;)

Sweet rig Eddie! I love my 74 CJ5. She needs a lot of lovin but I wouldn't give her up for all the money in the world.

Wow, congratulations on the new member of the family. That CJ brought back a lot of childhood memories, it was actually where I learned how to drive and caught the bug. Looking forward to seeing this beauty restored!:clap2:

That looks like a great find!! For the most part in good shape!! It should be fun working on it though!! Congrats and can't wait to see the final outcome!!

So cool it has the 304 V8 and 3 speed! Same as I have in Pops, my “73 CJ. I have a new Bestop top as well but it doesn’t have the 2 piece doors. The original doors have clear bottom panels as well. I will watch your progress on this one as I still have a long way to go on mine. I have a ton more questions but I will wait until we see it in person. :thumb:

Don't take this the wrong way but you suck. Lol
Kidding aside awesome Jeep. The wife and I almost picked up a 5 from a friend a few weeks ago but it sold before we could make up our mind

Memories. My brother and I bought a 1970 CJ5 when we were teens. Took on all for $50 a hill climb! Wish I kept it.

Congrats on owning a CJ! My first car was a '84 CJ-7 with inline 6. My dad still owns the CJ and runs it on our ranch back home. It's what got me into Jeeping in the first place. I remember going on a Jeep jamboree back when I was only 15 and my Dad letting me get behind the wheel and take it up some steep climbs. Truly a way of life!

Can't wait to see the progression of this one. I've always liked this body style. Thanks for sharing the CJ pics.:thumb:

Seems like you have some awesome rock crawlers already. Why not keep it close to stock for running around forest roads? It would still be fun and you wouldn't have to beef up the axles. Have fun with it. :thumb:

^^^ I'm with Red, stock would be awesome. Either way, I'm sure it'll be classy when y'all are done. Sweet find. :thumb:

Very cool!...makes me miss my '76 with a 401. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3870.JPG
    IMG_3870.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 129
Seems like you have some awesome rock crawlers already. Why not keep it close to stock for running around forest roads? It would still be fun and you wouldn't have to beef up the axles. Have fun with it. :thumb:

That's most likely what we'll be doing. We really love the fact that it came with the factory aluminum Renegade wheels and that they're in such great shape. It'd be hard to run tires that were too much bigger on them and as it is, the thing is a ton of fun to drive around as is.

Great find! Congrats...

Thanks Tony, I think you and Steph would really like this one :yup:

Congrats Eddie! The CJ s are the class many of us grew to love! Hard to find jewels like yours in Ohio! Lol! You'll have a blast in this one! Looks like a fun build!

LOL!! I can only imagine. Being that this was from Nevada and spent just a bit of time in California, it's in about as good of a condition as they get. Hell, the old 81 CJ7 I used to have was in worse shape than this. :yup:

Great old and rare find. You're right about the floor pan rust. Lots of these old warriors have been left out in fields with no tops and the floor drains closed. The bench seat reminds me of my '66 CJ5 Tuxedo Park Mark IV. We named it The Mayflower in honor of the girls who came across in it.:D

LOL!! Love the "Mayflower" name. As far as the floor pans go, there were rubber mats over it and when I pulled them up to see how bad things were, I was literally shocked to see clean painted steel still in place.

Nice addition!!
Now you need a bigger garage. :)

That or a car port around back. :crazyeyes:
Fortunately, the CJ5 and our CJ3B are so small that I can stack them in end on end in one of the bays if needed. OR, I can park them sideways down at the end and can maybe fit another one or two small Jeeps like them :D

That is just too cool. [emoji41]

When I come home with a surprise purchase, it's usually a shirt for one of my kids. Lol. [emoji23][emoji23]

I dig the name CJ as well. Cindy is going to make that stick for sure. Congrats. [emoji106]

Don't be giving Cindy any ideas now!

Yep it was my first the jeep the one that started it all haha I might of posted a pic of it a while back but here's the only one I have on my phone lol

No way, that thing is sweet!! Never knew you had it, very nice :thumb:

Im surprised theres any rust on it, from what I have been told ite\s dry out there and snow is some thing you never see, Our first Jeep was a new 76 CJ5, it was the start of making them more civilized with upgraded steering column and shifter, spare on the side was a night mare. simple and easy to work on, CONGRATS on the new addition.:beer:

Oh yeah, Nevada is real kind to older vehicles :yup:

That 40 year old winch looks like it's in better shape than my 2.5 year old Chinese winch. Lol

Jeep looks good!

:cheesy: That's for damn sure :crazyeyes:

Awesome Jeep [emoji106]

Does the factory winch still work?

Yep! I made sure to test it out. 40 years old, never been serviced or that I can tell and it works like the day it was installed. And, looking at the scoring on the hawse fairlead, it's been used quite a bit. :yup:

Wow an original 8274. That's an incredible find Eddie. Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Apparently, it's technically an 8074 which is older and doesn't have a clutch. But really, the line speed on this thing is so fast, you don't need one. Hell, it's almost faster to spool out than it would be to pull line on most winches today. :crazyeyes:

The fact that the winch still works is proof that a warn winch is worth every penny.

That's what I say and that's why I ONLY run WARN's on my Jeeps :yup:

Nice! Great that it hasn't been messed with too much, makes everything so much easier. Congrats and can't wait to see what's next for it!

Top Bottom