Bump while driving

sparks

2017 JKU, pretty much stock, except a few cosmetic upgrades (bumpers), 31k Miles, never wheeled too hard.

Lately I’ve noticed a jolt when starting from a stop or slow roll while in city driving. I have been trying to figure out if it’s worthy of a dealership visit, but I’d like to narrow it down so It’s reproducible.

Anyone have advice on what I can check?

also, how much play should there be in the transfer case when I move the drive shaft back and forth? I’ve never messed with a transfer case so I’m not sure if it’s supposed to move a little, or be rigid.

Thanks for your input

WJCO

Meme King
First thing, make sure there is nothing rolling around in the back. Seriously, something like that can easily create that kind of symptom.

Next, check control arm bushings and ujoints for play.

Yes, the driveshafts will have some rotational play in the tcase. There is backlash between the gears that has to be there, and the driveshaft will turn a little during engagement.

Bustedback

A water bottle rolling around under the seat will drive you crazy and make you think there’s something seriously wrong in the suspension. Four heads in a duffle bag will make quite a bit of noise too.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

sparks

Yes, the driveshafts will have some rotational play in the tcase. There is backlash between the gears that has to be there, and the driveshaft will turn a little during engagement.

Not so much rotational ... if I grab the drive shaft and push and pull it - drivers side to passenger side the transfer case moves.

I’ll try to get a video tomorrow morning.

sparks

First thing, make sure there is nothing rolling around in the back. Seriously, something like that can easily create that kind of symptom.

A water bottle rolling around under the seat will drive you crazy and make you think there’s something seriously wrong in the suspension. Four heads in a duffle bag will make quite a bit of noise too.

I cleaned the interior really well after a trip to the beach today. I’m headed to the city tomorrow evening - hopefully it was one of the random articles of crap I threw away from under the seat(s)

Forgot all about the dead hooker back there, tossed her behind the Waffle House dumpster

Top Bottom