Brakes that accelerate???

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Buddy of mine has a 2021or maybe 2020 JTR.
He said he was driving down the street coming up to a stop sign, when he applied the brakes to stop it did the opposite. He said when he hit the brakes the trans downshifted and accelerated. He said no he didn't accidently fat foot both pedals. So basically, his brake pedal is operating as an accelerator and brake or some shit.
Has anyone heard of this happening? It's at the dealer now and they haven't been able to figure it out for over a week now.

Sgt_USMC

By chance is it a v6 with e-torque and auto trans?
I have heard of this happening once before on a 2020 JL v6 w/e-torque. I can post a link if needed/wanted to the forum where this is, but here is what they said happened after months of back and forth:

“Jeep determined the lunging came from the etoque regulator malfunctioning causing the Jeep to lunge forward when the brake is pressed and in gear.”

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Our 2.0 JL (non etorque) sometimes feels like it wants to lunge a little when coming to a stop. When I've felt it, it's always been slight and never felt like it is going to take off in an unsafe manner though.

kevman65

Hooked
Are you sure he wasn't feeling the engine brake kick in and the extra torque FELT like he was accelerating?

The engine brake is a wicked thing until you get used to it.

kevman65

Hooked
By chance is it a v6 with e-torque and auto trans?
I have heard of this happening once before on a 2020 JL v6 w/e-torque. I can post a link if needed/wanted to the forum where this is, but here is what they said happened after months of back and forth:

“Jeep determined the lunging came from the etoque regulator malfunctioning causing the Jeep to lunge forward when the brake is pressed and in gear.”
e-torque isn't available in the JT, YET.

jeeeep

Hooked
Buddy of mine has a 2021or maybe 2020 JTR.
He said he was driving down the street coming up to a stop sign, when he applied the brakes to stop it did the opposite. He said when he hit the brakes the trans downshifted and accelerated. He said no he didn't accidently fat foot both pedals. So basically, his brake pedal is operating as an accelerator and brake or some shit.
Has anyone heard of this happening? It's at the dealer now and they haven't been able to figure it out for over a week now.
I had this happen a several times on the JL, each time I took it to the dealer that couldn't make it repeat and the last time they claimed it was because of the 37's - but the times before it was 100% stock 🤬

After some arguing and them having it for a week, the told me they did a transmission reset, head unit reset (not sure what that has to do with any of it) and they decreased the throttle sensitivity (before this I could spin the 37's with little throttle, it was touchy as hell).

I haven't had the issue since.

DMF

I've been wanting to bleed my brakes because it feels like I have to step on it a lot harder to come to a complete stop compare to my other cars. Guess this is a normal thing and just need to get use to it. I don't even want to talk about acceleration. The 2.0 is so laggy, uggghhh.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
After some arguing and them having it for a week, the told me they did a transmission reset, head unit reset (not sure what that has to do with any of it)
On mopars and older GM vehicles a lot of the communication travels thru the radio. When the radio goes down you can’t program a vehicle and/or you will have other communication issues.

JimLee

Hooked
On mopars and older GM vehicles a lot of the communication travels thru the radio. When the radio goes down you can’t program a vehicle and/or you will have other communication issues.
This, that head unit is almost as important as your PCM in JL/JTs. I've read of people being stranded with a dead Jeep because the radio died, I've also read of a few Jeeps being bricked because the head unit locked up during an over the air update. It's stupid, but it is what it is. Thank god for my shit box edition with the lowest tech head unit you can buy IMO.

jeeeep

Hooked
that's insane, but good to know.
may be worth buying an extended warranty because the head unit still has navigation glitches 🤬

Top Bottom