Body mounted tire carrier/factory wheel

Wethy

Heu guys looking at a body mounted carrier to support my 35.
evo would be the ultimate goal. However being realistic i dont think ill be running their corners any time soon. And being in canada its not as easy to get evo parts as the only dealer i know is NR4x4. Besides that shipping from alberta (if that were my only choice) to ontario would be ridiculous.

Im wondering peoples thoughts on the carriers below.

Posion spyder body mounted
genright body mount
Dv8 offroads tire carrier
Crawler concepts hinged carrier.

These are ones i can get from a semi local shop without having to pay shipping. Does anyone know if any of these would have an issue with running a stock rim.

I do know the dv8 requires the factory wheel to be run opposite of an aftermarket wheel. The others are what im not sure about.

jeeeep

Hooked
evo would be the ultimate goal. However being realistic i dont think ill be running their corners any time soon. And being in canada its not as easy to get evo parts as the only dealer i know is NR4x4. Besides that shipping from alberta (if that were my only choice) to ontario would be ridiculous.

genright body mount

These are ones i can get from a semi local shop without having to pay shipping. Does anyone know if any of these would have an issue with running a stock rim.

I do know the dv8 requires the factory wheel to be run opposite of an aftermarket wheel. The others are what im not sure about.

with stock wheels you'll probably have to use a wheel spacer (or mount it backwards) and extend the tire isolators so you have firm contact between the tire and tailgate.

Why not keep the stock carrier, add the spacer (or mount it backwards) and extend the tire body isolators?

I carried my 35 on the stock carrier for about 5 years no issues. extend the tire tailgate isolators so there is no unnecessary tire movement.

J

JKDream

genright body mount

Can't comment on the others but with my CC carrier it didn't clear the bumper unless it was extended all the way out, which made the tire flop up and down. That was with 3.5 BS and 37s.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wethy

with stock wheels you'll probably have to use a wheel spacer (or mount it backwards) and extend the tire isolators so you have firm contact between the tire and tailgate.

Why not keep the stock carrier, add the spacer (or mount it backwards) and extend the tire body isolators?

I carried my 35 on the stock carrier for about 5 years no issues. extend the tire tailgate isolators so there is no unnecessary tire movement.
I did have all that. I even used special vibration isolators from work that are a similar material to the OEM to help. And it was fine. However i just went on a 4700km(3000m) road trip from Ontario to Nova Scotia and back and on the way back i noticed it started to rattle a bit compared to when i left. So as much as i would love to just keep it OEM i dont think ill be that lucky. So preparing for the worst case scenario. Ha ha

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

FFIrish

I'm running the poison spyder one. I'm not using stock wheels though so I'm not sure how they will clear. Takes a little while to install but was worth it to me since it had provisions for rotopax and highlift. I can throw one of my factory rims and tires on and see how it clears and send the pics to you, if you need me to.
IMG_1504.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Wethy

I'm running the poison spyder one. I'm not using stock wheels though so I'm not sure how they will clear. Takes a little while to install but was worth it to me since it had provisions for rotopax and highlift. I can throw one of my factory rims and tires on and see how it clears and send the pics to you, if you need me to.
View attachment 278612

You dont have to if its going to be a pain in the butt. But if you do thatd be awesome. You can post the pictures on this thread even. I have a feeling if its like the others the oem rim may have to be faced the opposite of the way your current rim is. But im not sure how it would work.

FFIrish

You dont have to if its going to be a pain in the butt. But if you do thatd be awesome. You can post the pictures on this thread even. I have a feeling if its like the others the oem rim may have to be faced the opposite of the way your current rim is. But im not sure how it would work.
I don't mind doing it. I get off work on Saturday and I'll do it then. Will post pics as soon as I get it done.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I did have all that. I even used special vibration isolators from work that are a similar material to the OEM to help. And it was fine. However i just went on a 4700km(3000m) road trip from Ontario to Nova Scotia and back and on the way back i noticed it started to rattle a bit compared to when i left. So as much as i would love to just keep it OEM i dont think ill be that lucky. So preparing for the worst case scenario. Ha ha

That’s a bummer that it started to rattle. Were you able to determine where it is coming from on the carrier?

