Broken Door Check Nut.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Tonight I took the doors off to enjoy the weather and evening out with some friends. While taking the left rear door off the welded nut INSIDE the B-pillar broke away from the door jamb and fell down in the pillar, it’s gone. I can only imagine the surgery to the pillar necessary to repair that…..does anyone think maybe a nutsert may work to repair it? I really don’t want to hand the Gladiator off to a body shop for this sort of warranty repair. Thoughts?

* we just got in and it’s dark out I’ll post pics tomorrow

Last edited:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I would imagine so, but I don’t really want all the layers of the pillar dismantled for that If it can be avoided…..Unless I’m missing something, I’d think that’s a pretty intense tear down for a vehicle that has no structural damage. I’m going to remove some of the trim inside of the pillar tomorrow and have a look.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
After a Google search, it appears it has happened to some others. In one case, a nutsert is exactly what the dealership did to repair it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
After a Google search, it appears it has happened to some others. In one case, a nutsert is exactly what the dealership did to repair it.
I don’t think I would let that fly at the dealership. If I did it myself, no problem but for a dealership I would not accept.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t think I would let that fly at the dealership. If I did it myself, no problem but for a dealership I would not accept.
You mean because it would probably only last for one removal of the bolt before it just spun in place? :rolleyes:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Dang. I gotta ask though, you been hitting that with a power tool and not the cutesy little ratchet haven’t you?
Nah not at all, it’s only the third time I’ve had them off. The first three doors/bolts came right out no problem. Maybe they’re not off enough is the problem and the threads had a hint of corrosion. no cross threading or anything either.

WJCO

Meme King
Dang. I gotta ask though, you been hitting that with a power tool and not the cutesy little ratchet haven’t you?
Nah not at all, it’s only the third time I’ve had them off. The first three doors/bolts came right out no problem. Maybe they’re not off enough is the problem and the threads had a hint of corrosion. no cross threading or anything either.
I've had mine off at least 10 times and I use an electric ratchet to take that bolt on and off, no issues so far. When I put them back on with the ratchet, my ratchet stops when resistance is felt, and then I usually just turn the bolt by hand about 45 degrees or so.

Top Bottom