Benatc1's Big Black to be named later build thread 2.0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
actually debating that, was going to try and figure out what powder coat will cost and see, but leaning towards taking my time painting it as it will be cheaper. any suggestions?

I've done it both ways and prefer powder coating. I use a shop up in Moundhouse and their prices are very reasonable (compared to what I used to get down in socal) and have fast turn around. I bet they could do it for about $150 or less.

TRLJNKY

Ben,Id strongly consider Eddies advice. Sucks you will have to contain the excitement and wait but I think you will be much happier with the one and done aspect for the long haul

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

MTG

Caught the Bug
actually debating that, was going to try and figure out what powder coat will cost and see, but leaning towards taking my time painting it as it will be cheaper. any suggestions?

It's freezing here...unless you want it paint matched, I would just go get it powder coated. Bigger question is where are you going to relocate your switches?

benatc1

Hooked
I've done it both ways and prefer powder coating. I use a shop up in Moundhouse and their prices are very reasonable (compared to what I used to get down in socal) and have fast turn around. I bet they could do it for about $150 or less.
Thats not bad at all, especially factoring in my time, plus the finish will be nicer. I'm going to look them up and give them a call. also, I'm trying to remember what I've read, do you recommend installing for fit? then powder coat, then final install??

Ben,Id strongly consider Eddies advice. Sucks you will have to contain the excitement and wait but I think you will be much happier with the one and done aspect for the long haul

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

yea i hear ya, it will be nicer that way
It's freezing here...unless you want it paint matched, I would just go get it powder coated. Bigger question is where are you going to relocate your switches?
that's true too, I didn't even think of that with the temp, will take forever. being my jeep is black now, a black powdercoat will get the job done. man I don't about the switches. I was thinking I may rig them up in the lower bar but I need to figure out how because the switch panel is the concealed mount one. I could always get some good double sided mounting tape and put it anywhere on the dash, or just drill holes. I'm not loving the idea of having it near my sway bar button because it's not easily accessible for me as I'm so tall but I definitely need to figure something out. any ideas would be helpful!

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Other than the cold temp, I would get it powder coated for sure. I painted mine myself, and the back section looks decent, but the front is getting beat up over time and I know I didnt do a great job, but even with a decent primer and paint, it chips off very easily for me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, painting in cold temps is harder to do. There are ways to do it but it'll take a lot more time. Also, when I painted mine, I used rollbar paint and while it worked great, it costs a lot per can and I used a lot of cans. I think for the amount of time, effort and cost, powder coating turned out to be a better option.

The place I use is called Alltizer and they're located close to the Chocolate Nugget up in Moundhouse... wait, did I just say that out loud? LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So you don't scratch up your paint installing and removing over and over for fitment.. that part sucked

Yup. Installing the Rock Hard cage requires some effort and if you do it after getting it painted or powder coated, you'll beat up your nice finish.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Had mine powder coated for $150 just like Eddie mentioned.

I suggest doing a test fit on the cage and a pre install before coating that way you know how it's installed so you don't mess the powder up when you go to reinstall

benatc1

Hooked
Other than the cold temp, I would get it powder coated for sure. I painted mine myself, and the back section looks decent, but the front is getting beat up over time and I know I didnt do a great job, but even with a decent primer and paint, it chips off very easily for me.

good to know, it would be a bitch to touch up nicely, sounds like its work paying a little extra to have it right

As mentioned, painting in cold temps is harder to do. There are ways to do it but it'll take a lot more time. Also, when I painted mine, I used rollbar paint and while it worked great, it costs a lot per can and I used a lot of cans. I think for the amount of time, effort and cost, powder coating turned out to be a better option.

The place I use is called Alltizer and they're located close to the Chocolate Nugget up in Moundhouse... wait, did I just say that out loud? LOL

"Chocolate Nugget up in Moundhouse"LOL!! thats great, ill give them a call today, if you've had good luck im sure I will too! Thanks for the info!

Pre-fit before paint! You won't regret it

sounds like its the way to go

Had mine powder coated for $150 just like Eddie mentioned.

I suggest doing a test fit on the cage and a pre install before coating that way you know how it's installed so you don't mess the powder up when you go to reinstall

seems like 150 is probably what to expect which is more than worth it in my eyes, especially with everyone chiming in

IMG_1482336341.003753.jpg . I wish I could remember who I snapped this picture of to give credit to. Thought it was a good idea to keep from scratching the dash. I second powder coating. I also recommend the bar across the dash be done in flat so as to keep the glare down, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I could remember who I snapped this picture of to give credit to. Thought it was a good idea to keep from scratching the dash. I second powder coating. I also recommend the bar across the dash be done in flat so as to keep the glare down, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

...... ummm, is that the bottom of a 1 gallon milk jug? :thinking: :crazyeyes: :D

Top Bottom