ZachJKUR

I ran the poison spyder cage/carroer one on my last jk. Stock wheels fit fine if you put it in backwards (outside of the rim facing the jeep instead of facing back.) It didn't rattle at all. Tight closure and always liked the locking mechanism compared to some of the others.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wethy

That’s a bummer that it started to rattle. Were you able to determine where it is coming from on the carrier?
honestly havent had a chance to look yet. And it seemed like every time i hit a large bump in the roads you could actually see the tire wobble up and down on the carrier. I assume the amount of miles over 10 days with lots if road construction and poor highways it just couldnt keep up. Some of the highways needed some serious repair. You'd have thought i was bombing across some whoops. I imagine i was also just unlucky in this case as well. I have always believed the 35 would be fine but who knows. I have my old 285/70/17 duratracs for the winter so i have some time to decide what im going to do.
I don't mind doing it. I get off work on Saturday and I'll do it then. Will post pics as soon as I get it done.

Alright thanks again!
I ran the poison spyder cage/carroer one on my last jk. Stock wheels fit fine if you put it in backwards (outside of the rim facing the jeep instead of facing back.) It didn't rattle at all. Tight closure and always liked the locking mechanism compared to some of the others.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
Good to know. I guess it seems like all of the cage style must require the factory rim on backwards. Not a huge deal but good to know about it still fitting tight

FFIrish

Sorry tried to do it yesterday but ran out of time. Better late then never! Looks like you will have to have the factory wheel front facing the jeep, like everyone has said haha.
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1600.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG

sinawalli

My 285-75-17 Nitto Ridge Grappler mounted on OEM tire mount started squeaking hardcore after about 2 months. I see the Crawler Concept one from NR4X4 only comes in bare metal, shitty!!

Wethy

Sorry tried to do it yesterday but ran out of time. Better late then never! Looks like you will have to have the factory wheel front facing the jeep, like everyone has said haha.
View attachment 279057
View attachment 279058
View attachment 279059
View attachment 279060

No worries about how long it took. I just appreciate you checking! And its like itll work and since im running 35s itll fit beter all around. So thanks again
My 285-75-17 Nitto Ridge Grappler mounted on OEM tire mount started squeaking hardcore after about 2 months. I see the Crawler Concept one from NR4X4 only comes in bare metal, shitty!!

And im not too worried about bare metal i have a guy who does all my powdercoating for me so im not too worried on whether any of them come finished. Lol but that sucks. Mine was about 2 weeks. Lol i went offroading the first weekend i had it mounted up then the week after i left for my road trip

mastrcruse

I have run both the Poison Spyder and Genright tire carriers. I prefer the genright.

I had one of the PS first gen handle which rattled a ton and had issues with shearing off (mine didn’t but others had this experience). They upgraded the handle and now it doesn’t seem to be a problem. The single handle was nice for opening and shutting it. The hardware is a bit much on the PS and it was a bit tougher to setup than the genright.

Genright one I prefer as it just feels beefier but is aluminum so the weight added isn’t a ton. The con about the genright is having to mess with the 2 points to open it up which, to me, is not a huge deal. I like the looks of the genright a bit more, just less to look at on the drivers side vs the PS handle cage. I also think it’ll hold up better than the PS would have with a 40+ tire and beadlocks. One other thing I like about the genright is they provide a hole to string brake light wiring through. Not sure if The PS has this also but my 1st gen didn’t. Makes for a very clean look.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I previously ran the genright carrier and loved it. It works with a stock wheel, I ran mine facing out after going to 35s. It isnt correct but will work facing that way on the steel carrier, I kinda remember the mount on the alum is slightly different.

I never had any issues with the carrier, and wanted to keep it but wanted skins so upgraded to the evo carrier. I hit the genright rather hard on a rock ledge that I fell on and other than a minor dent, it held up great and opened/closed even better than when I set it up.

Top Bottom