Build in Progress

Hey everyone. Well, I'm not sure if there is a wrong or right way to go about this but here it is anyway.

I've had my 99 TJ since 2004. After buy this second one, I decided this would be the one I was going to build. I did not get the chance to build my first once mainly because it was an SE 99 model with a 4 banger. This thing was great the way she came. The second one I bought was the "luxury" version because it was a Sahara with A/C, factory stereo, and all factory speakers.

The idea behind my build was do it right the first time with the budget at hand.

I would have started the thread during the initial "surgery" of it all, but I barely became a member after all major mods were done.

As we all know, the mods are never over.

I guess I can start off with pics from what she looked like before it all, then I can show the pics of progress.

My plan was.....

ARB Bull Bar
Warn Winch 9.5ti
Garvin Wilderness Rack
Rock Hard Rear Bumper
Rock Hard Rear Tire Carrier
Rock Hard Rack above tire carrier
Rock Hard Jerry Can Holders with Jerry Cans
Smittybilt Bolt on Cage
Hi-Lift on Hood Mounts
4.5" RELA
G2 Dana 44 Front and Rear
5.13 Gears
ARB Lockers Front and Rear
PSC Hydraulic Assit Steering

Before the time came to begin mods, I was happy to get her out of garage from nearly 3 years of being parked.

Here she is........

IMG_0911.jpg IMG_1373.jpg IMG_1375.jpg IMG_1377.jpg IMG_1407.jpg IMG_1406.jpg IMG_1404.jpg IMG_1442.jpg IMG_1441.jpg IMG_1451.jpg View attachment 127523 IMG_1475.jpg IMG_1540.jpg IMG_1538.jpg IMG_1542.jpg IMG_1841.jpg IMG_1845_2.jpg IMG_1844.jpg IMG_1846_2.jpg IMG_1506.jpg

Well, since the build, I have been happy with the setup. I did run in to some heat problems. My temperature started rising and Jeep began to run hotter than usual. I decided it was time to replace radiator since it was the original one from 99. After radiator was replaced, Jeep was still running hot. I started to do some process of elimination and decided to replace fan clutch, water pump, temp sensor, and thermostat. Oh, and while I was at it, I also replaced the oil pressure sensor since it was also acting kind of funny.

I immediately began to see a change in temperature after I replaced all the above; however, it still was running hotter than usual. I still couldn't figure out why it was getting hot on me. It would only do it when I was running it at about 75-80 mph. When I would run at 60-65 mph, the temp would come down.

I did notice antifreeze was coming out of drain plug and at the top section where plastic meets aluminum. I decided I should warranty out the radiator and replace it with a different one. I did some research and heard great things about Griffin, so I pulled the trigger on it.

After getting it on, I took Jeep and expressway and opened her up to test it out. Well, she hasn't gone over the half way mark. It's running a whole lot cooler now.

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Rharvey160

Bad Ass TJ. Any good beach spots to run down that way. My wife and I run down to the 50 mile marker on PINS and camped on the beach. It was a good weekend.

Bad Ass TJ. Any good beach spots to run down that way. My wife and I run down to the 50 mile marker on PINS and camped on the beach. It was a good weekend.

Thanks Rharvey160.

You could actually go to South Padre Island. There is a section down at the end called access 6 where most people go that want to camp out and drive on beach. From access 6, I believe it approximately 25 mile to the "East Cut". Truth be told, I have not made it that far but have hung out around a couple miles in from 6.

Last edited:
Overview

Well, since the build, I have been happy with the setup. I did run in to some heat problems. My temperature started rising and Jeep began to run hotter than usual. I decided it was time to replace radiator since it was the original one from 99. After radiator was replaced, Jeep was still running hot. I started to do some process of elimination and decided to replace fan clutch, water pump, temp sensor, and thermostat. Oh, and while I was at it, I also replaced the oil pressure sensor since it was also acting kind of funny.

I immediately began to see a change in temperature after I replaced all the above; however, it still was running hotter than usual. I still couldn't figure out why it was getting hot on me. It would only do it when I was running it at about 75-80 mph. When I would run at 60-65 mph, the temp would come down.

I did notice antifreeze was coming out of drain plug and at the top section where plastic meets aluminum. I decided I should warranty out the radiator and replace it with a different one. I did some research and heard great things about Griffin, so I pulled the trigger on it.

After getting it on, I took Jeep and expressway and opened her up to test it out. Well, she hasn't gone over the half way mark. It's running a whole lot cooler now.

Hood Mount Light Bracket

Picked these up from Rough Country. Double Row LED 20" Light Bar Bracket. I haven't decided just yet if I want a light bar just yet. I was thinking the ARB lights instead.

IMG_1798.jpg IMG_1782.JPG

Top Bottom