Bumper Chop advice

dlm_jku

Since upgrading to 37s, at full stuff I have some rubbing in the rear. I was thinking about just trimming my bumper back as bit (around where the red line I drew is), and cut the corner of the pinch-seam off. I'm assuming this will be pretty trivial, but since this will be very visible and I haven't done much like this before, I thought I'd ask for advice.

I'm thinking I'd tape off the area to cut, draw a line, and use an angle grinder w/ cutoff wheel to make my cut. Same for the pinch seam, then use some JB-weld or something similar to seal the seam. For the bumper I was thinking after cutting I'd use a hand file and/or grinding disk to smooth out the edge, then seal it with some spray paint.

Any tips/suggestions to this process for better results?
Screenshot_20220720-205902_Gallery.jpg
20220720_205750.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cutoff wheel will get the job done well. I might remove the bumper from your Jeep before cutting though. No need for JB weld. You can touch up the cut with bush on touch up paint or just hit the end up with some satin frame paint. It'll blend before you know it.

dlm_jku

Cutoff wheel will get the job done well. I might remove the bumper from your Jeep before cutting though. No need for JB weld. You can touch up the cut with bush on touch up paint or just hit the end up with some satin frame paint. It'll blend before you know it.
Thanks for the quick response!

JimLee

Hooked
Taping over the cut line with painters tape will help keep the powder coat from coming off in chunks, just draw the line on your tape and cut through the tape. Sometimes powder coat will cut clean and sometimes it won't, lots of different factors.

Top Bottom