Beginner Overland Tools

squirrelmasta

What tools do you use to find your overland routes? I'm specifically in NV so a lot of BLM but also close to CA so I know there are a lot of areas in the Sierra's too (hopefully adventuring out further the more we do). Apps, forums, websites, etc let me know what you use. I want to make sure I'm in legal areas and obviously I'm a beginner. The wife and I just got our first jeep and want to get out and try this before investing in more into the hobby / life style.

Thanks.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
What tools do you use to find your overland routes? I'm specifically in NV so a lot of BLM but also close to CA so I know there are a lot of areas in the Sierra's too (hopefully adventuring out further the more we do). Apps, forums, websites, etc let me know what you use. I want to make sure I'm in legal areas and obviously I'm a beginner. The wife and I just got our first jeep and want to get out and try this before investing in more into the hobby / life style.

Thanks.

Search Back Country maps. And Welcome !!!

Upvote 0

-AINOKEA-

Hooked

Thanks.

Can’t help you as far as legal areas go.. but having some type of navigation is essential. Personally, I use Gaia gps for a nav aid since pretty detailed maps and routes can be downloaded to your phone. Also, if your rig has Apple CarPlay, it can be pulled up on the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Upvote 0

desertrunner

I ended up buying the OnX off road it's like $25 / year and I think the interface works pretty well. I'll use gaia or avenza from time to time they tend to be easier to see the trail numbers. OnX does a great job with popular trails though with ratings and pictures and super easy to download offline maps

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Upvote 0

TahoeBen

Thanks.
Check out https://ohv.nv.gov/trails

I’ve lived in Incline for 11 years but only discovered that site a few weeks ago. I have a bunch of areas to explore this summer and we’ll see how difficult the drives are. Some trails are forest service type roads, others end up having actual obstacles.

I Google/YouTube/forum search as much as possible, then load gps coordinates into Google AND Apple Maps (since you never know which one will work on any given day), and never go somewhere I can’t hike out of. Also share your intended location with someone not going on the trip just in case.

Always bring at least a second, equally capable rig- and make friends with guys like Eddie that always have a spare part.

Upvote 0

wjtstudios

Hooked
A more stand alone setup is the garmin overlander. You can download a ton of maps from different sources to it. It also does great maintaining signal even in forest and canyons. Been very happy with mine

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks.
You know, there was a time when people did all this with a paper map and a compass. In fact, those were the best of times and it's kind of a shame that there's the internet, apps, gps and other tools that people can use these days. As far as "legal" trails go, if you get to a point where it doesn't look like you shouldn't go any further, there's probably a reason for it. Just use your better judgement and you'll most likely be fine 99.9% of the time. What I'm trying to say is, there's nothing to invest other than your time. :)

Upvote 0
I use Gaia to get and idea of the area I’m going to like using an old map or atlas book. After is get to the area I just explore and go on roads that just look interesting. The biggest thing I can say from off-roading my whole life in this state is to just know your limits. But at least in southern Nevada I usually find cool stuff from random exploring and word of mouth. If you are in northern Nevada the are just random roads/trails that go to amazing stuff for days.

Upvote 0

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
You know, there was a time when people did all this with a paper map and a compass. In fact, those were the best of times and it's kind of a shame that there's the internet, apps, gps and other tools that people can use these days. As far as "legal" trails go, if you get to a point where it doesn't look like you shouldn't go any further, there's probably a reason for it. Just use your better judgement and you'll most likely be fine 99.9% of the time. What I'm trying to say is, there's nothing to invest other than your time. :)
I had an Atlas out just the other day, still can’t beat them.

Upvote 0

Ddays

Hooked
You know, there was a time when people did all this with a paper map and a compass. In fact, those were the best of times and it's kind of a shame that there's the internet, apps, gps and other tools that people can use these days.

There's a lot to be said for not knowing where you will end up on a new to you trail or even a backroad. That's what makes exploring so much fun.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's a lot to be said for not knowing where you will end up on a new to you trail or even a backroad. That's what makes exploring so much fun.
I think so. Not really an adventure when you can find your way to wherever you planned to go, just as easily as your bathroom at night and in the dark.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom