Broken rock crawler track bar bracket

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Had a great weekend rock crawling at rausch creek this weekend. About 1 hour before heading home I broke the bracket where my psc tabs are welded on. I have a couple questions if you all could help. I capped the steering box and headed home.
1 does it look safe to drive until fixed.

2. My friend has a synergy bracket I could have. Would it be a good one for my purpose.

3. Would it work with rock krawler track bar? Or should I get a new one.

4. Recommendations for other/better components are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Wow, that sucks. I've seen a couple of people having breaks lately, call them on their warranty, they might send you a free shirt? Last thread I read some guys drag link broke on the freeway and almost died, but they were kind enough to send him a shirt..
I would go with any raised track bar bracket, besides rk.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
olram30 said:
Wow, that sucks. I've seen a couple of people having breaks lately, call them on their warranty, they might send you a free shirt? Last thread I read some guys drag link broke on the freeway and almost died, but they were kind enough to send him a shirt.. I would go with any raised track bar bracket, besides rk.

Yes I agree I'm going with a different brand. Not sure if I should or need to go with a new track bar also.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
the evo ones use factory tb. And you already have a rk adjustable one correct? Thinking you should be fine.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
olram30 said:
the evo ones use factory tb. And you already have a rk adjustable one correct? Thinking you should be fine.

Yes I do have a adjustable rk. I wasn't aware evo had one too I'll check it out.

Rebel JK

Damn, just an observation here but it looks like the heim threads are jacked and bent as well. Looks like ram may have been out of center putting more pressure on heim/ RC bracket when turning (or overturning) hard driver? I'd check closely the driver side tierod at knuckle also. What does the steering stops look like?

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Rebel JK said:
Damn, just an observation here but it looks like the heim threads are jacked and bent as well. Looks like ram may have been out of center putting more pressure on heim/ RC bracket when turning (or overturning) hard driver? I'd check closely the driver side tierod at knuckle also. What does the steering stops look like?

I see what your saying. I checked the heim on the psc and it does seem bent. Can you explain how it needs centered. It would not steer as far to the driver. I did add 3 or 4 washer to the steering stop on that side so it would not over extend.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
image-2232734768.jpg

Come to think of it I did hit my tie rod on a rock pretty hard. Do you think that might of weekend it or do you think I had it set up wrong.

Rebel JK

I'm no expert here as I haven't yet installed hydro on mine but maybe one of the guys will chime in and explain it better. From what I've researched, the throw of the ram (left and right travel combined) must not exceed the left /right travel of your tierod. If it does, it will basically stress out or break whatever is being over stressed at hard turn. In your case it was the RC bracket. It may have also caused your driver side tierod end to bend or break I would imagine.
Adding washers to your steering stops would not stand a chance to stopping the hydro assist if you are turning against them. My guess is you need to revisit your setup and with ram throw being equal to tierod throw and making sure they are centered. Another thought is that any track bar bracket may not hold up to the noncentered ram pressure over time. If one did, then the next weak link may be the tierod end or knuckle to fail.
Again just my humble opinion on this, there are a lot of guys running it currently who know better the setup than I do and hopefully can jump in.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Rebel JK said:
I'm no expert here as I haven't yet installed hydro on mine but maybe one of the guys will chime in and explain it better. From what I've researched, the throw of the ram (left and right travel combined) must not exceed the left /right travel of your tierod. If it does, it will basically stress out or break whatever is being over stressed at hard turn. In your case it was the RC bracket. It may have also caused your driver side tierod end to bend or break I would imagine. Adding washers to your steering stops would not stand a chance to stopping the hydro assist if you are turning against them. My guess is you need to revisit your setup and with ram throw being equal to tierod throw and making sure they are centered. Another thought is that any track bar bracket may not hold up to the noncentered ram pressure over time. If one did, then the next weak link may be the tierod end or knuckle to fail. Again just my humble opinion on this, there are a lot of guys running it currently who know better the setup than I do and hopefully can jump in.

Thank you for your input and I'm sure your correct. I just need to figure out how to get it set up correctly. My friend and I both have this set up and when steering to the driver it would not hit the steering stop. That's why I put the washers in. I'm sure we have something wrong so any more advice would really help.

Serg5000

I'm not sure it's the bracket that was the issue. Are they meant for having hydro brackets welded to them? I don't recall them saying or advertising it's good for this. I think when a part fails we jump on placing blame. Kind of like the EVO flip kit drag link that was just posted of it failing. I'm not sure that was the parts fault either. Just my two cents.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Serg5000 said:
I'm not sure it's the bracket that was the issue. Are they meant for having hydro brackets welded to them? I don't recall them saying or advertising it's good for this. I think when a part fails we jump on placing blame. Kind of like the EVO flip kit drag link that was just posted of it failing. I'm not sure that was the parts fault either. Just my two cents.

I did not mean to place blame as I stated on my replies that I agreed it was the way I have it set up. Your right I'm sure the bracket was not made for that. But in my original post I was asking for help not just bashing a product.

Rebel JK

Thats exactly what im saying, if theres enough pressure to bend the heim then i think its prolly not the bracket. The broken bracket is likely the result of non centered setup or too much ram travel.
Most guys will just see broken part while others look for upstream causes.

Serg5000

I did not mean to place blame as I stated on my replies that I agreed it was the way I have it set up. Your right I'm sure the bracket was not made for that. But in my original post I was asking for help not just bashing a product.

My mistake. I apologize.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why wouldn't the bracket be made for it? I run a PSC on my EVO flip and haven't had any issues with it. I know plenty of other people who do as well and without any problems. As far as the factory drag link that bent on the other thread, that was NOT an EVO part and clearly something was going on that we're not being told as that is the first I have ever seen or heard of it happening. Of course, what do I know.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pic of our EVO kit with PSC....

main.php

Just saying....

CRAZYCASEY

You can fold or break a track bar bracket pretty easily with a ram, they are not normally designed to hold that kind if pressure. The first thing I would do with a break like that is figure out why it happened. That is a very interesting break for sure so I'm guessing there is something else behind it. When you get a new bracket you will problably want to box it in and add some bracing to make it is stronger than your average bracket.

View attachment 89836

Sorry meant to attach this

I see an awful lot of rust in that picture which could be a contributing factor. I also see where the end of the bracket behind the ram's mounting tabs isn't really supported as well as it should be for the amount of pressure against it. If you have the correct setup (especially the ram), then the amount of throw shouldn't be an issue unless it is not adjusted properly. When you mentioned having to insert washers, the first alarm that went off with me is that you possibly did not have the ram properly adjusted at the tierod end, at which point the ram had more throw left in it than your steering stops would allow thus causing bending/breaking of the weakest link which is the brackets.

Top Bottom