Auxbeam Switch Panel Wiring with questions...

mr.travo

I FINALLY bought the Auxbeam GA80 8 gang switch for my JK. It came in yesterday and I am already modifying things in the kit to be better than they came. The battery wire they provide would probably work for a side by side or 4 wheeler, but I wouldn't trust it in the jeep. It's some pretty short and dinky 8 gauge wire. Already I am going to get some pure copper 6 gauge instead. I found this Amazon 6 gauge wire for a decent price.

I also had ordered 2 sets of Auxbeam's LED lights. These in white and these in amber. I am pretty impressed with the wiring for these lights and the harnesses are very well put together. The downfall is in the instructions it doesn't provide a wiring diagram on how to wire them up to the Auxbeam switch panel. The harness has a switch and relay already mated up to everything. When wiring it up to the Auxbeam switch panel, do I keep the provided relays intact? I am assuming so since the GA80 doesn't seem to have any built in relays. I know I will be cutting out the switches and terminating those ends with heat shrink. I am pretty good at wiring but I would like some other input so I don't accidentally catch my Jeep on fire, LOL!

As for the mounting plate for the GA80 box under the hood, I went ahead and ordered this mount from Metalcloak as I have already relocated my vacuum pump up to the engine bay. I will drill the proper holes in this mounting bracket for the Auxbeam. I liked this one because it also has another mounting tab so it has three points of contact to the body instead of just two.

Other than that, I am just waiting on all my parts to finish the build. If someone with a little more knowhow and can confirm that I need to keep the relays for the lights or not that would be great.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
cut off the relays, the auxbeam is solid state no additional relays required.
With the circuit breaker included, use the included battery wire, no need for a larger gauge wire.

mr.travo

cut off the relays, the auxbeam is solid state no additional relays required.
With the circuit breaker included, use the included battery wire, no need for a larger gauge wire.
Thank you. As for the battery cables they are not long enough to reach over to the drivers side would 6 gauge do any harm??

mr.travo

ah, you're using a mount that goes on the brake booster side, 6ga works fine
Yes I am. Ok, that sounds good. I am going to get some then.

One more quick follow up question-
When you talked about the GA80 being a solid state unit, how does that work vs a traditional relay? I understand solid state as in hard drives and understand that so I am guessing that it's just a fully electronic way of boosting the amperage to what is needed instead of using a standard relay? Just like to keep up with the times and learn what I can.

Thank you!!

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes I am. Ok, that sounds good. I am going to get some then.

One more quick follow up question-
When you talked about the GA80 being a solid state unit, how does that work vs a traditional relay? I understand solid state as in hard drives and understand that so I am guessing that it's just a fully electronic way of boosting the amperage to what is needed instead of using a standard relay? Just like to keep up with the times and learn what I can.

Thank you!!
works basically the same, except no mechanical parts in the solid-state relay, makes them last longer, be more waterproof.

downside if it fails, can't simply replace a single relay but have yet to personally see one fail if installed correctly.

jamesrw30

I've never looked at these Auxbeam switch panels. They are a pretty good price. They a solid choice? I like the look of it. Also, would the switch panel mount to the CB Bar?

Last edited:

mr.travo

They have very good reviews. It seems to be made very well. It doesn’t feel cheap and appears to be durable. I guess time will tell but it has some really good signs of lasting.

Top Bottom