Bottle Jack

TrailHunter

Hooked
I know this is an old thread :geek:
...but I recently got my bottle jack (from a wrecked MB sprinter) and I was wondering where do you guys carry it in your Wrangler? I was thinking under the rear seats in a well secured bag... but I am open for suggestions
I’ve had mine in a bag either under the rear seat... or tucked right behind the seat, in the cargo area.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I know this is an old thread :geek:
...but I recently got my bottle jack (from a wrecked MB sprinter) and I was wondering where do you guys carry it in your Wrangler? I was thinking under the rear seats in a well secured bag... but I am open for suggestions
Mine is in an ammo can. I put it there because every one I buy seems to leak, if it isn’t stored upright.

CalSgt

Hooked
Wherever you decide to store it, just make sure it can't go airborne in case of a flop or roll...
I watched a dude flop a JK hard on Memorial weekend, sport cage, front stinger, and armored fenders really minimized the damage and may have saved him. After the recovery I assisted in picking up the yard sale of shit that flew out: bottle jack, axle shaft, some heavy tools Etc. I pointed out to the guy that any one of them could have easily turned his head into a canoe.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wherever you decide to store it, just make sure it can't go airborne in case of a flop or roll...
A friend of my mothers lost her daughter in an accident like that. The car went off the road and rolled once. The rear speaker came out of the bracket and hit her in the head killing her. Her boyfriend who was also in the car came out without a scratch. Very crazy accident. I always think about that when I load a vehicle and always have. That was like 20 years ago now too.

Colorado4x4

I watched a dude flop a JK hard on Memorial weekend, sport cage, front stinger, and armored fenders really minimized the damage and may have saved him. After the recovery I assisted in picking up the yard sale of shit that flew out: bottle jack, axle shaft, some heavy tools Etc. I pointed out to the guy that any one of them could have easily turned his head into a canoe.
It’s crazy to see all the crap that comes out of rigs that roll. I love that video of the dude with his 3 girlfriends trying to climb Potato Salad Hill and all the shit that comes rolling out of the bed when he rolls.

I need to figure out a solution for my heavy tool bag in the back. I’ve got my tool bag ratchet strapped to the cargo area floor and they’re attached to the stock cheesy d-rings that are mounted in the floor. My tool bag is heavy and I know that those d-rings are cheesy. Anyone have any ideas for good floor anchor points in the back?

CalSgt

Hooked
It’s crazy to see all the crap that comes out of rigs that roll. I love that video of the dude with his 3 girlfriends trying to climb Potato Salad Hill and all the shit that comes rolling out of the bed when he rolls.

I need to figure out a solution for my heavy tool bag in the back. I’ve got my tool bag ratchet strapped to the cargo area floor and they’re attached to the stock cheesy d-rings that are mounted in the floor. My tool bag is heavy and I know that those d-rings are cheesy. Anyone have any ideas for good floor anchor points in the back?

Not anchor points, but I'm partial to this:

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/collections/misc-taa/products/jeep-box-2007-jk-702010

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
I think the biggest problem with the cubby is that bottle jacks don’t like being stored on their sides. Even the ones we have at work for rescue applications, manufacturers recommend that we keep them upright. Experience seems to show that bottle jacks are as inconsistent as it gets. Those that have been stored on the sides crap out. Upright craps out. Just like guys have bought cheapos that last forever and higher end bottle jacks crapped out. I had a tractor supply jack that fell over in the back of my Jeep and didn’t work when I needed it. Got one from Lowe’s that came in a case and is strapped in upright and is still going strong 5 years later.
I think the only good answer to a bottle jack is if you get lucky or not.
As for size, a 2 ton will work for a tire change, but you’d have to let the air out of a tire and test fit some cribbing to see if it will lift you enough to get the other tire on. All of us have different tire sizes, so what works for some, may not work for you. I know I wouldn’t want the added headache of letting the air out of my spare to get it on and then have to air it up. So I run with a 6 ton and a plate which is 10”X10” 3/4” plywood, 3 layers glued and screwed with a set of 2X4 wedges to snug it in. Gives me enough space to get a fresh tire on.

