Build Questions & Axles

tucked

Hello,

I've been reading all I can on several different threads about axle replacements. 2017 will see my Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude edition taking a completely different turn. I'm already in the process of replacing items that were bought for looks... with quality items to withstand the test of time. I know everything I've done to "mess up" my build, but am correcting things as I can. I originally had this Jeep set up for looks... and a YJ to take off road and beat around in... but found the JKU much more capable, and comfortable than the 2.5L YJ. I've sold my YJ and it's time to build into a beast. I have been trying to come up with a solid plan so I don't have to re-do things... again.

Goals - Streetable, but wheeler. Hope to be trailering on long trips. Wheel some around home, but the types of trails that interest me most in doing successfully....

Colorado - Holy Cross
Moab - Kane Creek Canyon, Golden Spike
California - Rubicon Trail

I don't see myself ever going on more difficult trails in this Jeep.... would love to eventually get a "buggy" type Jeep for more difficult.

315/70/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers have been replaced with 35x12.50z17 BFG KM02
Cheap chinese made front bumper, replaced with locally sourced solid steel bumper
Stock rear bumper replaced with locally sourced solid steel bumper
Engine, Transmission, Transfercase, EVAP skid plates
Cheap amazon lighting replaced with Rigid lights

Now the big decisions....

Dana 30, 4.88 Gears, Eaton E-locker will be replaced THIS YEAR. Local shop recommended not doing any additional bracing if I am truly going to replace in the next few months. What do I replace with. PR44 or do I strive for something better... such as the PR60? Is the PR44 enough? Im on 35's now, but would love to be at least on 37's someday...maybe bigger, but highly doubt it. Should I be looking at PR60 instead?

Rear Dana 44, 4.88 Gears, Eaton True-trac limited slip.... Is the stock strong enough? Is there a suitable upgrade, or should I be looking at other options? (If I upgrade I will go with a true locker, not a limited slip... when I first got it regeared, I did not anticipate much off-road in this Jeep, and wanted the best on-road manners, and towing a small camping trailer.

Lift... don't laugh. I went cheap.. wanted it lifted.. and lifted now! Currently running a 3" Zone lift. I know that will be replaced with better when I switch axles. I have been reading through so many threads.... I want to stay with the stock arm length, and about 3" lift. If I upgrade to 37's, I will switch to Metal Cloak fenders for added clearance. Evo enforcer 3" lift? Right now I am running oem arms... but ready to upgrade.

Would love to just throw $20,000 at it... but need to be a little more conservative at the moment...

Last edited:
Dana 30, 4.88 Gears, Eaton E-locker will be replaced THIS YEAR. Local shop recommended not doing any additional bracing if I am truly going to replace in the next few months. What do I replace with. PR44 or do I strive for something better... such as the PR60? Is the PR44 enough? Im on 35's now, but would love to be at least on 37's someday...maybe bigger, but highly doubt it. Should I be looking at PR60 instead?

This is subjective, and really based on the tire size you want to run. A ProRock 44 is comfortable up to a 37" tire, and by that I mean you'd have to work it pretty hard to break shafts etc.
A ProRock 60 is suited more towards 40's, or if someone is REALLY womping on the 37's. For most people, a 44 serves just fine.

Rear Dana 44, 4.88 Gears, Eaton True-trac limited slip.... Is the stock strong enough? Is there a suitable upgrade, or should I be looking at other options? (If I upgrade I will go with a true locker, not a limited slip... when I first got it regeared, I did not anticipate much off-road in this Jeep, and wanted the best on-road manners, and towing a small camping trailer.

The rear JK 44 is significantly stronger than the front, and a TRUE 44 with 3" tubes. Also, since you do not have a rubicon, you can upgrade the rear to 35 spline shafts (same as a D60).
It can go either way, some people prefer to go Dynatrac in the rear since they are a lot cheaper than front axles. If you're running 37's and under, you're fine keeping the OEM 44 in the rear.

Lift... don't laugh. I went cheap.. wanted it lifted.. and lifted now! Currently running a 3" Zone lift. I know that will be replaced with better when I switch axles. I have been reading through so many threads.... I want to stay with the stock arm length, and about 3" lift. If I upgrade to 37's, I will switch to Metal Cloak fenders for added clearance. Evo enforcer 3" lift? Right now I am running oem arms... but ready to upgrade.

Haha, I still have my BDS/Zone kit on my JK from forever ago, and to be honest it isn't horrible. I would have gone with an Enforcer the next time around, but other than some spring sag it's actually served me quite well with some JKS LCA's.

The trails you listed can all be done simply with 37" tires.
I would say :
--PR44 front axle housing
--5.13 gears
--2.5" lift of your choice (preferably EVO coilovers)
--trim fenders
--37" tires and wheels

I've done all of the trails you listed with 37s

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

My suggestion is to read through the build threads on this site and find a Jeep that is similar to what your looking for, and see what they did. Figuring out tire size will help determine what you do, and Dynatrac and EVO are great companies.

Thank you for the response... I am thinking my driving style a PR44 would get the job done, even on 37's. I don't have many complaints on the Zone lift other than my 3" is only about 2" now with bumper/winch on it. It suited me well for 2 trips out west and several trails in Moab. I visited the Rubicon trail (I was in the area and wanted to see it)... no armor, no lockers, no skid plates.... I made it about a mile and decided I had a long way to drive home... but would definitely be coming back!

This is subjective, and really based on the tire size you want to run. A ProRock 44 is comfortable up to a 37" tire, and by that I mean you'd have to work it pretty hard to break shafts etc.
A ProRock 60 is suited more towards 40's, or if someone is REALLY womping on the 37's. For most people, a 44 serves just fine.

The rear JK 44 is significantly stronger than the front, and a TRUE 44 with 3" tubes. Also, since you do not have a rubicon, you can upgrade the rear to 35 spline shafts (same as a D60).
It can go either way, some people prefer to go Dynatrac in the rear since they are a lot cheaper than front axles. If you're running 37's and under, you're fine keeping the OEM 44 in the rear.

Haha, I still have my BDS/Zone kit on my JK from forever ago, and to be honest it isn't horrible. I would have gone with an Enforcer the next time around, but other than some spring sag it's actually served me quite well with some JKS LCA's.

Thank you. I know I eventually want 37's... and will probably be happy with that. I wish I would have just done 5.13's to begin with but was talked out of it on the D30. Looking forward to getting these upgrades done! Headed to the All-4-Fun even in Colorado in July and then on to Moab the week after.

The trails you listed can all be done simply with 37" tires.
I would say :
--PR44 front axle housing
--5.13 gears
--2.5" lift of your choice (preferably EVO coilovers)
--trim fenders
--37" tires and wheels

I've done all of the trails you listed with 37s

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom