Best model to begin a build

Another thing to consider is to snatch a pimped out JK from one of the forums.
I've seen some sick rigs for sale out there really cheap. I don't look much cause every time I look I wish I did it before I bought mine form the dealer ...
I do like the fact that I am shaping mine exactly the way I want it though ...

Another thing to consider is to snatch a pimped out JK from one of the forums.
I've seen some sick rigs for sale out there really cheap. I don't look much cause every time I look I wish I did it before I bought mine form the dealer ...
I do like the fact that I am shaping mine exactly the way I want it though ...

depending your location, there is one in Illinois for 34K I saw on the Jeep recycler in the JK-Forum just this morning.

100%...buy the Rubi....

Pull it off the lot and slap a 3.5" lift on it, 35's, 1.5" wheel spacers, and a tow strap and go wheelin'!

Thats what my brother did...here's his Rubi!

2012-08-18_17-23-02_858.jpg

2012-08-18_17-23-54_916.jpg

2012-08-18_13-56-31_580.jpg

I truly appreciate everybody's opinions shared here. You have given me MANY thing to think about, but I feel that I have a much better idea of the path I will take. I definitely think i will go with a new model, and this will (most likely) be a long term build. All I have to do now is to wait for the end of my current lease, and I'm off to the Jeep dealership. I just hope someone around me will have a Crush Orange model (because this color is the only thing keeping my wife interested in the project) when it's time.

I'm contemplating this myself. My next JK I'm building upo from the get go with 40s, Evo double throwdown system, Evo longarms, and Dynatrac PR60 axles. The downside is alot of the Sport models I've been looking at online don't have the options the Rubicon has. I basically want one that is fully loaded minus leather seats, since I plan to swap out the seats with Mastercraft seats. The xfer case isn't an issue since I'm putting at Atlas II in my build list.

That's 25K plus in upgrades, not counting cost of jeep but a nice big boy rig when all done

I truly appreciate everybody's opinions shared here. You have given me MANY thing to think about, but I feel that I have a much better idea of the path I will take. I definitely think i will go with a new model, and this will (most likely) be a long term build. All I have to do now is to wait for the end of my current lease, and I'm off to the Jeep dealership. I just hope someone around me will have a Crush Orange model (because this color is the only thing keeping my wife interested in the project) when it's time.

I drove 3 and a half hours to get my Jeep . when you're ready expand your search area and get the Jeep you want . personally I'd rather not have to say later I wish I woulda got this this or that .

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

My first Jeep was a used '98 XJ that was bone stock. Since I'd never had a 4X4 nor driven off road I had no idea what I was in for as far as mods. Well, I got bit by the addict bug and went through 3 lift kits before the final one that I ran for a few years (3.5") and slowly added progressively bigger tires. Started out with 28s, went to 30s, then 31s and finally 33s. After wheeling for a while I added a rear ARB locker. Once I went to the 33's I had no choice but to re-gear the axles and decided to go from 3.07 to 4.56 and it made a huge difference. This is also when I added my front locker (figured since they would have the axle open for the gears I might as well add the 2nd locker). I added a lot of other stuff along the way as well and spent far more than $15,000 on just modifications. It was a VERY capable rig but when you boil it all down, it was the equivalent of my Rubicon when it was stock. I'd say go Rubicon unless you're going to go crazy big. If you're going to stick to 35s or 37s then I'd advise you to go Rubicon. Its cheaper in the long run and you can do just about any trail you want while its stock.

Just my :twocents:

I have to agree with almost everyone here. I bought an '07 JKU. Got a smokin deal and was happy with my purchase. I am 50/50 saying I should have picked up a Rubi. I am happy with my choice, but if I had gotten the Rubi, I could have bought a budget boost on 35's and would be good. I now have to do everything, Lockers, Axle truss up front, and a few other things that came standard with the Rubi. I went the way I did because I figured, hey its a Jeep I can go anywhere and not pay extra for a Rubi decal. I also did not want electric windows and that sort of thing. I should have gone Rubi, but either way I still love my Jeep!

Paratroopers stay up longer!

Build

I am doing the same, I bought a 2010 JKU Islander and I am slowly building it as much as possible. I am stationed in Germany and I am limited in what I can get. So, I am saving money to build mine as soon as I get back to the States. I am planning on a Full Traction 4 inch long arm kit, Pro Rock 60's w/ 5.13 gears, manual OX lockers (Maybe ARB Lockers undecided), Atlas II transfer case or I may by a used Rubicon TC, and run 38 inch tires. I plan on doing all the work myself. I bought mine because I liked the Color and the Islander package. Besides there cannot be that many lifted, modded out JKU Islanders.

I would say that unless you have 20k$ to put onto your Sport/Sahara, spend the extra 8k$ and get the Rubi. At least then you have a 44 up front, a better t-case, electric discos and lockers. This will get you a long way and allow you to wheel, learn and build all at the same time.

I would think it depends on your budget, what you can afford, what your planning on doing with it.. What is your end goal.. I bought a sport, has everything I wanted.. For me buying a Rubi would have been a waste of Money,but that's just me.. And after reading, lockers wont lock or unlock, sway bars having the same issue, Heated seats suck, so i'm glad I got my Cheapo sport that is bad ass btw.

same thing that I tell my wife. "At least you know I'm spending all my money on the jeep and not on another woman, or drugs. Plus I'm home every night in the garage!"

You will still get :chatterbox: about it and :furious3: about the cost of parts. she will get :bored01: of you :blahblah: about the jeep and what your going to do. Some days you will turn to us for :grouphug: and some to :honey: during this process. when you break out the :honey: keep :dont_tell: or jeepers will show up to :celebrate:!! then you will recive :stick hiting::furious3::mad: but in the end we all :giveup: to our addiction. :beer:

This is the funniest post i've seen in a long time,buy the way I went with the Sport,I'm Throwing money at it right now ,gears ,air lockers..the way I want it :yup:

You can have all the stuff in the world but if you can't drive then it does you no good. Just saying.

Top Bottom