Biolite Products

WJCO

Meme King
I'm pretty actively involved in backpacking/camping groups. Honestly this is the first I've heard of this company. Doesn't mean it's bad though, I just don't know anything about them.

dwvninety

I have the camp stove with the grill. I like it but it is small. If there is a lot of people in your group its better to bring a bigger grill. I use wood pellets on mine and it gets really hot. Make sure you face the battery part away from the down wind. If you don't the heat will fry up the battery and you will have a useless stove. I did this on my first one but BioLite covered it under warranty.

Heholua

I have the camp stove with the grill. I like it but it is small. If there is a lot of people in your group its better to bring a bigger grill. I use wood pellets on mine and it gets really hot. Make sure you face the battery part away from the down wind. If you don't the heat will fry up the battery and you will have a useless stove. I did this on my first one but BioLite covered it under warranty.

Thanks for your insight. How long have you owned it?

GraniteCrystal

I used to work for a company that manufactured one of the key pieces of that stove. Never got to use it personally but I can tell the science is solid but fragile. If you don't have the right conditions you won't get much power out. If it were me, I'd get a really solid stove (Jetboil, Primus, etc) and carry a portable charger for electronics similar to the one in my build thread.

CastleRockJeep

I've had one of these for quite some time. Maybe 2 years. I love it though it does burn through fuels quickly. I love that I don't have to pack/carry any fuel cans and I know I won't run out...

dwvninety

Thanks for your insight. How long have you owned it?

Going on 3 years. The stove puts out a lot off heat. I found out its hard to light if you use any wood you find outside so I just use wood pellets and Coleman Fire Starter. Once it starts even when it's super windy the fire will keep alive to cook your food.

Heholua

I've had one of these for quite some time. Maybe 2 years. I love it though it does burn through fuels quickly. I love that I don't have to pack/carry any fuel cans and I know I won't run out...

Thank you.

I used to work for a company that manufactured one of the key pieces of that stove. Never got to use it personally but I can tell the science is solid but fragile. If you don't have the right conditions you won't get much power out. If it were me, I'd get a really solid stove (Jetboil, Primus, etc) and carry a portable charger for electronics similar to the one in my build thread.

Thanks for your insight. The whole system seems very cool in theory, kind of like a camp stove and and goal zero all in one, but the execution has me sceptical.

GraniteCrystal

Thank you.

Thanks for your insight. The whole system seems very cool in theory, kind of like a camp stove and and goal zero all in one, but the execution has me sceptical.

The execution is actually pretty good. It's the physics that suck. Thermoelectric devices are extremely inefficient. You put 100W of power (via fire) into it and you'll get a few watts out. It's better than nothing (which may be what you have in the woods) but still incredibly inefficient. If you're going out for more than a week, it may be a good option because it's sustainable as long as you have a fire. This is why they work well in 3rd world countries where they use it every day. But for less than a week, like I said, I'd rather have a Jetboil and a small battery.

Heholua

The execution is actually pretty good. It's the physics that suck. Thermoelectric devices are extremely inefficient. You put 100W of power (via fire) into it and you'll get a few watts out. It's better than nothing (which may be what you have in the woods) but still incredibly inefficient. If you're going out for more than a week, it may be a good option because it's sustainable as long as you have a fire. This is why they work well in 3rd world countries where they use it every day. But for less than a week, like I said, I'd rather have a Jetboil and a small battery.

We should design something more efficient and make millions!:D:thumbup:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have not used one but have definitely heard it is a bitch to keep it hot enough to charge anything.

Top Bottom