Australia family found after 10 days in wilderness

UpsideUp

Great learning lessons to be gained here. As always leave a route plan, pack extra rations with a way to get water, keep spare warm and cold weather clothing. Have some type of communications CB, Cell phone (charged) or best yet a HAM. First aid with basic medications, extra fuel if you can, and study up on signaling for help.
I'm sure there is more if anybody would like to add to list on what they enjoy bringing "just in case"?
Plus "close call" stories would be great to hear as well if you got them?
Be safe and get home to see your families!

Wardell

I'll add a few things:

If you are going through an isolated area with no cell coverage, I'd take a Sat phone instead. Radios can be great, but unless you know which frequencies are being monitored within range to you, you will have to hunt through them before you reach anyone. If it's a urgent 911 type emergency (and fortunately this wasn't) that lost time could make a huge difference. With a Sat phone, all you need is a clear line of sight to the sky, and then it's a straight dial for help.

A map and compass as well as proper GPS, so when you do get reach someone you can give them an exact grid reference of where to find you.

Also, make sure you have a winch and all your recovery gear so you can self recover. From the pic, it looks like a winch would have saved them 10 days of being stuck...

And... if you intend to go off roading (they mention a "wrong turn" in the article, so maybe they didn't?) always travel with two or more vehicles. That gives you more options for recovery, and worse case if one vehicle is not recoverable or breaks and can't be fixed enough to tow out, you can use the still operational vehicle to go find more help.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Wow! Good that everyone is OK! This could have gone so bad so easily. Better buy a lottery ticket mate!:yup:

LeighP

Yeah, he got turned around, then he got bogged and had no way to get it out.....from the pics, it doesn't look like he tried too hard.
Pretty much had no off road gear with him.
They're lucky, its summer here, the area he was stuck gets real hot.

Top Bottom