breathing new life into my JK

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm getting factory ten , just the rears, cause I put brand new spicer joints in the front , an front axels seemed decent for now.
Plus my rear axels flanges are bent :/

Oh I thought you meant axles not a axle shafts lol

Take a look at revolution axle shafts. They have a lifetime warranty and they are 4340 shafts so they are bigger then the ten factory. Call trail jeeps as they always have them in stock

TrailRidden

nice new shoes!

How is that quadratec winch by the way. I saw when they first came out but never heard any reviews on them.

Recurve

Oh I thought you meant axles not a axle shafts lol

Take a look at revolution axle shafts. They have a lifetime warranty and they are 4340 shafts so they are bigger then the ten factory. Call trail jeeps as they always have them in stock

Yeah I got to be more specific lol.
Okay I will check them out! Also does trail keeps have a web site?

nice new shoes!

How is that quadratec winch by the way. I saw when they first came out but never heard any reviews on them.

It's not bad for the price. It was already on my jeep when I bought it. I've used it about a dozen times in the past year.
The remote is very cheap, and sometimes it has a hard time connecting to the plastic plug on the winch.
The plastic threads got jacked up on mine.

It hasn't failed me yet. Just it's not the best quality. I'm eventually going to get a warn zeon.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have that same connection issue with mine, I think its a little corroded as well, other than that has been great but I as well want to get a warn.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah I got to be more specific lol.
Okay I will check them out! Also does trail keeps have a web site?

Not yet but when you call Tim is super nice and helpful. He will be able to tell you what they carry and hook you up with a great deal. Just make sure you tell him your a Wayalife member for the extra discount.

TrailRidden

good to hear that there is a cheap winch that works out there. I have had my zeon for about 2 years now. What an awesome purchase. You wont be disappointed.

Recurve

Not yet but when you call Tim is super nice and helpful. He will be able to tell you what they carry and hook you up with a great deal. Just make sure you tell him your a Wayalife member for the extra discount.

Sweet thanks steve, I will probably go that route then. I was going to go northridge. Thats how I got my slabs, an they were actually really fast this time lol, Got them in 3 days.

good to hear that there is a cheap winch that works out there. I have had my zeon for about 2 years now. What an awesome purchase. You wont be disappointed.

Yeah it definitely works. If I was buying a winch for the first time though I would get a warn. I dont know how many times my quadratec saved my ass when I was stuck out in the mountains by myself. So I really want a warn,I think a quality winch should be everyones first purchase when modifying their jeep, that an recovery gear.
That said, the quadratec has been doing just fine.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Yeah , I guess reason why I want a hydro assist is cause my steering box is leaking an having all kinds of issues.
I'm going to replace the box, an see if I can get the sector shaft a bit tighter so it's not so sloppy.
Also I'm back to wanting 37s now because of the new jkx part 4 lol.
As far as axels goes,was thinking of going with ten factory with the full circle clips.

Not sure if you've addressed this, but you can actually add a brace to your sector shaft. A couple companies make one, but I like the JKS one the best. It is weld in and if you decide to go with hydro steering you have to keep the stock steering box body, but the benefits are it converts the sector shaft to double shear and it has a brace that connects to the passenger side frame rail for extra support. You have to weld it on, but that doesn't look like a problem for you.

Recurve

Not sure if you've addressed this, but you can actually add a brace to your sector shaft. A couple companies make one, but I like the JKS one the best. It is weld in and if you decide to go with hydro steering you have to keep the stock steering box body, but the benefits are it converts the sector shaft to double shear and it has a brace that connects to the passenger side frame rail for extra support. You have to weld it on, but that doesn't look like a problem for you.

Yeah I looked into sector shaft braces. From what I read on here, a sector shaft brace is kinda useless on a jk. The mounting point to the beefy jk frame is pretty sturdy. More common on the early jeeps was their steering boxes mounted to flimsy frames and the box would shear off.
Thats where the sector shaft brace would come into play an help with that.

Now if it helps with the slop then I might have a second look. I haven't really looked into my steering at all, I just know its kinda clunky an the box is leaking. I figured ram assist is the best bet to my problems.

Recurve

SPRING CLEANING!!
Havnt been on here in awhile so myswell update.

With spring here , it's time to clean up my rig!

Started with a brand new 2015 oem soft top! With river raiders shop down the road from me, I have access to a lot of nice stock parts.
Pretty much wealthy guys that buy brand new jk's drop them off there first thing. Then remove all the stock parts for other aftermarket things ...

Anyways , it works out for me especially when I need spare parts on the cheap.

What's great.. I only paid 350 for this 2015 top..

Install
image.jpg
image.jpg
There she is, I'm actually liking this top. My old trektop nx just was faded, holes,ripped up too much. It's nice having a top that doesn't leak!! Lol
image.jpg

Recurve

Okay part 2 of spring cleaning! This past weekend I decided to go over the WHOLE frame , clean up the rust from the east coast.
Also I powder coated my front evo bumper matte black, while I was at it I had the door hinges done in matte black as well.

Starting with the front , I took at the headlight rings cause they were rusty too.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Blasted off as much putting as a could, time for the powder!
image.jpg
Bolts powder, an hinges too. Turned out great
image.jpg
image.jpg
On to the frame starting with the front axel/frame
image.jpg
Side of the frame , an also took off my rock guards an cleaned/resprayed AGAIN.. Lol northeast...
image.jpg
Onto the rear section, I finally decided to paint my rear fender wells, since I was doing the frame anyways. I'm glad I did!
image.jpg
image.jpg
Fender wells painted
image.jpg
Time to put the powdered parts back on!!
image.jpg
Hinges turned out great too!
image.jpg

Recurve

All in all it it took about a couple days work. Big shout out to my buddy Jason Huber , he powder coated the parts for me, an gave me a hand cleaning everything up. :thumb:

Here is the Redstag ready for spring ! :rock:
image.jpg
image.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Man that frame looks brand new! Did you powder the frame or just give it a good cleaning and repaint it?

Recurve

Man that frame looks brand new! Did you powder the frame or just give it a good cleaning and repaint it?

Yeah it turned out really good! I wish I could've powder it. Just that's really difficult to do. I just gave the whole frame a really good cleaning/sanding , an then painted it with rustolem semi gloss.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I should really strip down my bumpers and carrier and have it coated, they look like crap now. Looks really good with it all painted up.

Top Bottom