Automatic Transmission

Txjkjpr

I have a 2010 JKU 3.8L with a automatic transmission. I noticed a leak in my cooler line, as the rubber hose connection, when I was installing some rock lights. I took it into the shop to have the lines repaired and service done on the transmission (filter and fluid change). The reputable (I state this because they have a reputation of being honest, and providing quality work and they stand behind their craftsmanship and parts), told me that my fluid was burnt and that it seemed to have gotten extremely hot. He also told me that the trans checked out for shift points and there didn't seem to be any slipping in the transmission, but thought that if the service was done then things start to happen. His suggestion was run it unless you plan on doing Moab. I am in a month and a half, so I opted to have it rebuilt. They called this morning and said the planetary gears were in good shape so those didn't need to be replaced. He is going to upgrade internal parts and replace the torque converter since it was blue from the heat.

My question is, has anyone had these issues? I did some searching and found out that there was a recall on the transmission cooler line for leaking and some on the forums said that they believe that has lead to their transmission issues.

Any input would be welcome. Thanks.

I have a 2010 JKU 3.8L with a automatic transmission. I noticed a leak in my cooler line, as the rubber hose connection, when I was installing some rock lights. I took it into the shop to have the lines repaired and service done on the transmission (filter and fluid change). The reputable (I state this because they have a reputation of being honest, and providing quality work and they stand behind their craftsmanship and parts), told me that my fluid was burnt and that it seemed to have gotten extremely hot. He also told me that the trans checked out for shift points and there didn't seem to be any slipping in the transmission, but thought that if the service was done then things start to happen. His suggestion was run it unless you plan on doing Moab. I am in a month and a half, so I opted to have it rebuilt. They called this morning and said the planetary gears were in good shape so those didn't need to be replaced. He is going to upgrade internal parts and replace the torque converter since it was blue from the heat.

My question is, has anyone had these issues? I did some searching and found out that there was a recall on the transmission cooler line for leaking and some on the forums said that they believe that has lead to their transmission issues.

Any input would be welcome. Thanks.

I definitely remember the issue with JK's catching on fire because of leaking fluid from the lines hitting the hot exhaust. If the cooler isn't doing its job then it is entirely possible that the transmission overheated and was damaged. When I had an automatic, I installed a gauge just so I could monitor how hot the transmission and fluid was getting on long mountain climbs.

jknikos

there are many issues of overheating auto jks 2007-2011. Adding an extra cooler will prevent the gearbox from overheating.

Txjkjpr

there are many issues of overheating auto jks 2007-2011. Adding an extra cooler will prevent the gearbox from overheating.

Thanks for the information. I was just looking at that online. Seems to be a common issue if there are that many vendors supplying JK specific coolers.

Top Bottom