Best place to mount a camera?

They also make an external battery charger that I would recommend to charge the batteries after swapping them out.

Rules of the go pro....

Down low conveys speed an action. If you are wheeling, a gopro up top (like on the windshield frame) will minimize obstacles...meaning, you can run a decently knarly trail, but it will look like a parking lot if the camera is up high. So, if you want action and speed (like running in the sand dunes) keep the camera low. If you are trying to show the scale of a trail (like black bear pass) you want it as high as possible. Speed you want to add if you are doing a rough trail where you are doing 5mph, but that gets boring to watch, so putting the camera down low will make it LOOK like you are going a lot faster.

If you want to make a movie, you need to get a bunch of shots from both angles, front and rear. If you want to add drama (ie a shelf road), mount the camera on the side of the jeep (the side that is facing the danger) and shoot that way, with a slightly downward angle.

Another awesome place for a gopro is usually behind the front tire (shows the action of the tire) but on the wrangler that isn't easy due to the wide flares.

Also, shoot in R3 (720p at 60fps.) Makes for awesome slowmo, and the wide aspect adds drama.

So, do any of you mount the cameras on the inside of the Jeep? Funny this topic came up, as I was looking for a place to mount 2 Go Pro mounts on the inside of the Jeep just yesterday. I was thinking one on the dash facing out, and one on the upper passenger side facing the driver. Just curious if and what you all do to get some good quality shots? Thanks!

So, do any of you mount the cameras on the inside of the Jeep? Funny this topic came up, as I was looking for a place to mount 2 Go Pro mounts on the inside of the Jeep just yesterday. I was thinking one on the dash facing out, and one on the upper passenger side facing the driver. Just curious if and what you all do to get some good quality shots? Thanks!

I mounted mine upside down under the rear-view mirror using a handlebar mounting bracket. Not really a great place, but it works. I've only toyed with it and have not shot anything serious so cant answer if it is really a good spot or not.

I have quite a few of the adhesive mounts, so I was thinking of mounting a Go Pro just on the right side of the center dash portion on my 13' JK. Really the only place I can think of that I would be able to reach it, and that it could get a good recording view, while still being able to be inside for security. Does anyone know if the Hero 2 can be configured for upside down use?

The problem with shooting through the inside is when the sun hits the glass just right you'll have nasty reflections ruining your video. I personally don't do it.

I have quite a few of the adhesive mounts, so I was thinking of mounting a Go Pro just on the right side of the center dash portion on my 13' JK. Really the only place I can think of that I would be able to reach it, and that it could get a good recording view, while still being able to be inside for security. Does anyone know if the Hero 2 can be configured for upside down use?

The GP2 supports upside down mode.

The problem with shooting through the inside is when the sun hits the glass just right you'll have nasty reflections ruining your video. I personally don't do it.

^^ This is very true! I got home last year after my CO trip and most of the video is scrap because I filmed it all from the inside.

The GP2 supports upside down mode.

I've got a Hero 1 that will do the upside down mode.

I just put my sticky mount on the windshield where I can reach it from the driver's seat. It gets the hood of the Jeep for good perspective and is easy to turn on and off from the driver's seat.

IMG_3062.jpgIMG_3063.jpg

Hmm, I hadn't even thought of that! I appreciate the advice. I'm going to try out a few different positions that were recommended on here and see what's what. Thanks a bunch!!

^^ This is very true! I got home last year after my CO trip and most of the video is scrap because I filmed it all from the inside.

I've got a Hero 1 that will do the upside down mode.

I just put my sticky mount on the windshield where I can reach it from the driver's seat. It gets the hood of the Jeep for good perspective and is easy to turn on and off from the driver's seat.

View attachment 40250View attachment 40251

I like this camera mount position. Just how secure are the adhesive mounts? Wondering how they hold up to weather, rain etc.

Top Bottom