Brute

Hooked
I think the biggest problem with the cubby is that bottle jacks don’t like being stored on their sides. Even the ones we have at work for rescue applications, manufacturers recommend that we keep them upright. Experience seems to show that bottle jacks are as inconsistent as it gets. Those that have been stored on the sides crap out. Upright craps out. Just like guys have bought cheapos that last forever and higher end bottle jacks crapped out. I had a tractor supply jack that fell over in the back of my Jeep and didn’t work when I needed it. Got one from Lowe’s that came in a case and is strapped in upright and is still going strong 5 years later.
I think the only good answer to a bottle jack is if you get lucky or not.
As for size, a 2 ton will work for a tire change, but you’d have to let the air out of a tire and test fit some cribbing to see if it will lift you enough to get the other tire on. All of us have different tire sizes, so what works for some, may not work for you. I know I wouldn’t want the added headache of letting the air out of my spare to get it on and then have to air it up. So I run with a 6 ton and a plate which is 10”X10” 3/4” plywood, 3 layers glued and screwed with a set of 2X4 wedges to snug it in. Gives me enough space to get a fresh tire on.
962E956E-F7AE-445B-A816-5899696DDB5E.jpeg
I carry my bottle Jack inside this alum box which I use under the jack

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A bottle jack shouldn't leak or at least, a good shouldn't. I've got a really old 12-ton bottle jack that I bought from Napa maybe 20 years ago, carry it on it's side all the time and to this day, it still doesn't leak. If a bottle jack does, it's most likely coming from the o-ring on the release valve. A good bottle jack is designed to be serviced and this is something that is easy to replace.

With that said, I have found that a 12-ton bottle jack gets the job done for most Jeeps. I do carry some cut down pieces of wood with me so that I can have more options. Of the bottle jacks that I have used, I've found that US Jack and Norco make some of the better ones. US Jack is expensive but it is made in the USA. Norco is made in Japan but of course, that's not the same thing as China and I think the quality is very good. They even tout out they have a leak proof design.

US Jack

Norco

And no, I am not sponsored by either of these companies.

CalSgt

Hooked
As for size, a 2 ton will work for a tire change, but you’d have to let the air out of a tire and test fit some cribbing to see if it will lift you enough to get the other tire on.
I went with a 3 ton Jet bottle jack & it isn't tall enough to change a 37, I bought some small stacking RV jack pads to keep in the jeep

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Stabilizing-Helps-Prevent-Sinking/dp/B000BUU5XQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Camco+RV+Stabilizing+Jack+Pads,+Helps+Prevent+Jacks+From+Sinking,+6.5+Inch+x+9+Inch+Pad+-+4+Pack+(44595),+Yellow&qid=1625240102&sr=8-1

ETA: I looked it up & the Jet is a china jack, I thought they were Japanese but guess not

https://www.amazon.com/453303-Capac...s=3+ton+jet+bottle+jack&qid=1625240271&sr=8-3

jeeeep

Hooked
I bought the SafeJack extensions and they work great, I use a metal plate on the bottom of the bottle jack for more surface/stability area.

I've also had to use a combination of scissor jack to lift the Jeep enough to get the bottle jack under it so I keep the scissor jack handy.

All my bottle jacks have leaked, doesn't matter if I store them on their side or upright, I blame the Texas heat... pisses me off when I need it and it doesn't work.

edit - all 6 ton bottle jacks

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’ve had my bottle Jack from harbor freight going on ten years and it’s been stored on its side, upside down, right side up wherever I can store it. No leaks and works like a charm.

MericaMade

I’ve had my bottle Jack from harbor freight going on ten years and it’s been stored on its side, upside down, right side up wherever I can store it. No leaks and works like a charm.
Same here had it for about a year in a bag wrapped in a towel and its been fine.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bottle jacks leaking are like chinese winches, they're totally hit or miss. Fortunately, they're also a hell of a lot cheaper and in most cases, can be fixed with a new o-ring.

Top Bottom